I Need Your Help Fellow Forumites In Designing A New "Mega" Folder!

A lot of you know me and a lot of you don't. I've been a BladeForums member since these great forums were founded by Mike and Kevin.
I have a good friend, knifemaker Rick Chandon, who some of you may have heard of and he truly is now, one of the best folder makers around. He has done exclusives for TAD and also worked for some of the best production manufacturers. His good friend and teacher is the world renowned Butch Vallotton whom he sees on a weekly basis. We are collaborating on a new "mega folder". I love mega folders and I know a lot of you do too and I need some serious input from you fellow forumites. Rick has agreed to make me an example, FROM YOUR INPUT, so PLEASE chime in here!

What blade length would you like to see in a custom mega folder? I like 6" but the standard seems to be around 4" to 5 1/2". I know all about legality and such but to hell with that! We're talking about what YOU would like! This would be a piece that could double as a BIG utility/camp and of course, a defensive folder.

What blade thickness and what grind? I always prefer a FLAT GROUND blade that tapers from a THICK spine, (no false edge), to a razor sharp CONVEX edge but what do YOU think?

What blade style? Clip, bowie, drop point, Wharncliffe, sheepsfoot, and okay, okay, even recurve, whatever. PLease, this IS IMPORTANT and let me know.

Blade steel will be ATS-34 for this first example. I know we all love Damascus, S30V and such but that could come later. Rick does his own heat treating and believe me, knows his stuff in this area!

I would like Rick to make the first example with a liner lock. Rick can make a frame lock but just to get this thing up quickly, I would like to go with a beefy liner lock. Rick has learned his lessons well from making dozens and dozens of liner locks and makes one of the best and tightest around now. If it should be a frame lock though, let me know!

What handle scales? I know a lot of you like G-10, carbon fiber or micarta. Your choice. Or if a natural material, what would you like this to be? Desert Ironwood, stabilized Maple, whatever? What are your favorites?

Lastly, if you have any thoughts about what you would like to see in this mega folder, please let me know! Again, I know that a lot of you will talk "legal issues" here but I just want your ideas in making a tank of a folder that would be a thrill to hold, use and most of all, would hold up! We plan on making these available later and at a reasonable price. PLEASE, give me your input and thank you!

I like those mega folders myself. They seem to be making a comeback and to heck with being pc! I would say around 5.0" to 5.5" in blade length. At least 5/32" if not 3/16". Go with a high and deep hollow grind and 3/16" becomes a real slicer. I prefer the bowie style with a L O N G clip down to a needle point. This may sound a lot like the Madd Maxx but the bowie would have a longer clip. S30V steel would be nice, but nothing wrong with ATS-34, 154 CM, BG42, or D2. Go with a satin finish. Locking system should really be a framelock for its strength and reliability. Liner lock would work for me though IF it had very thick liners, around .80" to .90", along with full bolsters. The liner lock also needs to be deeper in the handle so a tight grip won't affect it. Handle material would be a micarta, preferably a brown rag micarta. Handle shape is something I've been thinking on since I saw your post, all of 10 minutes ago! I have really found a handle recently that I absolutley love, the Mike Obenauf model 2. I know I've been crowing about the model 2 but the handle shape just fits me to a T. The slightly flared front and long bolster along with the nicely dropped rear of the handle are not only pleasing to the eye but functional as well. Check out a pic of one of Mike's model 2's and see what I mean. Lastly I would put a solid titanium or steel full length spacer between the handles. For such a large piece that would have to add to the integrity of the overall knife.

Well, there you have it. Build it exactly like I said and put me down for at least one.

Oh yeah, put a pocket clip on for tip down carry and mount it as close to the top as possible.

Folks,
Now there you are. That is some wonderful input Art and thank you! I forgot to mention the back spacer and I agree that a solid SS or ti spacer is absolutely more desirable than the micarta spacers that most makers use nowadays. I know it saves an ounce or a buck or two but we're talking "beefy" here! I myself, prefer a 3/4 back spacer. Art, I know about Mike's Model #2 and that is food for thought. I too like a bowie with a long clip but I want all thoughts from members here. Don't worry, if this knife has a liner lock, it'll be plenty substantial! Thanks again Art for the input and please guys, BRING MORE ON!

Okay, since I get to decide:D This is what "I" would like to see in "MY" mega-folder, since there currently isn't anything like it available!

I'll answer your questions first:

Q-What blade length would you like to see in a custom mega folder?

A-5"

Q-What blade thickness and what grind?

A-5/32" flat ground from the spine with a convex edge

Q-What blade style?

A-drop point

Q-What handle scales?

A-heavily textured tan G-10

Since we've already agreed upon ATS-34 and a liner lock.....;)

Start with the handle configuration of the Spyderco Chinook with 1/16" liner/lock thickness and 1/8" thick tan G-10 slabs with a similar texture as found on the Chinook.

