I just "won" a Crimshaw!

Codger_64

I love it when the "artsey" logo for Schrade Scrimshaw sets sellers on their heads. It befuddles them with their knifes and sheafs and shrades. I am in no way tempted to correct them.

So, I was working away on the Scrimshaw series and found this SFO for K-Mart. Oddity in it's blade stamping and also one of the very earliest LB-1 pattern knives made. The Schrade+ U.S.A. LB-1SC.

And note the original price sticker. I gave more for it than that. $1.53 more! :eek:

Beginning in 1984, this pattern would be called the 511SC. But this 1983 knife made for K-Mart had it's own odd number. Like the 705SC LB-7 Scrimshaw and 205SC Sharpfinger Scrimshaw, both also for K-Mart.

Michael

PS- The art is a running rabbit done by Frank Giorgianni.

Very nice snag! I always wondered why sellers spelled it that way, now I know.

Eric

that trumps mine , you`re a real bastard codger :)

Trumps? Nah. Each is special in it's own way, and each is special to it's new owner. I'm exploring the variations of production details in the LB-1 right now. Although I've only just begun, several interesting items have come to my attention.

Nope, your LB-1 is a nugget in it's own right. So far I only have one of those. Not a large enough sampling to really survey the detail changes.

Michael

That is a fine little pickup there Codger. I used to own one of those as a user for a short time in the late 80's.. It was stolen--along with my bass boat and about $1000. worth of fishing gear. It is funny how seeing that knife again brings back a flood of memories.

The paper insert confirmed my suspicions. All three patterns...the LB-1SC - Rabbit, the 705SC - Grizzly Bear, and the 205SC - Bear and Fish all were companion SFO's for K-Mart in 1983. The reverse side of the insert is like the production inserts of the period with the Schrade Cutlery Corporation "shop sign" logo circa 1977-1984. After 1984 the logo changed to reflect Baer's ownership and combining of Schrade Cutlery with Imperial.

This is a good benchmark for roughly dating packaging and inserts.

Michael

Cleaning house ready to move the "folks" closer. Found a Schrade Scrimshaw with Giorgianni name (appears to read as F George Lianni if I were younger I could tell better). Two buffalo on the handle with his sig underneath and "78" along side the sig. Appears to be a 4-5" lockback with a black leather "holster" with a snapdown flap.

Do I let them sell this a garage sale or ???????????

If it is complete and unused, or even very lightly used, a collector will likely give more for it than someone at a yard sale. Can you show us the design on it? A scan will work. Failing that, many of them can be identified by the artwork design and the tang stamping on the blade.

Michael

PS- We are not allowed to directly buy and sell in this forum. But we would be glad to give a try at identifying it for you and possibly telling you the fair market value.

Back