I think I found a cheap EDC

I carry two hard use folders at work but don’t like to carry those big folders out and about. Watching reviews a common knife that was mentioned was the Ontario Rat II. I couldn’t find a d2 model so I ordered an AUS8 to see what the big deal about this knife was. I got it today and really like it. A $35 knife is this nice?! Opens smooth, came sharp, and has nice ergonomics for my hand. Am I going to be let down by this folder with it falling apart with moderate use or is it possible to have a good knife at this price point?

You found a gem.

The Rat 1 and 2 are sweet edc knives that are well built and punch above their price point in my uses.

The steel is resistant to chipping and sharpens easy. You can polish the edge if you wanted with little effort.

The action and detent is dialed in, the liner lock is sturdy, the nylon scales are tough, and the knives come apart easy enough to clean up. Nice bronze washers too.

It’s a darn fine edc.

Fear not about the quality. It's a proven model.

If you look hard enough you should come across one for under $25 bucks.
That just can't be beat. Except by maybe the Utilitac II. Which is another Ontario model
I would say it's in the top 3 in the sub $50 category
Absolute best in the sub $30

I’ve got a Rat1 in d2, great knife. Mine is a touch off center but not enough to rub or cause any issue in use. The only knock against it, is it’s weight. They could easily make it lighter. The weight keeps me from carrying it more often but it’s still one I reach for if I know I’ll be putting in some harder use.

Have no experience with the Rat, but another cheap 3" AUS8 knife you can check out is the Cold Steel Grik...been EDCing one for a few years. Maybe a bit uglier, but has the added benefit of the Tri-Ad lock.

You found a gem.

The Rat 1 and 2 are sweet edc knives that are well built and punch above their price point in my uses.

The steel is resistant to chipping and sharpens easy. You can polish the edge if you wanted with little effort.

The action and detent is dialed in, the liner lock is sturdy, the nylon scales are tough, and the knives come apart easy enough to clean up. Nice bronze washers too.

It’s a darn fine edc.
I’m going to delve into a little more proper sharpening, what have you found to be a good angle?

I’ve got a Rat1 in d2, great knife. Mine is a touch off center but not enough to rub or cause any issue in use. The only knock against it, is it’s weight. They could easily make it lighter. The weight keeps me from carrying it more often but it’s still one I reach for if I know I’ll be putting in some harder use.
Luckily mine isn’t off center, at least from what I can see. I have thought about picking up a 1 of thing holds up well

I
Have no experience with the Rat, but another cheap 3" AUS8 knife you can check out is the Cold Steel Grik...been EDCing one for a few years. Maybe a bit uglier, but has the added benefit of the Tri-Ad lock.
I have a few CS in fact they were the first more expensive knife I purchased. I love their lock up and I like that price point so I don’t feel bad about possibly wrecking the knife.

The RAT knives have earned their stellar reputation. Tons of us have more expensive stuff and still have a RAT or 2 because it's such a solid knife. Especially great to gift to people who need a knife but don't know about knives like us nerds ;) For most people it can be their 1 knife they carry every day and are just happy with it.

the Ontario Rat II. I couldn’t find a d2 model so I ordered an AUS8 to see what the big deal about this knife was. I got it today and really like it.

I've had a bunch of RAT 1's and 2's. Note that RAT stands for Randall's Adventures and Training, and the models have been field-tested in the Amazon forest, IIRC, each summer for quite a few years. A VERY good product. I think I still have an orange RAT 1, although I've given many away to friends.

btw, rat 1 (with aus 8 steel) is on sale @ knifecenter now $23 (they are bf forum supporters)

for a hard use, full size beater you can't go wrong

I carried my Rat 2 in AUS 8 for a couple of years and it performed very well. I touched it up on a stone laying around the machine shop. I am really impressed by its build quality. The Rat 1 is a little too big and heavy to EDC (at least for me). The pocket clip loosened up over time so I used some Loc-Tite on it. The pivot screw will center the blade nicely.

My work knife is a D2 Rat 2. Great blade.
Holds a good edge, robust enough, inexpensive and fun to play with in meetings. Or so I have heard.

I’m going to delve into a little more proper sharpening, what have you found to be a good angle?
Aus 8 can take very sharp and thin edge and will only roll instead of chip. If you cut softer materials feel free to go as thin as you wan . If you cut harder materials stay around 20 degrees per side . I like ~15 degrees per side for most edcs.

I carry two hard use folders at work but don’t like to carry those big folders out and about. Watching reviews a common knife that was mentioned was the Ontario Rat II. I couldn’t find a d2 model so I ordered an AUS8 to see what the big deal about this knife was. I got it today and really like it. A $35 knife is this nice?! Opens smooth, came sharp, and has nice ergonomics for my hand. Am I going to be let down by this folder with it falling apart with moderate use or is it possible to have a good knife at this price point?
Both the RAT 1 and 2 are great knives. Be careful, great inexpensive knives are a slippery slope to great expensive knives!:p

Luckily mine isn’t off center, at least from what I can see. I have thought about picking up a 1 of thing holds up well

You need not worry about it holding up. They are solid knives with a strong reputation. A lot of folks on here who own very expensive knives have a Rat to beat on so the expensive ones can stay pretty.

Back