I Love Hammers.

Rick, I think Miley must love them too...?

miley-cyrus-wrecking-ball-video-still-3.jpg

She should really dress the face of that thing...

Thanks Rick, I just about shot my dinner out through my nose when I scrolled down to that pic...!!! :eek: :D

I am scarred for life.

...heading to a dark corner to weep hysterically, now.

Every time Rick posts in another thread and I see it, alls I can think of is him licking a hammer

Hey Rick, you should make a how to on making a hammer. Maybe give some specs on what your really looking for when making one. Type of steel and so forth. I came across a 2 inch piece of all thread that's supposedly 5160 and was used for sinking into pillars for big retaining walls to stop river bank erosion. I have about 7 inches of it.

Well I don't know a thing about the quality of this Greybar hammer. It doesn't seem to be a made in China. And the claw is a Grey Gorge just because I couldn't say no to a hammer that fancy. Its the first I have seen with a factory wooden cross wedge.
P1010021_zps4gie1weg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm thinking about grinding a diagonal peen hammer from a 3lb(or maybe 4lb) Harbor Freight hammer. This is the head I'm looking at using:

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hammers/3-lb-hardwood-engineers-hammer-69013.html

One of our own did this here: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/654380-Make-your-own-RH-LH-cross-pein-hammer

What I'm wondering is whether I should worry about heat treating it? It's going to be used for drawing out hot steel so I'm wondering if I should go to the trouble? If so, what would you recommend be done? Anneal prior? Harden/temper after? Or, just grind and use? I was thinking I might even be able to cut a couple chunks off and then grind it.

I talked with a local maker and he said he made one from a sledge hammer and the best thing to do was anneal then work it entirely soft then re heat treat. He said he just edge quenched his so it had some spring in the middle of the head. I'm no expert and have never made a hammer, but I would love to.

I make all my hammers from sledge heads. Mostly Garrant brand because I spoke with the rep and know they are 1050 mat'l.

Most modern store bought sledge heads are fairly soft. Soft enough to grind and cut on a bandsaw. I do not bother annealing. I do heat treat my heads after shaping. Soaked at 1525F for 20 minutes and quenched in brine. Then, I temper 2x at 450, followed by torching out the eye. First, clean the faces to bare metal, then use a torch to heat the eye/cheeks. Do it slowly and watch the faces for color. When they turn brown/purple, quench in oil and repeat the whole torch process once more. It takes a bit of time but you are making one of the most important tools in your blacksmithing arsenal.

I make all my hammers from sledge heads. Mostly Garrant brand because I spoke with the rep and know they are 1050 mat'l.

Most modern store bought sledge heads are fairly soft. Soft enough to grind and cut on a bandsaw. I do not bother annealing. I do heat treat my heads after shaping. Soaked at 1525F for 20 minutes and quenched in brine. Then, I temper 2x at 450, followed by torching out the eye. First, clean the faces to bare metal, then use a torch to heat the eye/cheeks. Do it slowly and watch the faces for color. When they turn brown/purple, quench in oil and repeat the whole torch process once more. It takes a bit of time but you are making one of the most important tools in your blacksmithing arsenal.

Thanks for the intel Rick. I don't have a heat treat oven yet so the heat treat option will probably be out for me at this point. I looked and I don't think those Garant hammers are as readily available here in the states either. I did snag up a couple sledges today from Harbor Freight for around $7ea and will probably grind one out tomorrow. Worst case scenario, I'm out $14 and a belt or two.

Rick Marchand, I'm thinking you probably know, but look up Bret Bailey forge. He makes the hammers guys like us drool over...

Rick what size sledges did you start with? I want a 2 3/4 lb hammer or so. I've tried to find a complete hammer mod start to finish thread but nothing.

Rick what size sledges did you start with? I want a 2 3/4 lb hammer or so. I've tried to find a complete hammer mod start to finish thread but nothing.

Depends on the final shape you want but typically, you'll lose at least a pound modding a hammer. I cut off almost 3/4 of the faces to start. My 3 1/2 lb started out at 5lbs and my 2 3/4 lb was made from a 4 lb head.

Back