I HATE KARAMBITS BUT.... CRKT PROVOKE CASWELL DESIGN NEW VIDEO PG 10

It's "different " , innovative and very interesting . Only time will tell if it's actually functionally better .

I can wait to see the proof of real life performance that demonstrates some substantial improvement over existing karambits .

It's "different " , innovative and very interesting . Only time will tell if it's actually functionally better .

I can wait to see the proof of real life performance that demonstrates some substantial improvement over existing karambits .

I don’t think it will outperform a fixed blade Karambit as in cutting etc but I do think it will be safer for the user than a folding variant especially variants that utilize liner locks and frame locks

I don’t think it will outperform a fixed blade Karambit as in cutting etc but I do think it will be safer for the user than a folding variant especially variants that utilize liner locks and frame locks
:) OK ! But please make us a video if you decide to use one to pith a monster swamp croc . ;)

Agreed.

From what I've seen in the videos, pocket carry and safe deployment are its main advantages. Bulk, weight and complexity would be to its disadvantage.

For effectiveness, nothing can beat the fixed blade but it would be illegal to carry concealed in many states, including mine.

The simplicity of a waved karambit folder also has an advantage over the 5 piece Caswell design, especially if any of the fittings bind or come loose. However, pulling my waved Karahawk or P'kal can be a scary enterprise.

But for the cool Chinese puzzle factor and the easy and safe thumb method deployment, the Caswell definitely takes the prize. :)

Last edited:

I think as far as a folding karambit goes, it wins in the safety and reliability departments. Your fingers are never in the path of the blade, and even if the lock were to fail, the knife wouldn't close on your hand. In terms of reliability, you don't have to shift your grip on the knife to open it, and if for some reason it were to not open completely, a little extra push will cause it to do so instantly.

I think as far as a folding karambit goes, it wins in the safety and reliability departments. Your fingers are never in the path of the blade, and even if the lock were to fail, the knife wouldn't close on your hand. In terms of reliability, you don't have to shift your grip on the knife to open it, and if for some reason it were to not open completely, a little extra push will cause it to do so instantly.

I’m with ya

Ya wanna sell one of those Kickstarter variants when they come in ? :)

Cool design, if the price drops a lot I'd be tempted. It seems overpriced and not just in relation to most of their lineup, although that comparison doesn't help.

Cool design, if the price drops a lot I'd be tempted. It seems overpriced and not just in relation to most of their lineup, although that comparison doesn't help.

You can order 1 right now for $157 which I don't think is overpriced when you consider the engineering that went into it and the cost of comparable folding karambits like the Karahawk and others. Even the fixed blade Pika costs about $135 but you do also get a kydex sheath w/it. ;)

And, FWIW, it seems that CRKT is definitely moving into the higher end market w/a variety of its 2019 releases including the Caswell Morphing Karambit ($200 MSRP), Ikoma Seismic ($150 MSRP), Park Jumbones (a larger Crossbones for $150 MSRP) and Onion Slacker ($100 MSRP). Street prices will obviously be lower but not in the price range that at least I commonly associate w/CRKT knives which is mainly in the $40-60 range as opposed to $20-40 for Kershaws.

Of course, it remains to be seen how well the quality of these knives matches the pricing in comparison w/other knife brands. Time will tell.

Last edited:
You can order 1 right now for $157 which I don't think is overpriced when you consider the engineering that went into it and the cost of comparable folding karambits like the Karahawk and others. Even the fixed blade Pika costs about $135 but you do also get a kydex sheath w/it. ;)

I think a lot of the chatter has really boiled down to "It's overpriced (... for a CRKT)." CRKT has not really proven they're capable of producing $200 knives to the standards of the popular companies that have been producing knives at that price point for a while. CRKT has always been more of a $25-$75 price point company.

If the performance of the CRKT version is like the original, then I think the price is quite reasonable. I joined the Kickstarter and thought that a paradigm shift in Karambits was worth the steep entry fee. I believe that now, it has jumped another $200. Following Joe’s updates, you can see how above and beyond he has gone with QC. I can’t imagine that Joe would allow the CRKT to be an inferior performer.

As for purpose, the Morph was designed for more than self defense.

I've had mine since Friday.

CRKT did a good job with this one. Not sure what OEM in Taiwan they are using, but fit and finish is excellent.

FWIW, knife was covered in oil when I got it, so my apologies for the oil all over in the pics.

Really fun knife. Got it because I missed out on the Kickstarter.

Interesting to note, is how thick the spine of the blade is. Much thicker than my Fox 599TiC karambit or my WE Knives Incisor Karambit.

Knife is heavier than a normal karambit and bulkier in pocket than a normal Karambit.....but feels a lot more "solid" than my framelock karambits.

250nfja.jpg

2ewi2jo.jpg

vsotbr.jpg

I think a lot of the chatter has really boiled down to "It's overpriced (... for a CRKT)." CRKT has not really proven they're capable of producing $200 knives to the standards of the popular companies that have been producing knives at that price point for a while. CRKT has always been more of a $25-$75 price point company.

Exactly. If positive reviews roll in then we'll see. I don't want to be the guinea pig.

CRKT did a good job with this one. Not sure what OEM in Taiwan they are using, but fit and finish is excellent.

FWIW, knife was covered in oil when I got it, so my apologies for the oil all over in the pics.

Interesting to note, is how thick the spine of the blade is. Much thicker than my Fox 599TiC karambit or my WE Knives Incisor Karambit.

Knife is heavier than a normal karambit and bulkier in pocket than a normal Karambit.....but feels a lot more "solid" than my framelock karambits.

250nfja.jpg

2ewi2jo.jpg

vsotbr.jpg

How is the edge in terms of thickness and ability to cut? Does it feel awkward in your pocket, like a brick? What does that horseshoe shaped spring in the finger ring do? Does it make the lock work?

Can we get a picture showing the thickness of the knife when it is all closed up?

Sorry for all the questions.

250nfja.jpg

2ewi2jo.jpg

vsotbr.jpg
Awesome, thanks for the pics! I wonder if they could make it any thinner to Dave on weight while not compromising strength too much.

How is the edge in terms of thickness and ability to cut? Does it feel awkward in your pocket, like a brick? What does that horseshoe shaped spring in the finger ring do? Does it make the lock work?

Can we get a picture showing the thickness of the knife when it is all closed up?

Sorry for all the questions.

It'll cut, but I feel as if this knife is very directed in terms of its purpose. I don't see anyone slicing tomatoes with it haha. It's also a chisel grind blade.

It doesn't feel awkward in pocket and I absolutely love the zero profile pocket clip. Carries deep. You also aren't gonna like having anything else in your pocket with the Provoke.

The slip ring is for adding pressure to the locking lever. The knife locks up like a vault.

As for pics, I'll snap some later tonight after I get home, but it's about 0.5 to 0.6 in thick.

Back