I need an honest knife smith

I have a military issued Ka Bar that was given to my by my uncle who searved in the korean and Veitnam war.He gave me this knife upon my completion of boot camp in 79 No my son is about to complete his Bassuc training and is being deployed to Afganastand and I would like to give him this same knife.
This knife is still in good shape but the handle is falling apart and I have lost the sheeth does any one know where I can get this fixed or who I can send it too This weapon has many more years of service left and I would like to give this to my son as a gift

Hi,

Your Uncle sounds like a hell'va guy. Two very bad wars; your KA-BAR is indeed a keepsake, which I hope will serve your son well. Now, just some info...

Re-doing a KA-BAR leather stacked handle, in and of itself, isn't at all difficult. However, I believe the pommel is pinned through the tang, or at least partially through. This makes getting the pommel off, so you can remove the old handle and re-do it, difficult and there is a possiblity of ruining the original pommel. If the pommel is simply peined on, the job would be easier. You might want to take a close look to see how the pommel is attached. I'm fairly certain, it's pinned.

I've made a couple of KA-BARS, but I wouldn't feel comfortable working on a family keepsake like yours. I hope some experienced guys come forth to help you.

Also, if you go to the top of this page and click on forum categories, then to manufacturers forums, then scroll down you'll see a forum for KA-BAR, the orignal maker located in Orleans, N.Y. Perhaps you could send it in to them for a refurbishment, I don't know. But, that's where all the KA-BAR guys hang out. Good Luck, sir, to you and your boy.

Respectfully,
Dave

give me a call at 970-317-5592 and I will get you set up with fixing/replacing the handle and a proper sheath that is if you haven't found anyone else - I will gladly do this for the cost of shipping only since it is such a prized gift in a good cause..
if you get the machine please leave a message with the subject and where you live so I can judge time....I will call back ASAP

Greasemonkey, you couldn't find a better man to do this work! After reading your post, I was hoping one of the experienced pro's would respond.

Last edited:
Back