I had quadruple bypass surgery 5\24\17. Any one here with experience? This mine.

Thanks Annr. It went well,really well:) I think I made a good decision and that sitting around the house day after day all up in my head wasn't good for me. It was very nice to think about my work and not about evry little ache, pain and hiccup like I have been.
I am going to see my Cardiologist Thursday and discuss why I still have chest pains at times and ask to change my blood pressure meds as I have a low number of 90 and over a lot. And when that happens I seem to have more Angina and headaches.

Yeah, sitting home sucks. Getting back to work is great.

I went ahead and read the Esselstyn book on cardiac care/diet that I referenced in a previous post, and it was quite impressive that he was able to treat people with his diet such that their cholesterol fell below 150 (?) (sounded like only a few still needed statins at low doses). Apparently, he could not find any evidence of heart disease or heart attacks happening in individuals with cholesterol below 150--so he chose this number.

Also, all of their angina went away, and they did not have any more procedures, even though many of them had had several cardiac procedures that ultimately were not curative. (I'm not looking at the book, so you may need to double check me, but this is the big picture: he did follow these patients for a long time (over a decade), and with careful attention to detail of their diet, he was able to help them more than the standard care which had pretty much given up on these patients.)

I liked the diet so much, I'm doing it myself even though I have very good numbers.

Yeah, sitting home sucks. Getting back to work is great.

I went ahead and read the Esselstyn book on cardiac care/diet that I referenced in a previous post, and it was quite impressive that he was able to treat people with his diet such that their cholesterol fell below 150 (?) (sounded like only a few still needed statins at low doses). Apparently, he could not find any evidence of heart disease or heart attacks happening in individuals with cholesterol below 150--so he chose this number.

Also, all of their angina went away, and they did not have any more procedures, even though many of them had had several cardiac procedures that ultimately were not curative. (I'm not looking at the book, so you may need to double check me, but this is the big picture: he did follow these patients for a long time (over a decade), and with careful attention to detail of their diet, he was able to help them more than the standard care which had pretty much given up on these patients.)

I liked the diet so much, I'm doing it myself even though I have very good numbers.

No heart disease with cholesterol below 150? I guess that he didn't look very hard. My total cholesterol was rarely above 135 when I started having angina. However, my triglycerides were about 300. There is also the genetic factor. My last blood test showed total cholesterol to be 109 and I still have problems

Lately, researchers have discounted cholesterol as a major cause of heart disease.

I am not discounting the diet. Anything you can do to improve your health is a plus. I have heard that every hotdog or slice of bacon takes a day off your life. By my calculations, I died in 1830.

Lmao..I imagine I have baconed myself to death to.
Annr I did research the diet but I dont think I could follow it. I likes meat toooo much.

Lmao..I imagine I have baconed myself to death to.
Annr I did research the diet but I dont think I could follow it. I likes meat toooo much.

That's a problem…and for me it's easy: I never liked meat or ate it much by choice ever. (Last time triglycerides were 40–50ish without fasting)

But I would eat rocks if it meant not going to the doctor! And I know everyone is different. Good luck!

No heart disease with cholesterol below 150? I guess that he didn't look very hard. My total cholesterol was rarely above 135 when I started having angina. However, my triglycerides were about 300. There is also the genetic factor. My last blood test showed total cholesterol to be 109 and I still have problems

Lately, researchers have discounted cholesterol as a major cause of heart disease.

I am not discounting the diet. Anything you can do to improve your health is a plus. I have heard that every hotdog or slice of bacon takes a day off your life. By my calculations, I died in 1830.
I think the more precise language was that in certain studies coronary artery disease was rare when cholesterol was between 90 and 150. So not impossible. And I know guidelines and theories have changed and evolved, so I guess one would have to evaluate the book/diet for himself.

And I agree: any steps to improve one's health and quality of life are a plus! I'm especially partial to those things that do not involve the doctor or medical establishment!

I continue to have angina accompanied with headaches just as I had before my surgery.
I am trying to decide if I should push for another heart cath. To see if the bypasses are viable and working.
After telling my cardiologist he changed some meds and asked if anything was done to my valves during surgery . There was not. I do have a murmer maybe that is why he asked. But I dont know for sure.

Any advice is appreciated.

I talked to the nurse at my Cardiologist office and I will see the Doctor tomorrow. She said maybe I should check in to the hospital but I am hoping my doc can do any tests on an outpatient basis rather than having to deal with all that being an inpatient entails.

Cardiologist ordered heart catheterization which works for me. Hopefully will provide some answers. Best case I guess would be some stents if needed.

Cardiologist ordered heart catheterization which works for me. Hopefully will provide some answers. Best case I guess would be some stents if needed.
Will you have to wait long?

I know a lot of people that have stents and generally all goes well.

I had my heart cath. Today and 2 of the 4 bypasses have failed. Which is why I am having chest pains. The Cardiologist wants to wait about 3 months for the bypasses to further heal and then place Stents.
I am relieved to know now what the cause and treatment is.

Man, you're being put through the mill but hang in there. I guess things can always be worse but it sometimes makes you wonder.

You're halfway there, bud. Seriously though, stay positive, at least you know what is wrong.

Thanks guys. I am actually relieved to know the cause and that there is a cure that does not involve surgery.

Update.. Tomorrow I go for another Angiogram and hopefully they will be able to open and stent the 2 blocked arteries. If that happens I hopefully will feel good physically and mentally like I did before the arteries blocked.
It is amazing how well you feel mentally when getting good blood flow to the brain!

Back