I think I found a cheap EDC

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by VTRonin, Jul 15, 2020.

1. VTRonin

VTRonin

Oct 14, 2014
    I carry two hard use folders at work but don’t like to carry those big folders out and about. Watching reviews a common knife that was mentioned was the Ontario Rat II. I couldn’t find a d2 model so I ordered an AUS8 to see what the big deal about this knife was. I got it today and really like it. A $35 knife is this nice?! Opens smooth, came sharp, and has nice ergonomics for my hand. Am I going to be let down by this folder with it falling apart with moderate use or is it possible to have a good knife at this price point?

2. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    You found a gem.

The Rat 1 and 2 are sweet edc knives that are well built and punch above their price point in my uses.

The steel is resistant to chipping and sharpens easy. You can polish the edge if you wanted with little effort.

The action and detent is dialed in, the liner lock is sturdy, the nylon scales are tough, and the knives come apart easy enough to clean up. Nice bronze washers too.

It’s a darn fine edc.

115Italian, Psy223, LG&M and 6 others like this.
  3. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Here is one of my Rat 1 versions. I have a few of these in AUS8 and a few in D2 (including the Rat 2).

They perform great.
    768318A8-6D0D-4248-8CA3-45C566279328.jpeg 2D3C76E4-04CB-44DC-84C7-C78DE336E1D9.jpeg

4. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    It's one of the most consistently recommended budget/beater knives around.

5. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Fear not about the quality. It's a proven model.

If you look hard enough you should come across one for under $25 bucks.
    That just can't be beat. Except by maybe the Utilitac II. Which is another Ontario model
    I would say it's in the top 3 in the sub $50 category
    Absolute best in the sub $30

MolokaiRider and VTRonin like this.
  6. gotgoat

gotgoat Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 2016
    still a great knife
    I'blown away at the quality every time I grab mine

MolokaiRider and VTRonin like this.
  7. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    I’ve got a Rat1 in d2, great knife. Mine is a touch off center but not enough to rub or cause any issue in use. The only knock against it, is it’s weight. They could easily make it lighter. The weight keeps me from carrying it more often but it’s still one I reach for if I know I’ll be putting in some harder use.

VTRonin likes this.
  8. jlauffer

jlauffer Dissident Aggressor Platinum Member

Apr 11, 2016
    Have no experience with the Rat, but another cheap 3" AUS8 knife you can check out is the Cold Steel Grik...been EDCing one for a few years. Maybe a bit uglier, but has the added benefit of the Tri-Ad lock.

9. VTRonin

VTRonin

Oct 14, 2014
    I’m going to delve into a little more proper sharpening, what have you found to be a good angle?

10. VTRonin

VTRonin

Oct 14, 2014
    I am glad to have seen it consistently talked about otherwise I would have never stumbled across it!

11. VTRonin

VTRonin

Oct 14, 2014
    Luckily mine isn’t off center, at least from what I can see. I have thought about picking up a 1 of thing holds up well

12. VTRonin

VTRonin

Oct 14, 2014
    I
    I have a few CS in fact they were the first more expensive knife I purchased. I love their lock up and I like that price point so I don’t feel bad about possibly wrecking the knife.

jlauffer likes this.
  13. JupiterPaladin

JupiterPaladin

May 4, 2016
    The RAT knives have earned their stellar reputation. Tons of us have more expensive stuff and still have a RAT or 2 because it's such a solid knife. Especially great to gift to people who need a knife but don't know about knives like us nerds ;) For most people it can be their 1 knife they carry every day and are just happy with it.

MolokaiRider and specgrade like this.
  14. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I've had a bunch of RAT 1's and 2's. Note that RAT stands for Randall's Adventures and Training, and the models have been field-tested in the Amazon forest, IIRC, each summer for quite a few years. A VERY good product. I think I still have an orange RAT 1, although I've given many away to friends.

MolokaiRider and specgrade like this.
  15. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    btw, rat 1 (with aus 8 steel) is on sale @ knifecenter now $23 (they are bf forum supporters)

for a hard use, full size beater you can't go wrong

specgrade likes this.
  16. specgrade

specgrade Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I carried my Rat 2 in AUS 8 for a couple of years and it performed very well. I touched it up on a stone laying around the machine shop. I am really impressed by its build quality. The Rat 1 is a little too big and heavy to EDC (at least for me). The pocket clip loosened up over time so I used some Loc-Tite on it. The pivot screw will center the blade nicely.

17. LG&M

LG&M

Dec 19, 2005
    My work knife is a D2 Rat 2. Great blade.
    Holds a good edge, robust enough, inexpensive and fun to play with in meetings. Or so I have heard.

18. ktataragasi

ktataragasi

May 26, 2019
    Aus 8 can take very sharp and thin edge and will only roll instead of chip. If you cut softer materials feel free to go as thin as you wan . If you cut harder materials stay around 20 degrees per side . I like ~15 degrees per side for most edcs.

19. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Don't feed the Trolls Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Both the RAT 1 and 2 are great knives. Be careful, great inexpensive knives are a slippery slope to great expensive knives!:p

MolokaiRider likes this.
  20. spyderg

spyderg

Sep 28, 2014
    You need not worry about it holding up. They are solid knives with a strong reputation. A lot of folks on here who own very expensive knives have a Rat to beat on so the expensive ones can stay pretty.