I just "won" a Crimshaw!

Discussion in 'Schrade Knives Collectors Forum' started by Codger_64, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Codger_64

Codger_64 Moderator Moderator

Oct 8, 2004
    I love it when the "artsey" logo for Schrade Scrimshaw sets sellers on their heads. It befuddles them with their knifes and sheafs and shrades. I am in no way tempted to correct them.

So, I was working away on the Scrimshaw series and found this SFO for K-Mart. Oddity in it's blade stamping and also one of the very earliest LB-1 pattern knives made. The Schrade+ U.S.A. LB-1SC.

[​IMG]

And note the original price sticker. I gave more for it than that. $1.53 more! :eek:

Beginning in 1984, this pattern would be called the 511SC. But this 1983 knife made for K-Mart had it's own odd number. Like the 705SC LB-7 Scrimshaw and 205SC Sharpfinger Scrimshaw, both also for K-Mart.

Michael

PS- The art is a running rabbit done by Frank Giorgianni.

2. ea42

ea42 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2006
    Very nice snag! I always wondered why sellers spelled it that way, now I know.

Eric

3. SIRGALANT

SIRGALANT Banned BANNED

Mar 16, 2005
    that trumps mine , you`re a real bastard codger :)

4. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    Trumps? Nah. Each is special in it's own way, and each is special to it's new owner. I'm exploring the variations of production details in the LB-1 right now. Although I've only just begun, several interesting items have come to my attention.

Nope, your LB-1 is a nugget in it's own right. So far I only have one of those. Not a large enough sampling to really survey the detail changes.

Michael

5. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    That is a fine little pickup there Codger. I used to own one of those as a user for a short time in the late 80's.. It was stolen--along with my bass boat and about $1000. worth of fishing gear. It is funny how seeing that knife again brings back a flood of memories.

6. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

The paper insert confirmed my suspicions. All three patterns...the LB-1SC - Rabbit, the 705SC - Grizzly Bear, and the 205SC - Bear and Fish all were companion SFO's for K-Mart in 1983. The reverse side of the insert is like the production inserts of the period with the Schrade Cutlery Corporation "shop sign" logo circa 1977-1984. After 1984 the logo changed to reflect Baer's ownership and combining of Schrade Cutlery with Imperial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a good benchmark for roughly dating packaging and inserts.

Michael

7. indygeezer

indygeezer

Sep 3, 2007
    Cleaning house ready to move the "folks" closer. Found a Schrade Scrimshaw with Giorgianni name (appears to read as F George Lianni if I were younger I could tell better). Two buffalo on the handle with his sig underneath and "78" along side the sig. Appears to be a 4-5" lockback with a black leather "holster" with a snapdown flap.

Do I let them sell this a garage sale or ???????????

8. Codger_64

Oct 8, 2004
    If it is complete and unused, or even very lightly used, a collector will likely give more for it than someone at a yard sale. Can you show us the design on it? A scan will work. Failing that, many of them can be identified by the artwork design and the tang stamping on the blade.

Michael

PS- We are not allowed to directly buy and sell in this forum. But we would be glad to give a try at identifying it for you and possibly telling you the fair market value.