I made myself a head knife...

That looks real nice. I made one myself but I put too short of a handle on it. Did you attach your handle extension with silver solder or by welding?

Neither... I just tapped it into the handle slot. A very tight fit. I'm going to put a brass ferule on it as is done classically w/tools of this sort.

I think he was asking about the tang extension. It looks welded.

Oh thanks Bill; now I see... yea, I welded it w/hard surface rod. It' just a starter model and I hate wasting saw blade steel. Turned out fairly well though, use wise. This is sooooooooooooo much better that a carpet cutter retractable! Pushing instead of pulling is way cool.

did an integraal head knife for a trade that i was years behind makinng even was interesting and fun/ challanging build in O1

Cool deal! Nice job. I prefer a shorter handle. I want my index finger right behind the curve of the blade if not riding on it. Gives me better control. For long straight cuts I'll get back on the handle, everything else I'm choked up like in this pic.

LY3uZdV.jpg

Commercial knives always had the real long handle so you could cut it down and shape it to your preference. Welcome to the world of push cut! Little live action use.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjA922hh64Q/

Horsewright... where did you get the red cutting board? And where can I get one of the smaller, more delicate swivel knives that I see you Pros using? The one where the tip is at an angle sort of... like a scalpel?

Horsewright... where did you get the red cutting board? And where can I get one of the smaller, more delicate swivel knives that I see you Pros using? The one where the tip is at an angle sort of... like a scalpel?

You mean a swivel knife for leather carving like these? Horsewright can tell you where to get the good stuff, but you can get basic stuff from TandyLeather.

Easy-Comfort-Swivel-Knife-8002-01-1200_1200.jpg

Craftool-Pro-Swivel-Knife-Small-82009-01-1200_1200.jpg

Yes, the bottom one pictured... Where did that come from? I find most things from Tandy to be pretty basic, this looks like a better quality knife.

Agreed. Barry King swivel knives are what we use.

The red cutting board is called Hydroma. It's used in industrial die clicking operations. I forget who I got it from but I just googled it. Really is the only cutting surface that works for me. Those roller mats on the bench I get my roundknife stuck in. Same with the white polys. Hydroma has worked well for me for years now. I keep two on the bench, one for cutting and the other for punching.

Last edited:
That is a "Hydroma" cutting board....Tandy Leather sold them at one time. They are German made and can be ordered from a company in Tennessee(don't remember the company name). The Red ones are for cutting softer materials like leather.

Yes, the bottom one pictured... Where did that come from? I find most things from Tandy to be pretty basic, this looks like a better quality knife.

Both are Tandy's. Top is the cheap one shown with flat blade insert. Bottom is their pricier model. You can change out the blade type/shape in any of them. But I really like the look of that Barry King swivel. I need to remember that place. I just haven't purchased any new tools for some time. With limited funds, I've been making what I have make due. My swivel knives are from Tandy, close to 40 years old now.

Ya bet. Just for info most of our tooling stamps are from Barry King too. Its all the wife will use, she does most of our flower carving:

AvB0m8h.jpg

hUWvhdA.jpg

uOGs6BY.jpg

0vmG3YK.jpg

Ya bet. Just for info most of our tooling stamps are from Barry King too. Its all the wife will use, she does most of our flower carving:

AvB0m8h.jpg

hUWvhdA.jpg

uOGs6BY.jpg

0vmG3YK.jpg

Always enjoy seeing new pics of your work. Especially your wife's tooling/carving.

Good deal thanks. That's her in the blue shirt.

Back