I need some advice about a martial arts sword

Hello all,

I am new here.

I am looking for a purely functional, well-designed katana for martial arts practice. I would prefer a cord wrapped handle for ease of maintainance.
I truly do not wish for a decorative sword, in any sense of the term.
I would like to find one of exceptional performance: well-balanced, efficient geometry, and high quality steel.

Please leave any thoughts :).

Much thanks!

Brian

I second TWG's question...what are you practicing?

If you are under formal instruction, you will want an OK by your instructor. Various schools of swordsmanship have minor or sometimes more stringent requirements on the type of sword to use.

If you are a beginner, starting with a real sword can be a very dangerous idea, *especially* if you are trying to learn without formal instruction. A lot of people don't listen to this because they think that they're responsible and therefore don't have any risk of hurting themselves or others. It doesn't necessarily matter how "responsible" you are. If a beginner was really responsible, they wouldn't take the risk in the first place.

However...

If you're practicing a sword art under an instructor, take a peek at a few different swords and get your Sensei's OK.

I suggest:
Cicada Forge blades
Hanwei models Practical, Shinto, and their higher-end models (CAS Iberia or Bugei)
And if you are able to afford much more and wait a while, you can look into customs

Those would be my starting suggestions...however

if you are practicing without instruction or are a beginner...
I suggest you check out tozando and look into their iaito. They are significantly safer to practice with and you get better quality for the price than if you got a live blade.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Robert Marotz
I second TWG's question...what are you practicing?

If you are under formal instruction, you will want an OK by your instructor. Various schools of swordsmanship have minor or sometimes more stringent requirements on the type of sword to use.

If you are a beginner, starting with a real sword can be a very dangerous idea, *especially* if you are trying to learn without formal instruction. A lot of people don't listen to this because they think that they're responsible and therefore don't have any risk of hurting themselves or others. It doesn't necessarily matter how "responsible" you are. If a beginner was really responsible, they wouldn't take the risk in the first place.

However...

If you're practicing a sword art under an instructor, take a peek at a few different swords and get your Sensei's OK.

I suggest:
Cicada Forge blades
Hanwei models Practical, Shinto, and their higher-end models (CAS Iberia or Bugei)
And if you are able to afford much more and wait a while, you can look into customs

Those would be my starting suggestions...however

if you are practicing without instruction or are a beginner...
I suggest you check out tozando and look into their iaito. They are significantly safer to practice with and you get better quality for the price than if you got a live blade.

Hope this helps.

I agree with all the above..
Give us some more details on your type of training. No way would I train with a live blade for quite a while.
Your Sensei will have specific ideas on the type and even length of your blade depending on the style. Especially if it is Iaido.

If you are training on your own without benefit of Sensei you could always start with a bokken. They are much more forgiving when you could be cut.

Gene Gabel

Back