I found some nice strops - cheap!

Hey check these strops out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=2174597398

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=2174861020

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=475&item=2175124040

I recently won one for about $15.60 shipped. I'm pretty impressed with it. I guess this guy makes them himself. The wood is beautiful. I'm talking to him now about the possibility of him making a (bigger) custom strop for me to my specs. For the price I think everyone should get one of these and a little compound to go with it.

Just thought I'd pass on a deal to everyone.

Fulloflead,

If he does custom strops please post, might be something a guy needs.

fulloflead,
That's a nice looking strop. It reminds me of Hand American quality but I like that you can hang this one on a nail in between stroppings making it very handy. Good design.

Thanks for sharing...

-The Raptor--

Originally posted by .45acp
Fulloflead,

If he does custom strops please post, might be something a guy needs.

OK. If he does make me a custom one - he says he's made a custom one for a guy before - I'll SURELY write about it on this forum.

I've written at length about stropping on this forum. I'm a big fan of them and it's what I use to touch up my blade. If I strop often (which I do) I don't have to go back to the hone for a LONG LONG time.

In fact, I have a D2 Axis AFCK that I've been stropping (and using in an urban environment) for nearly a year after I sharpened it really well at a lesser angle just once. It's still hair-poppin' sharp and shows no sign that I'll need to go back to the hone anytime soon. But then... it IS D2.;)

I have a friend who owns a leather store (Shoe Repair +) that will make strops to order and he quite frankly is cheap. Might need to get him to give out his phone number to you guys.

Those are nice prices on those strops FOL, when you consider a Case strop is around 50 bucks thos are really nice priced!

Originally posted by NGK-Webmaster
I have a friend who owns a leather store (Shoe Repair +) that will make strops to order and he quite frankly is cheap. Might need to get him to give out his phone number to you guys.

WELL...
What are you waiting for?:confused: ;)

Cough it up, man. Let's have it.;)

I think I'd like to try a thinner strop and have one made for me. I think one about an inch and a half wide would work better on recurve knives.

I also think I'd also like one REALLY long - like 30 inches or so to get a nice LOOOOONG stroke to really get some heat and friction going on. Just a theory but I think a 1.5" wide strop 30 inches long of a little thicker, tough and little rough leather would be wonderful!

Hmm They look really nice. I've been thinking about getting one to try it out. At those prices, I may just have to now. thnx for the heads up.

Fulloflead,

The more I use a strop loaded with CO the more I like it. IMO you are correct, a blade made from good steel and well maintained with a strop loaded with CO does not require much hone work.

Yeah I plased a bid on one :) even thou I have never used one . Whats the best compound to use and were can i get some ? Websites would help .

Kennieyk,

Buy two, one to load with CO, and another to use plain without compounds.

Try Hand American,
I use a fair bit of thier stuff and they have CO and Si as well as stones, strops and hones.

Good Luck

Back