Pic: http://www.1sks.com/images/spyderco/sc-63g.jpg

See how there's *almost* a finger choil formed where the blade/handle meet, let's get a nice deep choil in there if possible. Oh, and break all the sharp edges to prevent hot spots under hard use.:) And a lanyard hole, gotta have a lanyard hole.

Add a 5"L X 5/32"T X 1.25"W drop point blade flat ground from the spine down, finished with a convex edge. Drill a 9/16" Spyderhole in the blade after getting Sal's permission:D And let's get some traction grooves up there at the base of the spine.

Make sure the screws and pivot scream BEEFY and throw a couple of bronze washers in there for smoothness. It would be nice if all the screws took the same sized driver, so we could field strip it with only 2 drivers, one for the pivot, one for all the other screws holding the knife together.

Add a nice kydex belt sheath with mini-teklok for closed, tip-up carry in the boonies and a nice G2 tooled leather sheath for dinner and opera :barf:

If you steal my design, you're gonna gimme one, maybe two of these free aren't you:eek:

Edited to add another .5" to the blade and to specify it will also have a 3/4 length steel backspacer

I would LOVE to see (have) a Cold Steel Vaquero Grande with G-10 scales, and dual stainless liners. I really like the wavy, serrated blade-style, and the 6 inch blade-length, so no changes needed there. As far as the lock goes, I don't mind the lock back (back lock?) that the VG now has, but a dual Axis-lock would be cool, too. Also, rather than thumb-studs, maybe something LIKE the "Spyder-hole" to pop-open the massive blade with would be nice. And while you're at it, a reversable pocket-clip would be great (for us "leftys").

Does it have to have a lock?
I'd like to see a 5 1/2 - 6" bladed Texas Toothpick, with half stops :)
Modern: S30 & Titanium/Carbon Fiber.
Classic: 52100 & Jigged Bone.

Now that would be cool;)

Remember in Crocodile Dundee's latest movie in LA? THAT folder.hehehehe

No seriously, I would love to see a mega folder with the following specs:

1. 5.5 to 6 inch Drop point plain edge recurve blade with thumb grooves at the back near the handles - this is best suited to the outdoors methinks.

2. Deep finger choil on handle and small choil on back of blade.

3. I would like to see very durable wooden scales or even rubberised for better grip and comfort.

4. Flat grind with convex tip that must be very sharp

5. Strong Framelock or thick liner lock with LAWKS and large hole for blade deployment (no studs)

6. Highly polished finish or coated blade for durability and rust prevention.(No bead blasting etc)

7. Tip down clip that allows knife to sit low in pocket for better concealment

8. Synthetic sheath for belt carry both vertically and horizontally.

7. 4-5mm blade thickness

1. 6.5" to 7" Drop point plain edge blade with deep thumb grooves on the last two inches before the pivot.

2. Deep finger choil on handle and small choil on back of blade.

3. Kraton insert scales deeply scored in titanium frame. Handle being no longer than the blade and only about half the width of the blade; blade being about 2.7 inches wide.

4. Flat grind with convex tip that must be very sharp

5. VERY Strong liner lock with liner and frame of titanium to keep the weight down and strength up and a very large hole for blade deployment and again no studs.

6. Highly polished blade for durability and rust prevention.(No bead blasting etc.) The titanium scales however could be bead blasted for a little more grip.

7. Tip up carry with a moveable clip that allows knife to sit low in pocket for better concealment and options for clip up or clip down and set up for lefties or right handed either.

8. Quality and thin leather sheath for belt carry both vertically and horizontally.

7. 5mm to 7mm blade thickness with the flat grind all the way to the spine. No false edge for better point strength.

Now THAT'S a KNIFE!!!

PS: thanks Thortso for the format I used.
__________________:D :D

5.25 to 5.75" Drop Point ATS-34 w/recurve & deep belly (like the Camillus EDC, but larger)

Handle needs to have finger grooves or a slight guard for a folder this big - and made out of a stabilized wood.

Problems I forsee:

* Handle will be too long for practical use (if over 6.5")
* It will be heavy - will need lighter handle/liner materials
* Anything except a frame lock, (or perhaps a lockback) will not be strong enough. This knife will surely be used to chop and pry, etc. Consider it a folding bowie...
* If too bulky, it won't sell well (being hard to carry/conceal)
* The balance will be off, if the handle is too light.

That said, I have several folding knives with blades over 4.5" and I love them. I have always wanted a solid mega-folder. Also, I would be glad to submit some designs (done in CAD) if you desire.

