I have ordered the Republican Gladius upon whose design I have been working.

I have placed an order with Erik Stevenson for a copy of the Republican Era Gladius that I have become involved in designing based upon archaeological finds. Erik Stevenson, of Phoenix Metal Works, is to contract the making of the blade to Angus Trim and his CAD-CAM equipment, and he is to do the heat treat and tempering and then mount the hilt and fit a scabbard. He hopes to have this done by Saturnalia, As things get close to final production, perhaps we will feel more able to post more pics of teh design stages. Should you wish to reach Erik to discuss this exciting project with him, his email is pnoenixmetalworks@aol,com. In these gladii, I am using examples from mid-1st Century BCE, during the last gasps of teh Republic as it moved toward the Principate as started by Octavian, later Augustus. One of the interested participants in the discussions is Michael Bishop, co author of Roman militraary Equipment and editor of The Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies. He has been MOST helpful.

Hey Hugh!
It's pretty exciting to be involved in something like this isn't it?

I've been wondering how the project was coming along. It's moving along at a pretty good clip apparently! With a target date of just less than two months to completion, it's going to be here before we know it!

If you have any pics you want to post during the creation process, email them along to me and I'll put them up for you. It would be VERY cool to see a sword go from start to finish in realtime. (hint, hint!)
LOL

If he does, I will send them along to you.

The really great news is that the blade is being done by Angus Trim! He and Erik have worked out an agreement whereby Gus does the blades pretty much to Erik's specifications and Erik is the cutler. The fact that someone of Gus' reputation is involved makes me feel happier about the price, some $450, scabbard included. And I understand that he and Erik are making adjustments to my pictures to make the thing balance properly and to have good harmonics. These are the things that had worried me.

Back