I just ordered a bunch of S7 steel!

Daniel Fairly Knives

Full Time Knifemaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I just got off the phone with a steel supplier and ordered a heap of S7 shock resistant tool steel. It is probably the toughest knife steel there is, it is used for jackhammer bits. :eek:

They are precision flat grinding the bars for me so I will start with dead flat stock. No more dealing with imperfect steel. Beaucoop dolares too, it costs about 10 times as much as the 5160 I'm used to but is well worth it.

This chart shows the S7 at a hardness of only 58, the wear resistance goes up a fair bit if it is a point or two harder. The toughness is off the charts (well almost :D ) and the wear resistance is almost as good as O1, a great steel which I also bought a bunch of.

http://www.simplytoolsteel.com/S-7-tool-steel-data-sheet.html

http://www.simplytoolsteel.com/cold-work-tool-steel-comparison-chart.html

http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/prodbyapp/tooldie/crus7t.html

Hmm...sounds like you are going to be making more whackers! I was reading up on M-2 for my next "real" knife project. Seems like it is up there with the S series steels. Let me know how you like the S-7 when it arrives.

-xander

nice.. and you got a bunch o A2 as well, si? :D but seriously, bring on the stainless :D I see a stainless minipoon... and a few other smaller blades.. and a cleaver.. lol bring it!

Hmm...sounds like you are going to be making more whackers! I was reading up on M-2 for my next "real" knife project. Seems like it is up there with the S series steels. Let me know how you like the S-7 when it arrives.

-xander

You got it dude! I'll let you know.

nice.. and you got a bunch o A2 as well, si? :D but seriously, bring on the stainless :D I see a stainless minipoon... and a few other smaller blades.. and a cleaver.. lol bring it!

154cm or maybe ATS-34 will be part of my next order! :D

I don't think I'll get any A2 yet, the S7 pretty much beats it hands down in my opinion for what I make. It is great steel though, superior to most so I want to pick some up.

holy craptastic.. DANIEL JOO NEED TO GET CPM 1V :D Not sure why but why not :D

Would think 1V a really good choice vs S7, no?

It looks great on paper but I don't think it is as good of a knife steel as the S7. The chart is showing the steels at 56 RC which I think is too soft for most knives. I think it has great properties at lower hardnesses but won't compete once up to a higher Rockwell. (not 100% sure yet) I saw the specs and wondered why it wasn't commonly used and after some research this is what I gather. It also won't polish as well as the S7 and I love a polished edge. Thanks for bringing it up, I'm always looking for the very best steel for my current application and will research it further.

The S7 should be here in a week! They are probably machining it right now!!! :D

holy craptastic.. DANIEL JOO NEED TO GET CPM 1V :D Not sure why but why not :D

You know me dude, I will probably have some soon! Aldo has some M4 in also... so much good steel! I still need to buy some stainless also. :D

The S7 will be coming in 1/8", how 'bout a wakizashi/machete combo!

1/4" and a little taller for my choppers

5/16" (.315) in 3" tall for massive choppers, and 5/16" in a sword size or for whatever. :D

S-7 is a tough steel. About 11 years ago I used it to make 2 center punches. The are still holding up with no
real signs wear. Looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

S-7 is a tough steel. About 11 years ago I used it to make 2 center punches. The are still holding up with no
real signs wear. Looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

It is going to be so freaking tough it isn't even funny... jackhammer bit steel!

Look what just came in! :D

003qpy.jpg

004vuv.jpg

Looks like Christmas!! Funny the way a load of steel will make you feel, heart beats faster, palms a little sweaty, mouth a little dry,
your mind starts racing........wait what was I talking about?

Looks like Christmas!! Funny the way a load of steel will make you feel, heart beats faster, palms a little sweaty, mouth a little dry,
your mind starts racing........wait what was I talking about?

damn, I dunno.. but now I need to go take care of something O_O

damn, I dunno.. but now I need to go take care of something O_O

Hehehe...

It is a bunch of steel! It's gonna be fun working with it, I have some cool stuff in store. Wakichete anyone?

Im tuned in mang:eek::thumbup:

I'll start grinding this pile up soon, I can't wait. I'm probably going to grind all or half of it then send it off for heat treat.

I may heat treat the knives that fit in my kiln myself but I plan on some huge stuff way beyond my kiln's length for this steel! I have heat treated every knife I have made so if I can save up for a bigger kiln in time I'll do it myself.

I have to get a plate setup for the smaller ones if I HT them since S7 is an air hardening steel, I'm currently set up with 11 second and 28 second quench oil so a plate setup will allow me to handle almost everything. :D

Last edited:
Back