Great ideas all! I like that most of you can see a 5.5"-6" blade. I agree with pend because I think a 6" blade with a closed length of no more than 6 1/2" sounds good. Good thoughts Josh and Jody, you are in agreement with me in that I think a solid spine without a false edge is ideal. I forgot to ask about that when I started this thread. A false edge would save a tiny bit of weight but we're talking "strong" here. Pend, I may need your computer skills and thanks for the offer. Like I say gents, please keep your thoughts coming because I want to get as many opinions from as many fellow members as I can. Thanks and KEEP 'EM COMING!

-5.5" drop point, high hollow ground blade (easier to maintain than a convex edge for me at least), NO false edge, nice sharp point.. (recurve optional, I LOVE the EDC!). As for thickness: 3/16"

-handle shape like the Al Mar Sere 2000, (similar to the EDC but beefier, also similar to that Obenauf) without the rear "guard" so I can put my thumb on the back of the blade for control, no thumb serrations either please!

-if it MUST be a liner lock, make it .80" thick like on Charles Marlowe's folders. No indent for accessing the lock bar. Make it sit below the handle scales so it won't unlock under a tight grip (I assume you may want to grip a knife this size tightly!) and NO serrations to cut my thumb on the lock bar either please.

-Only a synthetic material for the handle scales. I prefer a nice micarta myself, but I would settle for carbon fiber or G-10, must have texture, grooves or cut outs would improve grip.

-I would not put in a full back spacer = HEAVY. Take inspiration from Spyderco's Military. It doesn't "feel" like a big knife. I'd use several pins down the back and a large diameter thong hole for stiffness. All screws should be tapped into the liners for strength. A nicely polished micarta back spacer would look Schweet!

-I prefer dual thumbstuds a la Darrel Ralph's EDC.

-Tip-down, deep pocket carry clip. Again I like Darrel Ralph's clip with three screws around the pivot pin (similar to clip on Spyderco Military or Chinook). Nice touch. Just enough sticking out to grab onto.

-As long as I'm telling you what I want: I want mine with all metal satin-finished, no bead-blast for me thanks. Unless, of course, you're going to add to the cost with a ceramic peen finish!

So when will mine be ready? Thanks Gene!

Leo G.

1-5"-5.5" Clip point with recurve and a looooong clip(like Art said)
2-I like the idea of a large finger groove at the front of the
handle. I am indifferent to the choil on the blade.
3-I would like a micarta or G-10 handle. Textured but not too rough.
4-I am not sure of the grind I would prefer, but I do like a swedge.
5-I think a beefy liner lock like you suggest will be fine on this
one. Maybe bolsters.
6-No bead blast finish. Anything else is fine.
7-In my experience large blades open easily from inertia, so I'd go
with tip down carry.
8-Go with kydex or concealex break-front sheath with tek-loc.

I also have designs I would be happy to submit if you are interested. My designs are hand drawn and not in cad, though.

6" Drop point recurve blade
Ironwood scales
Titanium spacer
Titanium framelock
154cm blade
Subdued carnivore style finger grips
NO CLIP, but a good leather form fitted leather sheath. A knife like this would be too bulky/large for easy pocket carry.

I would like to offer my novice input, But first I will need to know what a "MEGA Folder" is???:confused:

To TheBadGuy -
I believe a MEGA Folder is one 'big' folder! Sounds like we're talking about a 5" - 6" blade. About 6" closed - 11" - 12" over all length opened. You could consider it like a large display model hung in a cutlery store window. Sure has attracted my attention!

Now we're getting down! There is some wonderful ideas here. Yeah Badguy, Clyde is correct. A "Mega-Folder" is a big, folder, though this one won't be for hanging or displaying, it'll be for carrying and using! You guys are the best and your ideas are really valuable. Keep'em flowing!

Just another thought...

The handle could have about 5 3/8" perforations all the way through, the last one being the lanyard hole, right out at the very end of the handle. Reasons: to help keep the blade well dried as this will be a rough use blade, always in my back pocket, I sweat, it might get damp cutting stuff and I might not get it perfectly dry at night and in the field and for lashing to a long stick in various ways when reach is needed. The 3/8" hole will allow lashing with paracord, which all of us always have with us in quantity! :D

Also, steel strong enough to take and KEEP one of those wicked 15 degree edges would be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would sandwich steel ala Nordic knives be an option perhaps.

does anybody make an ATS-34 laminate?

It'd be great, but prob $$$.

Gosh, the more I think about it, I'd really love to have a 6" ATS-34 version of the Camillus EDC with some sort of wood handle.

[ Edited to include ]

Here's an idea of what would be a cool blade:
(Just folding instead of fixed, and about 5.75" long instead of 15")

A1-8s.jpg

almost forgot...here's another pic.

I wanted to include this picture to show what I think a large folder ought to feel like. I don't think a khukuri-shaped blade would work well, or sell well for that matter.

However, the handle has a nice integrated guard and the blade is nice and thick.

I think that's what most really would love to see - a Folding Bowie

Whatever you make, it has to be a "Man's Knife"...:eek:

Back