I met with two masters tonight...

*Live* blades and *basic* cuts in the same lesson???

I have *got* to invest in Band-Aide stocks...

dontcha mean "Bando-aides " ?? :cool:

You know ,if you guys just go rent "Exposure" wioth Peter Coyote you can get all of this and more for 99 cents. (Its an old movie)

Movie description
An American photographer capturing the violent street life in Rio de Janeiro is attacked and his girlfriend raped when a drug lord thinks he has important information against him. The photographer studies the art of knife fighting, but as he trails his attackers he is unaware that the man who taught him to fight is the man he may have to kill.

Credits
Cast: Amanda Pays, Peter Coyote, Raul Cortez

Details
Sound: HiFi Sound, Stereo Sound,

Notes
Shot on location in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Bolivia, and Berkeley.

Christopher Kent was the knife fighting coach.

Copyright 1991 Alpha Films.

(I fell in love with Amanda Pays when MAX HEADROOM was on TV.)

The 9 angle system is a very common method in Filipino styles of kali – and Arnis there are a couple dozen systems that are based on it. Other common ones are 5 and 12 angles.
I use the 9 angles in the Khukuri arts I teach.

"the khukuri arts I teach"
ok, now. thats a horse of a different color.
Somehow we went from "Id like to make a khukuri based martial art" to "I teach khukuri arts"

Was that just a poor semantic leap, or something else?

You actually have a school and teach something you refer to as "khukuri arts?"

Im not judging, just requesting clarification.
Actually teaching khukuri arts might seem pretty important to most of the people in this forum and I think theyd all like to hear about that.

Once again, I reiterate that I support artistic endeavors and creativity no matter the form...

Yes I think you misunderstood that is why I was surprised at that thread of yours....I have been teaching it for about 20 years...I left kali after I closed my school and focused on the Khukuri..I still teach but by invitation though I have students that do some teaching

not really I use the name Azis...hence the screen name, its because the man that introduced me called his personal Khukuri The serpents fang and use to talk about the shape of the blade as a serpents fang.
Though most of the time I just call it Khukuri arts

Nasty said:
*Live* blades and *basic* cuts in the same lesson???

I have *got* to invest in Band-Aide stocks...

Hey...that's how I've been learning. Of course, there were no lessons and I've gone through a lot of Band-Aides, but you'll never catch me making the same mistake twice. :)

you'll never catch me making the same mistake twice.

:rolleyes:
Weren’t we suppose to hear a tada after that line?

Azis said:
not really I use the name Azis...hence the screen name, its because the man that introduced me called his personal Khukuri The serpents fang and use to talk about the shape of the blade as a serpents fang.
Though most of the time I just call it Khukuri arts
That's funny as the name my daughter calls my company is, "Sharp Azis."
That's because I have lottsa knives and they are Sharp Az is.;) :D

Morning :)

The system is based around the kukri shape and capability, rather than the Philipino methods of teaching, infact similar in principle to how the saber is taught and Japanese kenjutsu.
So as a consequence the basic ten cuts are based on the main target areas of the human body and are done in a way best suited to the kukri. The first four cuts for example, are Forehand chopping cut to the neck, backhand chopping cut to the neck, inverted thrust to the neck and skull cut. The corresponding blocks to those are the hanging block, outer block, inner block and rising block. These are always done with the kukri, then when partnered up they use shoto.

Justin and Gavin (RAF Regiment Close Quarter Combat Instructor)

2005-06-23_142647_new_kukri_018.jpg

2005-06-23_143410_new_kukri_011.jpg

2005-06-23_143349_new_kukri_006.jpg

As you can see we use the shoto for partnered drills (Howard Gavin is doing a rising cut to Justin) and the Kukri for form drills.

Cheers Simon :D

Crikey thats an old T shirt :D We changed the name to Combat Martial Arts Danny, its a better reflection of what we do.

Did a vid that might interest you a while back;

Kukri V Katana

On the second one the camera missed the counter thrust :(

Cheers Simon :)

I can certainly appreciate a name in English. Theres nothing wrong with English...

Ok now I can see it.
Sure wish I could hear it!

Is that a watermelon??
I have to admit Ive never tried cutting like that with a khukuri.
IF watermelons werent 9$ apiece for a grapefruit sized melon here in Japan, I might try it...
Crack has got to be cheaper than watermelons in japan.
ITs ridiculous.
Still, thanks for the videos.
Have you seen any of Satoris crazy vids?
Very fun...

It sure is Danny, its what the British cavalry practice their sabre cutting with, and some scientists discovered it had the same consistencey as flesh/muscle, so we use it occasionally for test cutting. Although as a general rule we tend to use turnips as they are less messy in the Dojo :)

Cheers Simon

Back