I finally figured out how to send pics!!!

Hey, no fair! Where did you get those knives?
smile.gif
Seriously, I didn't know there was a waved CQC8. How much did you pay for it? And does the ti CQC6 actually have a ti blade?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Hi RR

If I told you how much I paid for the CQC-8 and my wife ever found out b/c it was in print, you probably will not see anymore posts from me
smile.gif

The ti CQC6 does actually have a ti blade here is a comparison photo
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=81821&a=597248&p=12276054

The top knife is the ti bladed CQC6 and you can see there is some differences in the blade.

You can also feel a slight difference in the weight between the two.

Also if you turn the ti CQC6 around you can see a slightly rough coating about an 1/8th of an inch from the cutting edge. Mr. Emerson told me it was to make it sharper as you use it more to cut things with. I think there was an article in COMBAT KNIVES (1st issue) about the coating he used on a titanium blade that if you used it made the blade sharper. I can't recall what the name of the coating is............maybe I'll find the issue in my pile of mags somewhere or someone out there might know what it's called.......

Ross T.

I believe the actual coating name is Tunsten Carbide. It is a special technologie and helps maintain the Blades edge. You all may recall Tunsten Carbide is what is used on drills, bores etc. to prolong it's life.

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

Hey Pigsticker

Im sure it's the wave feature. I saw Mr. Emerson at the NY knife show and took the CQC-8 out of my case and he said. "Wow one of the CQC-8's with the wave. Where'd you get this?"

So I figured it's the wave feature. It also works as the wave feature. The only thing is the wave isn't as pronounced as on the production Commanders. You can't tell on the photo but there is a crest on the wave. Is it called the crest? The part of the wave that comes up over?????

Ross T.

I don't think you could get it to work like the commander. Still looks more like a thumb ramp. Not a pronounced enough hook to grap your pocket upon opening.

I believe it is the wave feature. Emerson made 4+1 knives CQC8's with the wave.

Jason

Hey Pigsticker

Just to make sure again I pocketed it and drew the blade again and it worked again. Locked up fine too.

The pic doesn't do it justice. It really isn't even a pic, I just laid it on my scanner and sent it that way(Don't have anymore money after buying custom Emersons to afford a digital camera). Anyways if you look at it you can tell there is a semi-circular notch cut out to form the wave. Again it's not as pronounced as the wave on the Commanders and ES1-M's but it is after all a proto-type.

I'm sure if Mr. Emerson produces the CQC-8 as a production model w/wave it would be more pronounced. Oh I'd love to have one of them maybe two............hmmmmmm HEY ERNIE YOU LISTENING!!!!!!
smile.gif

Ross T.

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 25 September 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 25 September 1999).]

Hi again guys,

I was kinda bored this weekend and started looking through some old magazines and found the article on the Emerson titanium blades and the coating that is put on them. You were close Tamishigiri.......

"The titanium blade is coated with blue tantalum carbide. At first I thought the titanium blade was dull, then I thought I was losing my mind, 'cause I thought the blade was getting sharper the more I used it.

Another call to Emerson cleared things up. The tantalum carbide coating process is something that Ernest was turned onto by fellow custom knifemaker Wayne Goddard. The titanium blade is coated with the tantalum carbide, and it tends to get more "abrasive" (read sharper) as you use it.

The titanium blade really grabbed and ripped into rope, meat and cloth during the various tests I performed. This knife isn't a regular production version-yet! Ernest tells me he has been sending out various test samples to folks for over a year to see how the knife would perform. to date, there has been no negative feedback. The non-magnetic qualities of a titanium blade are extremely useful under certain conditions. Some people won't be able to (literally) live without one."

So the coating is called tantalum carbide. I wonder if Mr. Emerson is going to be coating the titanium Commanders with this?

Thanks
Ross T.

Thanks for the correction and clarification.
Empty your cup anytime bro ! Shows me once again how much I can learn and always keep SHOSIN (beginners mind.
Thankyou for the illuminada !

------------------
"This is the law:
There is no possible victory in defense, The Sword is more important than the shield, And skill is more important than either, The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental."

ROSANGHAL,

Those are some awesome looking blades.
I am curious as to your thoughts on overall quality and strength on these models as I have read conflicting opinions.

------------------
The greatest thought that has ever entered my mind is that one day I will have to stand before a Holy God and give an account of my life.
*Daniel Webster

Rev 20:12

Hello Scarman

I've had no quality problems with any of my custom Emersons. Now I did run into a production Raven where the liner lock failed with just finger pressure on it. Luckily it wasn't mine and the Raven I had first gotten had a minor problem that was fixed promptly by the Emersons. But those are production models.

The customs on the other hand and I can only speak for mine and a few CQC-7s and the one CQC-6 dress model I handled, but wasn't quick enough to snag it
frown.gif
all locked up solid. They open extremely smooth. The titanium CQC-6 I have opens smooth and quick but as you open it you can hear the titanium grind a little. All of the handles feel nice and secure in my hand. The handles seem to grab at my grip so that my hand would not slide up onto the blade or indexing would be extremely easy with them. Those are what I have noticed in the Emersons quality and what I have found in all my customs and the others I've fondled. Those are what I look for in my Emersons.

What quality problems have you heard maybe Im not looking hard enough or haven't seen enough? You may also want to as Tamisigiri if he has had any quality problems with any of his customs or run into any along the way.

I'm not a very educated on the finer points on knives, being a collector, but I do know what I like and I find most of the blades Mr. Emerson makes are ones I like to have.

You may also want to talk to or ask Les Robertson about quality issues I know he has seen and held a lot more Emersons than I ever had or will, but I will warn you there is no love lost between Mr. Emerson and Mr. Robertson.

Oooops almost forgot to answer your strength question. I haven't used any of my customs YET but I have used a fair amount of production ones. Namely the Commanders. All of them haven't failed in any of the test I've put them thru (except that one Raven). The Commander, espcially, during some of my tactical study groups just carve everything in its path right up without a hitch.

Hope this helps. Let us know what issue or opinions you have heard so I know specifically what to look for.

Hope I've answered your question if not let me know.

Ross T.

[This message has been edited by ROSANGHAL (edited 09 October 1999).]

Back