I got my Old Hickory!

I have one of my Grandfather's Old Hickory.

I still use it in the kitchen.

Last edited:
There are a handful more from my grandfather. I need to round them up. They are at a vacation location. Growing up, my dad says they used to butcher their own cows with them.

I'll have to round up a pic.

Yea, that's what I mean about the old times. When I was a child, and into my teens - same thing. Except we killed/butchered more hogs than cows. And always with the trusty Old Hickory knives. And .22LR to start the show.

I'll ask. Why the waffle cut pattern in the Old Hickory blades? Is it to save on weight? Save on steel?

I'll ask. Why the waffle cut pattern in the Old Hickory blades? Is it to save on weight? Save on steel?

It sure gives it a cool look! I think I read somwehere it was to keep the blade from binding up in whatever it was cutting, but I could be way off.

I have one of my Grandfather's Old Hickory.

I still use it in the kitchen.

My grand dad owned a general store from the 1940's to the 1970's. Before he had an electric meat cutter he used Old Hickory knives. I still have about three or four of them in my kitchen drawer. I need to get them out and sharpen them up.

I have a few that I've purchased over the years. 2 Skinners and 2 Cabbage knives. They were bought as project knives but I haven't decided how I'm going to use them.

Glad to hear that Ontario is planning on keeping the Old Hickory line around. Using an Old Hickory is like using a living piece of history.

I read this thread shortly after it was first posted, and not having any experience or real knowledge of the Old Hickory line, I just read the responses and moved on. Fast forward to June, I just bought a house (haven't yet moved there though) in a place that still has the small town feel and vibe. Well in this town there happens to be an old fashioned "General Store" still in business in the town. I couldn't resist not walking in and perusing the store. They have all the knives you might think would be in a store of that nature; KA-BAR, Buck, Case and yes, Old Hickory!! I will be picking up a few in the very near future once I get moved in.

Back