I love my mini-Copperlock....almost.

One of my favorite patterns is Case's mini-Copperlock. Simple, one blade lockback design makes a great lightweight EDC. I've owned one for quite some time but really wish it had 1095 or D2 high carbon. The only thing that came close was Case's CV version but only available with yellow synthetic scales. :grumpy:
Is it too much to ask one of these traditional knife manufacturers to offer a 3 1/2", single 1095 blade lockback, with some nice jigged bone scales? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place but even if this elusive design exist there sure aren't many to choose from and that's a cryin' shame.

I myself like Case's SS, but I hear ya on the variety (or lack of) issue. I've had my eye on a mini-Copperlock with blue bone scales, but am taking care of other expenses at the moment.

IMO, it's such a cool design, there should definitely be more options (steel, handle materials) to suit the various tastes of buyers.
Jim

I have one in ebony.One of my favorite knives.I prefer carbon over stainless also. I find stainless looks nicer crocused to a satin finish.Take some scotchbrite to it for a different look.
P1010017.jpg

P1010018.jpg

Thanks. It usually looks more black. The flash made it more brown.Smokey Mountain had a thing going with Case a while back.They(Case) should make ebony a regular scale line.If anyone from Case reads this.....Well?
Steve

One of my favorite patterns is Case's mini-Copperlock. Simple, one blade lockback design makes a great lightweight EDC. I've owned one for quite some time but really wish it had 1095 or D2 high carbon. The only thing that came close was Case's CV version but only available with yellow synthetic scales. :grumpy:
Is it too much to ask one of these traditional knife manufacturers to offer a 3 1/2", single 1095 blade lockback, with some nice jigged bone scales? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place but even if this elusive design exist there sure aren't many to choose from and that's a cryin' shame.

I'm one of several you'll hear from on this issue. Many of us are CV steel lovers that want to more of a selection of patterns and handle materials. I've got most of the Case yellow handled CV and love them all. Nice purchase i'm glad you like it otherwise. I think it will serve you well for a long time to come.

When I was at the SHOT show last week I went over to Case the first chance I had excited to see if they had added more CV options. They mixed it up slightly but no real increase in the number of offerings.
I told the Case staff member I spoke with (real nice guy) that they need to add MORE CV offerings; my impression from his response is that this won't happen soon.
Bill

The offer CV in their catalog in Amber bone, a canoe three stockmans, a trapper, a small texas jack and a mid folding hunter.
Then they have a red CV line with 9 more patterns in bone.

Just ordered one in Brown Barnboard Bone. Been thinking about buying one of this pattern for two years, finally after reading this thread, took the plunge. Should make for a good edc for me, carry well in khakis or jeans. It can handle everything I need to cut in a day.

Durbin

I have also said the Mini Copperlock is the perfect knife.Looks as good open as closed,easy to open,and you can't feel it in your pocket.Sometimes I won't even open it all the way to use it.You can pinch it open between your thumb and index finger to open it one handed.Topped off with a perfect clip.

The fact that Case won't offer a decent line of CV patterns makes me believe that they cater to the collectors more than the users. I've given up on them extending their CV line but then who do I turn to? Haven't seen Queen, Northwoods, Canal St, S&M, or any other maker offer a similar pattern. Trappers and stockmans out the ying yang but no single blade lockbacks.

It would be quite a bit of effort, but you could send it to a customizer and get your choice of scale material. Or you could try changing the scales yourself.

I know it is not the same, but similar...
Have you looked at the Queen Copperhead with a linerlock?
Slim with a good single D2 blade and nice choice of scales.

There's also a Queen Cutlery Teardrop liner lock in D2. My Amber Bone one is nice but the BEM less so. More consistency issues with Queen than CASE in my view.

Glad to hear the Mini Copperlock getting its justly deserved praise, at last. It's an overlooked knife by many but it has very real qualities: slim, making it ideal for pocket carry,decent sized blade, reliable lock and a host of scale options. I understand that many yearn for cv but I like the Trusharp as I use this knife for food/snack prep and can never overcome my dislike for the smell&taste of carbon on food. The Red Bone pocket worn model I have is superb but it's bettered by the Amber Bone one lurking in my jacket pocket. Great knife to fiddle with, very soothing!

My ebony one is like a perfect worry stone. Ebony is very smooth to the touch and warm.A couple of the boys at work have Copperlocks.( I've given the knife bug to a few people.)Either I got lucky with a perfect one. but I've seen a few with the backsprings sticking out. Willgoy, I know what you mean about the stainless.
Another thing I like about them is the sound they make opening and closing. Very posotive.

No backspring problems on mine thankfully and I have to buy them on-line, but I know a dealer who seems to check stuff properly.

I would just like to know why a company with deep roots like Case knock themselves out to use traditional patterns and scales but avoid traditional steels like the plague. :confused:

Back