I love Florida knife laws

In the state of Florida, it is legal to own and carry balisongs, belt knives, cane and other disguised knives, bowies and large knives, throwing stars and knives and undetectable knives. You can open carry just about any knife. Box cutters, multi-tools and other work knives are legal to carry concealed as well.

The state has preempted all local knife laws. Balisongs, Bowie knives, pocket knives,switchblades, and stilettos are legal. It's legal for anyone over 21 to carry knives. It's illegal to not inform a police officer that you are carrying a concealed knife when the knife is not a pocket knife.Nov 22, 2016

Last edited:
I agree FL is awesome. Minus ballistic knives everything else is open game..........that's why I carry my balisong with no fears

In the state of Florida, it is legal to own and carry balisongs, belt knives, cane and other disguised knives, bowies and large knives, throwing stars and knives and undetectable knives. You can open carry just about any knife. Box cutters, multi-tools and other work knives are legal to carry concealed as well.

The state has preempted all local knife laws. Balisongs, Bowie knives, pocket knives,switchblades, and stilettos are legal. It's legal for anyone over 21 to carry knives. It's illegal to not inform a police officer that you are carrying a concealed knife when the knife is not a pocket knife.Nov 22, 2016

I'm not going to bother looking all of this up but I'd suggest you review FL knife laws. To begin with there is no preemption of knife law in FL. Carrying anything other than a "common pocket knife" with a blade less than 4" can be an issue.
Knife law is a murky as a swamp in FL.

As a start check out this page http://www.knifeup.com/florida-knife-laws-explained/

the state needs to fix its knife laws like it did with the firearms laws. where state laws overrides all city and county nonsense attempts to make honest citizens criminals with statutes that are confusing and hidden, etc.

the state needs to fix its knife laws like it did with the firearms laws. where state laws overrides all city and county nonsense attempts to make honest citizens criminals with statutes that are confusing and hidden, etc.

I agree, Florida has a horrible patchwork of knife laws, there is probably a slime change that you will get caught up in them if you are careful but it's a chance that does exist. Personally I like SC knife law, if memory serves you can carry pretty much any knife open or concealed, if you commit a crime with a knife, then the knife becomes an element of the crime. At least that is my understanding, somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
As for FL if you look at Title XLVI, Chapter 790, Section 790.33 you will see that it specifies "firearms", so even though the FL CCW is for "Weapons" the only thing that is preempted is "firearms".

I agree, Florida has a horrible patchwork of knife laws, there is probably a slime change that you will get caught up in them if you are careful but it's a chance that does exist. Personally I like SC knife law, if memory serves you can carry pretty much any knife open or concealed, if you commit a crime with a knife, then the knife becomes an element of the crime. At least that is my understanding, somebody please correct me if I am wrong.
As for FL if you look at Title XLVI, Chapter 790, Section 790.33 you will see that it specifies "firearms", so even though the FL CCW is for "Weapons" the only thing that is preempted is "firearms".
im not sure that is true. as if ya read more of the ccw laws it shows other weapons besides firearms. florida is one of the few that lumps weapons together and not just firearms with a ccw. i am no lawyer though.

im not sure that is true. as if ya read more of the ccw laws it shows other weapons besides firearms. florida is one of the few that lumps weapons together and not just firearms with a ccw. i am no lawyer though.

You are correct, and as I mentioned in my post the FL CCW is for all (most)weapons, however in the section of the law I posted dealing with preemption you will see that it only mentions firearms. If you want a longer discussion check out https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/knife-rights

If you wish to continue to believe that knives are covered by preemption, please do I wish you luck.

You are correct, and as I mentioned in my post the FL CCW is for all (most)weapons, however in the section of the law I posted dealing with preemption you will see that it only mentions firearms. If you want a longer discussion check out https://www.floridacarry.org/issues/knife-rights

If you wish to continue to believe that knives are covered by preemption, please do I wish you luck.
not arguing just discussing. meant other weapons besides knives. thanks for the follow up. appreciated.

i am a florida carry member. been one since it was founded. big believer and supporter in right to carry openly or concealed.

not arguing just discussing. meant other weapons besides knives. thanks for the follow up. appreciated.

i am a florida carry member. been one since it was founded. big believer and supporter in right to carry openly or concealed.

Sadly while the FL CCW is a weapons permit, when the dingbats in Tallahassee added premption to the law they saw fit to specify firearms rather that weapons as they should have. The way things are today I don't see this changing in the near future.
I'm also a member of Florida Carry even though I must admit after the last couple of years I'm not to happy with them, I will remain a member.

So... A CC license (FL) Does permit you to open carry a fixed knife?

A FL CCW does not permit you to carry any weapon openly. I believe anyone can open carry a fixed blade but this is not addressed by state law, you can open carry simply because it is not directly addressed, however some(many) cities/counties do directly override this so do so at your own risk.
As I've said earlier, FL knife law is a total mess. With a CCW you can conceal carry pretty much any knife but thee is no preemption.

I live in the Gulf Coast area of Alabama and travel to Florida often because it is only about 45 minutes away. I carry a 4" CS Voyager concealed in my back pocket as my EDC and I never had a problem in Florida. Remember that concealed means concealed!

Back