I have also lost my HEST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I had my fixed HEST molle locked onto my backback and went for a three mile hike in the woods. The HEST apparently decided to not come home with me. :grumpy: I got home and the sheath was empty-WTF. This thing is just about a month old- Im soo pissed!!! I retraced my steps as best as I could using my GPS but finding a tan micarta handled knife in the leaves over three miles wasnt happening....

I was bushwacking for some of the hike but still dont know how this thing came out of the sheath. Lesson learned- wrap the lanyard around the webbing just to ensure it dosent come out. Im not blaming the sheath or its construction-I really have no idea how this happened. It seemed secure in the sheath...

Well now to start shopping around for another one, if there are any left... This sucks!!!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your HEST.

An orange paracord lanyard will sure help when it comes to spotting a dropped knife in the bush.

I'm pretty sure there are still a few dealers with the HEST in stock.

Soory you had that particular learning experience, it does suck. At this oint I really don't remember what I lost...doubt it was a knife, but I'm just anal about the location of my favorite tools...but I had that learning experience long ago. The lesson I took away from it was that small, but important, things that won't make a lot of noise if they fall either go on my pack strap where I can see them, or are secured inside my pack. If left on the outside it is tied down tight. My knife almost always stays in sight and in reach though.

A hard-drive magnet taped to a hockey-stick has helped me find a lost knife in the woods before. Sounds stupid, but when it went "clank" I was giddy.

I was taught long ago not to have a lanyard on a knife for this reason. It seems to always catch on something, either in the brush or in some other environment where it catches on door handles, other equipment, etc at the most inopportune times.

I don't personally have lanyards on my knives but for you guys that love lanyards, there is a foolproof solution:

1. Put a piece of 550 cord through the hole at the end of the knife
2. Slide a cord lock over both ends of the paracord and down to the pommel of the knife. (So you have two ends of paracord hanging)
3. Tie a knot in each end of the paracord, but DON'T tie the ends together. So, you have no loop at this point.
4. The knots keep the cord lock from sliding off the ends of the paracord.

Result: Now, when you want a loop, you simply slide the cord lock down to the two knots. You now have a loop. When you want to stow the knife and not have a loop to catch on anything, you slide the cord lock back down to the pommel end of the knife and you have two dangling paracords that don't form a loop to catch on stuff.

Hopefully you guys understand that--no pictures available at work here.

find a handful or young teen or pre teen boys in your neighborhood and offer a dozen happymeals (for the young ones) or big macs, fries and a beverage (for the older ones) to whoever finds the knife and returns it to you! :D

I was taught long ago not to have a lanyard on a knife for this reason. It seems to always catch on something, either in the brush or in some other environment where it catches on door handles, other equipment, etc at the most inopportune times.

I don't personally have lanyards on my knives but for you guys that love lanyards, there is a foolproof solution:

2. Slide a cord lock over both ends of the paracord and down to the pommel of the knife. (So you have two ends of paracord hanging)
3. Tie a knot in each end of the paracord, but DON'T tie the ends together. So, you have no loop at this point.

Result: Now, when you want a loop, you simply slide the cord lock down to the two knots. You now have a loop. When you want to stow the knife and not have a loop to catch on anything, you slide the cord lock back down to the pommel end of the knife and you have two dangling paracords that don't form a loop to catch on stuff.

great idea mine is a loop of orange with reflective trace. i carry it in my pocket so i dont have much chance of it coming out without being noticed.

but will remember this next time i go out if i put it on my pack.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm just glad I didnt put a 100 dollar bill into the handle as I had thought about. Gonna give it a few days more to see if I can find it. If not, I will do my part to help an stimulate the US economy with another HEST fixed purchase...

Like these lanyards on a few of my knives...

Orange%20G10%20003.jpg

Like these lanyards on a few of my knives...

Orange%20G10%20003.jpg

nothing like a little ORANGE to brighten your day!

not like i'm complaining. i've got an orange Ritter PSK with an orange sheath,, an orange Spyderco Manix 2 and a pair of orange Izulas.

but somehow i just misplaced my orange Superknife IN THE HOUSE... don't ask me how the hell i did that. guess i need to clean my desk and see if i find the orange SOB. when Fry's was closing them out and had 'em on sale, i bought about 6, at $3 each. the rest are still in a bag... somewhere. :rolleyes:

I really like this idea for lanyards Exp, I think will be the rout I take on my lanyards that can't secured by a retention strap from now on. Normally if I can not secure the lanyard then I just don't have one.

As for the lost H.E.S.T. just out of curiosity was the binding post in the upper most hole or in the second hole down? One thing I noticed on mine was that moving the post up to the top hole really increased retention.

...As for the lost H.E.S.T. just out of curiosity was the binding post in the upper most hole or in the second hole down? One thing I noticed on mine was that moving the post up to the top hole really increased retention.

+1 to that.

Made a HUGE difference with my HEST's as well.

Yup it was in the second hole down on both sides. If I recall correctly that is how I recieved it. I never changed it as I only had it for about a month and didnt think it would have worn in enough to become loose. Not saying it was the sheaths fault....just my shit luck I guess. :grumpy:

I think I am in the minority for liking a lot of retention in my sheaths, but I tend to carry knives tip-up on my pack sometimes. One of my friends makes sheaths and if he makes one that has too much retention for a customer I'll get asked if I have the knife it's made for :)

The pick on the handle of the hest is probably to blame.... perfect for gouging yourself and getting caught on clothing etc...

As for the lost H.E.S.T. just out of curiosity was the binding post in the upper most hole or in the second hole down? One thing I noticed on mine was that moving the post up to the top hole really increased retention.

+2. I just left 'em both in, so that the #1 and #2 spots are filled on both sides. Seems to give the sheath a nice solid lock-up. Still, since the knife is on the outside of my pack, I think I'm going to work on one more level of retention, perhaps using one or both of the rear holes and some paracord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back