I stripped a hexhead screw. Need Some Help!

A while ago I did something dumb. I have a Teruzola linerlock. I decided to take it apart. I did.
When I reassembled it I used Loctite on the hexhead screws.
When I tried to loosen one of the screws (the hexhead is about the size of a match head) it would not loosen so I applied more force and stripped the socket in the head of the screw. :(
I tried to heat it, did not work.
Before I send it back to Bob T. I was hoping that the BF Members might give me some ideas to remedy the problem.

If this is posted in the wrong place please move. Thanks

A while ago I did something dumb. I have a Teruzola linerlock. I decided to take it apart. I did.
When I reassembled it I used Loctite on the hexhead screws.
When I tried to loosen one of the screws (the hexhead is about the size of a match head) it would not loosen so I applied more force and stripped the socket in the head of the screw. :(
I tried to heat it, did not work.
Before I send it back to Bob T. I was hoping that the BF Members might give me some ideas to remedy the problem.

If this is posted in the wrong place please move. Thanks

This has worked for me in non-knife situations with admittedly bigger (sometimes even recessed) screws:

Using a Dremel + diamond-tipped engraving bit, cut a slot through the head of the screw and then use a flat blade screwdriver.

What are you using for heat? Something like a soldering iron?

Here's the problem- if you couldn't break it free when it still had the hex head intact, you're going to have a really hard time doing it with a makeshift head, unless you can make a really sturdy one. Starboard's advice is good- I find that philips/regular screw heads are a lot more reliable than torx and hex because they're more forgiving with stripping. If you can make a pretty deep straight slot in the top of the screw, you might have a chance.

I hope you used the semi-permanant blue Loctite and not the nasty red stuff, otherwise I think you're probably SOL. If you have to drill it out, it's not the end of the world. Depending on what you're left with, heli-coil inserts or re-tapping could solve things.

Also, use a soldering iron as starboard suggested. It's more direct and accurate heat, and that way you'll only heat the screw and not scorch the surrounding area.

Good luck! I did something similar on my Griptilian, but luckily a lot of downward pressure on the torx broke it loose. The head wasn't completely stripped out.

moving-van.jpg

Have you tried using an extractor drill bit? They are like a left-threaded screw and you drive it in counter-clockwise until eventually it will bite and the screw starts turning until it comes out. It will destroy the screw but it sounds like it is already ruined.

Back