I know this is crazy

Westflorida

BANNED
I asked this same question over on another site and rcvd some mixed answers. I just purchased a carbon fiber military and have heard a number of bad things about carbon fiber when being worked (dust in the lungs, etc). My question is, is there anyway that carbon fiber may be dangerous even when it is stable and not being worked? If this question is way out there someone may want to refer me to a good psychiatrist.

I think the most common answer will be that it's ok (safe) when not being worked on. As in G-10, the dust is the problem.

The only real issues I've ever read about on the finished product of Carbon Fiber as a knife handle scale is that it scratches easy. The material is very tough and strong in some ways but from the standpoint of holding threads and being scratch resistant it isn't as good IMO as other materials that are currently used.

I've successfully threaded G10, and Micarta as well as FRN/Zytel with great success. Carbon Fiber has stripped though on more than one knife and I've had a few knives with CF scales in my shop from forum members that requested I work on them to make the threads bite again when they stripped out. The main attraction to CF seems to be that it is so stunning to behold and gives a great deal of eye appeal and class to an otherwise plain ole knife.

STR

It chips when its been weathered a bit. its not really a hard impact product. I think its more of a selling gimick than actual benifit to the knife. its around a 70 dollar upgrade from the normal military and that is a big rip off. I bought one becuase i wanted a military and i thought it was cooler looking than g-10. and its not going to harm your lungs if you suck on it all day :p

Back