I Need A Knife

I want a new knife but i don't know what I need. I want a quality knife that will hold an edge. The knives I have I try to sharpen but if I get a good one I will take it somewhere to sharpen. I would prefer one i could carry in my pocket as apposed to a sheath on my belt. I have a buck colt and a buck odyssey. Just feel like i need a new knife if ya know what i mean. I also would like to keep it from 50 to 75 bucks. I know very little about the metals used, can you enlighten me? What do i want? thanks fellas

Doug Soll

I'm pretty pleased with my Cold Steel Clip-Point plain-edged Voyagers. They are made with AUS-8A stainless steel that comes from the factory with a nice razor-sharp edge, that is pretty easy to re-sharpen.

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Spyderco Delica or Endura lightweight for really sharp out the box.

------------------
It hurts to be on the cutting edge.

Doug, I'll go along with Dann on the Cold Steel line, for good, tough, sharp knives at the right price. Get fancy later -- get quality now. (I've been reading too much ad copy lately!
smile.gif
)

Check out Bayou Lafourche Knife Works for the Cold Steel line. You can get any of the Voyagers from Roger for the money you want to spend. The codes on the Voyager model numbers refer to

X=Extra Large, L=Large, M=Medium,
followed by C=Clip Point and T=Tanto Point,
followed by H=Half Serrated and S=Serrated.

Get the Clip Point for general use and the Tanto Point if you’re a specwar wannabee. Get the non-serrated edge unless you have a lot of rope to cut. Serrations hang up on most materials, and they’re harder to sharpen.

Also, take a look at the Spyderco Sharpmaker, with which you will amaze yourself, how well you will be able to keep your knives razor sharp – even with serrations!

[This message has been edited by Esav Benyamin (edited 04-11-2001).]

Right now it’s possible to get a great deal on the discontinued Spyderco Wayne Goddard Clip-It Lightweight with a plain edge. Check out this thread, entitled "Good Deals on Spydercos." http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum52/HTML/001625.html
The Goddard is a 5 1/8" closed lockback. The blade is ATS-55 high-performance steel. Handles are black fiberglass reinforced nylon resin with reversible metal pocket clip. I ordered mine Monday night! I can't wait to get it.

Voyagers and Enduras are both good.

If you are looking for a smaller knife the littest Benchmade Ascent is nice and there are a few options to choose from...

------------------
Clay Fleischer
clay_fleischer@yahoo.com
AKTI Member A000847

Spyderco Native Lightweight in CPM S60V. The most bang for your buck in a small folder, steel wise.

I suggest spending $40-50 on a USED knive-see BF knives for sale/trade indiviual. Take the other $25-30 and get yourself a sharpner, so you can sharpen your own knives. It's easier than you might think. Good Luck
smile.gif

Doug,

All of the knives mentioned are great choices. I must ask you to deviate from your spending limit and purchase a Microtech LCC M/A instead. For about 50 bucks more than you are budgeting, you get 10 times the knife, IMHO. I know it is a larger initial investment, but I think you'll come out ahead in the long run. It sounds like you are a budding knife knut and you get the urge for a new blade once in a while. The LCC is comparable to some customs and the bang for the buck is flat out incredible. You should be satisfied with this knife much longer than a $75 Zytel lockback. The LCC is hefty for a folder although most people don't notice the added weight when clipped to the front pants pocket. Purchase a stonewashed plain edge version and a Spyderco 204 (when the budget allows) and with a little practice and routine "touch ups" of the edge, you'll never need to send the LCC off to have it sharpened. You can perform a search in the general forum or check out the Microtech forum at www.knifeforums.com for more detailed information and reviews of the LCC. Phil at www.2thehilt.com stocks many Microtechs and is a great guy to deal with. Make sure to negotiate a price! He'll work with you. I hope this helps and keep us informed as to what you purchase!

Take care,
Chris

I agree with the pro Spydie comments but also suggest a look at the Columbia River stuff,I am thinking of the M16 in particular

regards

Nick

Hey Guys,
I really love this forum. I get all the info I need. I am going to check into all your ideas, I really kind of like beherethen's advice of getting a good sharpener, anyway, I will check into all of this, check em all out and then post what I decide. thanks to one and all.

Doug

Esav,
How does that sharpener work? Does it hold the angle for me? I kind of think that's my problem. really good idea, I have stones oil and a steel. what really is the ticket to sharpen knives? practice? anyone else on sharpening tips? thanks esav and all

Doug

Back