I might need a Frenzy. Talk me into/ out of it.

jstn

Gold Member
Okay, I definitely don't NEED a Frenzy. I generally like lighter knives. My largest folder is a Recon 1, and it only gets carried into the woods. But I love wharncliffes, and I kind of just want a ridiculously large folder. The Frenzy looks cool and fun, and it has multi-colored G10. Whats not to like?

So, any of you guys that have one care to share some experiences? Is is actually carry-able? With such a long handle and long blade, do you find it to be useful? Do I just want one, or do I actually NEED one?

Incredibly light and easy to carry. Feels good in the hand. I say go for it, you won't regret it!
That's what I wanted to hear. I was afraid it might be cumbersome to carry. Thanks for the input, you have convinced me to get one!

You won't regret the Frenzy. It's a bit skinny for my hand, I wear a large glove, but it's still comfortable enough to use and the ergos are nice. The best way I have found to carry it is in long pocket on the side of carpenter jeans and shorts. I've wandered all over town with it and nobody has even noticed.

Carries well for me a standard Levi 505 front pocket. It's the only XL I enjoy carrying.

That's what I wanted to hear. I was afraid it might be cumbersome to carry. Thanks for the input, you have convinced me to get one!

When ya get it post up some pics please. I'm curious how it looks in ur hand cause I have large hands too and am interested in this knife

Frenzy is probably the easiest XL Cold Steel to carry. It's thin, fairly narrow and the clip isn't deep carry. I don't think I have any pants that don't work with it. I'm surprised we haven't seen a smaller version. It seems like it would do well.

Reactions: AF
Got my Frenzy yesterday. Although I don't think it is too practical for anything besides disemboweling something, all my other knives are practical and utilitarian designs, so I am going to allow myself this one crazy folder. Obviously, it's purpose built, so I don't consider that a con.

I love the knife. The G10 looks great, and the action is phenomenal! I think it is smoother than my custom AD10, and the fit and finish is spot on. This surprised me; I have other Cold Steels, and they are much less smooth and more difficult to disengage the lock. The Frenzy is like butter. Is this the case with all of the new models? I guess I will find in a few days, because after receiving the Frenzy I immediately ordered the new CS AD10.

And yeah, the Fenzy does carry pretty well for it size: very light and thin!

Here's an in-hand shot. I have size small hands:
IMG_20190214_163608485.jpg

Got my Frenzy yesterday. Although I don't think it is too practical for anything besides disemboweling something, all my other knives are practical and utilitarian designs, so I am going to allow myself this one crazy folder. Obviously, it's purpose built, so I don't consider that a con.
I find that the wharncliffe is my favorite blade shape, and even though the design is obviously super stabby it is also super useful. That long straight blade is a great at food prep, with the added benefit of the length keeping the pivot clear of whatever you are cutting through. It can split a bagel in a heartbeat, among other tasks. I have used it shaving down wood a few times, using the rounded tip as an off-hand thumb ramp while locking the back of the blade against my 2nd knuckle. Again, that long, flat blade allows for long, smooth cuts. If I didn't think somebody might have a heart attack if I whipped it out in public, I probably would carry it every day. Obviously I am biased, but I think ALL of your folders are practical and utilitarian. So you need to continue your quest to find that crazy folder, and if this sounds like enabling, then it is.....

I find that the wharncliffe is my favorite blade shape, and even though the design is obviously super stabby it is also super useful. That long straight blade is a great at food prep, with the added benefit of the length keeping the pivot clear of whatever you are cutting through. It can split a bagel in a heartbeat, among other tasks. I have used it shaving down wood a few times, using the rounded tip as an off-hand thumb ramp while locking the back of the blade against my 2nd knuckle. Again, that long, flat blade allows for long, smooth cuts. If I didn't think somebody might have a heart attack if I whipped it out in public, I probably would carry it every day. Obviously I am biased, but I think ALL of your folders are practical and utilitarian. So you need to continue your quest to find that crazy folder, and if this sounds like enabling, then it is.....
Ha, good points. I not sure this is one I can whip out in public without some stares, but it will definitely find its way to some uses!

It's a fantastic knife, carry mine very often, for anyone to talk you out of getting one would be doing you a disservice :)

I love the knife. The G10 looks great, and the action is phenomenal! I think it is smoother than my custom AD10, and the fit and finish is spot on. This surprised me; I have other Cold Steels, and they are much less smooth and more difficult to disengage the lock. The Frenzy is like butter. Is this the case with all of the new models? I guess I will find in a few days, because after receiving the Frenzy I immediately ordered the new CS AD10.

And yeah, the Fenzy does carry pretty well for it size: very light and thin!

Here's an in-hand shot. I have size small hands:
View attachment 1074018

Oooooooo it's purdy.:D Seriously though that's an extremely nice knife. Thanks for the input hand shot that's what I was waiting for. This is definitely on my wtb list. Enjoy it

How stiff is the clip? I love CS products, but I have seen some where the clip is almost unuseable, even after attempts to take some of the tension out (like my XL Voyager).

How stiff is the clip? I love CS products, but I have seen some where the clip is almost unuseable, even after attempts to take some of the tension out (like my XL Voyager).

Not stiff. Didn't require any adjustment. You might be thinking of a different model.

Thanks, I like that knife and have been planning to buy one. The different model that I was thinking of is the XL Voyager. The clip is basically unusable due to stiffness.

Thanks, I like that knife and have been planning to buy one. The different model that I was thinking of is the XL Voyager. The clip is basically unusable due to stiffness.

Yeah, the stiff clip combined with the texturing on the Voyager series is rough on the pocket. On mine, I reduced clip tension and also used a Dremel to carefully remove handle material.

The Frenzy may be the only Cold Steel I have that I haven't felt the need to sand under the clip to be able to use it.

The Frenzy may be the only Cold Steel I have that I haven't felt the need to sand under the clip to be able to use it.

Yep, more often than not the clip needs adjustment and/or sanding underneath. When they use smoother G-10 it helps and even more so when the G-10 is machined as with the Frenzy, Swift, Colossus, AD-10, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a long-time Cold Steel fan. But I don't think that you should have to modify one of their knives to be able to carry it.

Back