Recommendation? I need a gardening sword (aka machete)

Blackberries laugh at hedge trimmers, both powered and the big scissor-like things. It also laughs at loppers. A pole saw (chainsaw on the end of a stick) did work the year previous, but is a major pain in the ass. I'm not ready to try a scythe, so I want a gardening sword. The big home improvement stores seem to only sell machetes made by Fiskars. I like their scissors, so I tried one. Nasty. It came with an edge of 2mm. I'm not kidding! After I ground this down, the best edge I could get was no better than an otherwise good knife allowed to get really dull. And even that wouldn't hold. So I returned it. The only other thing similar was labeled "machete" but instead resembled a sword-like-object from some fantasy manga or video game. Where can I get a decent machete for not too much money?

Many, if not most, machetes come "unsharpened". Some have enough of an edge to work; but they aren't going to be what knife people consider sharp.

*Edited to add - I just looked up the Fiskars machete at a local big box, and the description does say it comes sharp...but, again, expectations should be tempered.

Last edited:
try out the ontario ct5 - it's a 22" blade, with only 18" being sharp... the extra length & heft of this blade is great for chopping wood / branches / etc

it uses 1075 which is quite nice for this application

if you want something lighter, look at south american machetes like tramontina & imacasa

Get a vintage genuine Collins machete. The WW2 US army models were made out of top grade tool steel and are the prototype for all the most common blade shape and plastic grip machetes mass produced today.

As mentioned above, machetes are sold with a thick edge that the end-user is supposed to finish according to the intended use. If you want something you can just open the mailing box and use, go to www.baryonyxknife.com to pick out a model and pay a couple more dollars in the Special Grade dropdown menu. The owner will put a final edge on the thing so you don't have to; I've had him do it for me, and it was rather pleasant not to have to bust out the grinder.

You can get brush cutters that are like string trimmers except they have a metal blade instead of string. I had a Husqvarna that would easily dispatch blackberries, tall grass, and saplings up to about an inch and a half in diameter.

I 2nd the tramotina. I picked one up a few years ago and it sharpens up great. Fun for cutting bottles too.

For a sword machete, look at The Kingfisher Machete from Baryonyx Knife Co.
If it’s too expensive, Cold Steel hase several sword shaped machetes: Thai, katana, gladius etc.
Not sword shaped, but IMHO good for brambles is the Baryonyx Machete, a machete/billhook hybrid.

Fiskars brush axe, available at Walmart last I checked. Will need a touch up on the edge but a comfortable and very capable tool. Fun to use as well, I have cut with one for many hours in a day and never wanted for anything more.(The bill hook looking one not those goofy axe/machete hybrid things) Ontario makes great machetes and the hold a terrific edge for a machete.

Imacasa. From South America.
Where everybody uses one.
I think Baryonyx has them in an upgraded model where he modifies them.

Back