1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. CONTEST CLOSES AT MIDNIGHT, SATURDAY! Week 7 of the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways is live!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Laconico Gemini, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at midnight Saturday, Feb 16; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!
    Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I might need a Frenzy. Talk me into/ out of it.

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by jstn, Feb 8, 2019.

1. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Okay, I definitely don't NEED a Frenzy. I generally like lighter knives. My largest folder is a Recon 1, and it only gets carried into the woods. But I love wharncliffes, and I kind of just want a ridiculously large folder. The Frenzy looks cool and fun, and it has multi-colored G10. Whats not to like?

So, any of you guys that have one care to share some experiences? Is is actually carry-able? With such a long handle and long blade, do you find it to be useful? Do I just want one, or do I actually NEED one?

Man with no name likes this.
  2. Man with no name

Man with no name

Jun 24, 2015
    Incredibly light and easy to carry. Feels good in the hand. I say go for it, you won't regret it!

nephron likes this.
  3. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    That's what I wanted to hear. I was afraid it might be cumbersome to carry. Thanks for the input, you have convinced me to get one!

4. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    You won't regret the Frenzy. It's a bit skinny for my hand, I wear a large glove, but it's still comfortable enough to use and the ergos are nice. The best way I have found to carry it is in long pocket on the side of carpenter jeans and shorts. I've wandered all over town with it and nobody has even noticed.

nephron and jstn like this.
  5. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Carries well for me a standard Levi 505 front pocket. It's the only XL I enjoy carrying.

jstn likes this.
  6. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    When ya get it post up some pics please. I'm curious how it looks in ur hand cause I have large hands too and am interested in this knife

jstn likes this.
  7. GlockMonkey

GlockMonkey

Sep 8, 2002
    Frenzy is probably the easiest XL Cold Steel to carry. It's thin, fairly narrow and the clip isn't deep carry. I don't think I have any pants that don't work with it. I'm surprised we haven't seen a smaller version. It seems like it would do well.

AF likes this.
  8. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    The G-10 is smooth too - so no pocket shredding.

Man with no name likes this.
  9. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    Got my Frenzy yesterday. Although I don't think it is too practical for anything besides disemboweling something, all my other knives are practical and utilitarian designs, so I am going to allow myself this one crazy folder. Obviously, it's purpose built, so I don't consider that a con.

I love the knife. The G10 looks great, and the action is phenomenal! I think it is smoother than my custom AD10, and the fit and finish is spot on. This surprised me; I have other Cold Steels, and they are much less smooth and more difficult to disengage the lock. The Frenzy is like butter. Is this the case with all of the new models? I guess I will find in a few days, because after receiving the Frenzy I immediately ordered the new CS AD10.

And yeah, the Fenzy does carry pretty well for it size: very light and thin!

Here's an in-hand shot. I have size small hands:
    IMG_20190214_163608485.jpg

Man with no name, gastonian and AF like this.
  10. BitingSarcasm

BitingSarcasm

Feb 25, 2014
    I find that the wharncliffe is my favorite blade shape, and even though the design is obviously super stabby it is also super useful. That long straight blade is a great at food prep, with the added benefit of the length keeping the pivot clear of whatever you are cutting through. It can split a bagel in a heartbeat, among other tasks. I have used it shaving down wood a few times, using the rounded tip as an off-hand thumb ramp while locking the back of the blade against my 2nd knuckle. Again, that long, flat blade allows for long, smooth cuts. If I didn't think somebody might have a heart attack if I whipped it out in public, I probably would carry it every day. Obviously I am biased, but I think ALL of your folders are practical and utilitarian. So you need to continue your quest to find that crazy folder, and if this sounds like enabling, then it is.....

jstn and DocJD like this.
  11. jstn

Jun 27, 2012
    Ha, good points. I not sure this is one I can whip out in public without some stares, but it will definitely find its way to some uses!

12. Mick_1KRR

Mick_1KRR

May 1, 2016
    It's a fantastic knife, carry mine very often, for anyone to talk you out of getting one would be doing you a disservice :)