I give you guys one week

For handgun suggestions.

I turn 21 in a week, and I'm eyeballing a Walther P99 and the Desert Eagle handgun.

What do you guys think that would be a good starter handgun?

Forget it.

...Glock Model 23. That's all you need to know.
smile.gif

Moderator, you can now close this thread.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

B00000ISVR.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

biggrin.gif

I just hope we're not going to see a posting from T4 titled "well, I shot myself in the finger."
wink.gif

I have to echo glockman, I have a Glock 23 and 27. It is the most reliable brand I have ever shot. Besides more then half the law enforcement agencies (FBI included) in the world can't be wrong.
Nick

Glock 17 with preban mags for the same price as an Desert Eagle. Nice gun.

/Colinz

Glock Model 23. Glock is carried by approximately 66% of American Law Enforcement because it's easy to shoot well, it's reliable, it's accurate, and if somehow you manage to break it - it fixes easily. It's light and easy to carry. It handles recoil well. It handles neglect better than almost every other weapon out there today.
There's no going wrong with a Glock as your starting point.

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

Another reason Glocks are so popular is that they are very inexpensive for LEO's and FTE purchases.

TTTT,
A good starter handgun would be a used S&W 686 or a Browning Buckmark or some other .22 pistol. That's if you have no prior shooting experience.

WOW, where can I get a pancake holster for the nerf gun!
biggrin.gif

But yeah, I had some shooting experience, and I somewhat like my mom's Rossi .357 revolver with a 2 inch barrel. But I want to check out an auto.

I never gave the glock a thought, because they just didn't really trip my trigger so to speak.

But I would also consider an AR-7 pistol to go with my rifle too.

If possible, go to a gunshop or range where you can handle and maybe shoot some different models. The Glock's an excellent firearm but if it doesn't fit your hand...

TTTT, some pistols that you may want to check out would be the CZ 75B, CZ Z40, HS 2000, and if you like the Browning Hi Power, the Arcus 9mm or FEG copies are good serviceable pistols. All of these are around $300.

Forget the Desert Eagle. As for the Walther, why would you want something brought into the US by Smith & Wesson?

My suggestion? Glock 17 or 19, 23 or 30, or HK USP in any flavor. Good starters that you can depend on

Kevin

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
Owner, BladeForums.com

The Desert Eagle is a rotten choice for a first handgun. It is finicky, requires expensive ammunition, and is unnecessarily complex for a sidearm. Desert Eagles must be cleaned/inspected/maintained far too rigorously and frequently,and any supposed advantage of the powerful Magnum (.357/.41/.44) cartridges is downplayed by a loss of velocity due to the DE's gas operation. The .50AE is even more expensive, unwieldy, and difficult to find ammo for.
They are neat, powerful, and unique...but that's no reason to choose a defensive or sporting sidearm--especially your first.
My limited experience with the Walther had been positive. However, I can recommend a Glock 17 or 19, Ruger revolver, or Browning Hi-Power without reservation.

A lot of this depends on your level of experience with handguns and what kinds of shooting you want to do with it. I think that most people are assuming you have little or no shooting experience and are primarily looking for a defensive weapon. If that is correct than the advice already offered should do you well. If not, let us know more about your shooting background and what you intend to do with this handgun.

One thing I would mention is that if you're new to shooting you may want to think about getting one of the defensive caliber autos (9mm, .45, .40 S&W, or .357 SIG) that can accept a .22 conversion. My first handgun was a Taurus PT-92 9mm with a Taurus .22 LR conversion kit. That kind of arrangement will let you practice your technique with the actual weapon you intend to use, but with the lower recoil and cheaper ammunition of a .22.

I have to agree with the crowd that has already suggested a Glock as the ideal first pistol. They are relatively inexpensive, incredibly reliable, and simple to operate.

I would also suggest that you start with a 9mm and not one of the more powerful defensive rounds. It is easier to learn good technique with a lighter round. (Another good reason to shoot a lot of .22s!) 9mm ammunition is also considerably less expensive than any of the other defensive rounds for semi-autos. If you become proficient with a 9mm and still want more you won't have any trouble stepping up to something heavier later.

Above all else, get a handgun that you enjoy shooting. Lots of practice will make more difference to your effectiveness than your choice of firearm, caliber, or bullet type. Have fun!

--Bob Q

If you like the Desert Eagle for stopping power, you should try this baby. Maybe you can get a custom-made belt feed.

------------------
My mind may not be sharp, but my knife is.

The Truth is out there. Go out once in a while and look for it.

Don´t let my Spyder bite you.

The FBI...The people that gave you the 10mm lite.
Glock does not rule.
Glocks were designed for low cost, mass produced, disposable military handguns.
The handgun is a low priority item. Glocks were designed to carry WITHOUT a round in the chamber. They are good guns within thier limits.
Remember a COP is not a handgun expert. It is a tool that he/she has to carry. The simpler with less maintenence the better.
If you want a good first and always gun get a .357 revolver, preferably a S&W K or L frame or a Ruger doouble action with a 3 to 5' barrel. This is the most versatile handgun that you can own. Pair that with a Marlin leveraction carbine and you could get by for the rest of your life. Good automatic pistols are Springfield,Ruger, Walther, Browning, SIG, H&K, Para Ordnance, SMith & Wesson. This is a short list. The important thing is to pick a pistol that fits your hand well. Do not worry about 9mm Vs .45 or 10mm Vs .40 etc. There are good bullets available in all calibers. Bullet placement is the key.

The .357mag. has the best one shot stop record on the street. The .45ACP the second best. Any other cartridge has to go to a +P or +P+ load to get near this record. These high pressure loads just stress the gun,make loud noise, increase recoil/muzzle flip and make it more dificult to consistantly hit your target.

I know this will chap some a$$es but it is 30 years of experience and study in real world combat shooting and training.

Whatever you choose enjoy. The thing is to shoot, shoot straight and shoot smart.

Cheers,

ts

------------------
Guns are for show. Knifes are for Pros.

Well today's my birthday, and I'm still out there looking.

A while back, at a pawn shop in my area, I had noticed one of those H&K VP70z handguns, and I remember an old review that I noticed in an issue of American Rifleman, are these any good in your opinion?

Jimmy, Some COPs are handgun experts. Stay with the Glock, you can't go wrong.

------------------
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, It's the sudden stop at the end.

Jimmy?

Well I think that I will check out the local indoor gun range, since they rent out guns, I might just rent a Glock. I saw one of those long barrled glock 17 pistols, and since I most likely won't be packing for a while, I was just wondering if there is a significant difference between the smaller and the larger ones.

Don't even consider the Desert Eagle.

I'd also say don't go with an "L" model Glock as your first gun.

First, decide if you want a revolver or semi-auto. A name brand revolver in .38/.357 will serve you well. For semi-autos, I'd recommend Glock, Sig, or H&K. I'd advise against S&W (personal opinion). The Glock compacts are outstanding. I'm a .45 fan and I love the Glock 30. If you have a chance to rent different models look for one that fits your hand well in a caliber that you want, then do some shooting.

Remember what opinions are like, and that everybody has one. Ultimately it is your choice, so do your research and you'll make a good choice for you. Don't get too exotic with your first gun.

------------------
Be polite and professional...but have a plan to kill anyone you meet.

Back