I think it's time : Another "who the heck are ya post.

howdy
Dan Gray here for those that don't know me.
I'll be turning 53 here soon
as a kid I liked to blow things up. make Knives, bow and arrows, sharp things.
you know,all the things as kids we couldn't or shouldn't have, if I wanted something I would make it, there was no money back then so it was,
make it or barter for it.. that was when the Bug started for me.

I've made, at least, sellable knives, since 1974 ,
I'm a vet of the Nam war, and proud to have served My country,
I have a wife of 30 years, lord help her she's been patient with me.
we have two boys that are grown up, we're still waiting for grand kids :rolleyes::)
I was a tool and die maker for a few years after being an MR3 in the Navy, turned to auto mechanics for 9 years, then started my own business in small engine marine, logging supplies and repair, Stihl, Jonsered, and Lawn-boy dealer, ecct
for the next ~20years Kind of. the last 8 years or so of that, could be 10 now
(how time flyzzz) I had been mostly part time from that bussel and weaned out of it and into Knife making full time.
You could call my shop a machine shop, tools are a mans best friend you know :)
Hobbies
I do my own taxidermy work, make my arrows for my recurves love to hunt and fish. I've been known to tattoo myself :D I'll try most anything at least once..
I also have a knack of pissing people off, though really I don't mean to. what I mean to say and what I say, can be two totally different things.. I'll give the shirt off my back to anyone, just don't throw it away...:) also My spelling Sux..:eek:

I'm Dan Pierson, a 57 year old software engineer in the Boston suburbs and life long knife nut. Spent most of my life hanging around artists and craft folk. Finally discovered that I could make knives a few years ago when my wife gave me a knife making class at the local craft center as an anniversary present. She's an enamel artist and jeweler. We support each other's tendency to accumulate tools, materials and studios :D

I'm still a beginner and get much too little finished. Between a rather insane job and a long commute there's just not enough time. Lots of partly completed junk that I don't finish. A few are getting done now though. Mostly stock removal, I'm set up for making and heat treating that here. I've done a (very) little forging and have reserved part of my shop for a forge someday. Much of my work is kitchen knives and small utility knives at this point. I'd like to do more historically inspired ones.

Donna and I have two cats, no kids, very many books...

Real name is Matt Gleash, I'm 34, married with a 2 yo daughter and a son on the way in November. (2 Boxer dogs as well) I'm a 911 dispatcher for the Sauk County Sheriff's Department. I fall into the "hobby maker with not a lot of time" category. Hopefully that will change sometime soon. I've been into knives as long as I can remember, so about 10 years ago, I thought I should try my hand at making them. Lots more to it than I thought, so in 2001 I attended the Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing for the Intro to Bladesmithing course to learn more about forging and heat treating. I read a lot of material on knifemaking and heat treating, as well as try to learn from all the great people on this forum. I love to forge when I get the opportunity, not only knives, but other useful tools like fire pokers, etc. I like stock removal method also. There's something fun about saying "hmmm. I wonder what knife lies in this bar of steel?" Then turning it into a short skinny toothpick, with my grinding skills! :D Practice, Patience and Perseverence! -Matt-

In case anyone wonders, I picked up the nickname "grease-man" in the Marines. There's no real interesting story behind it though.

My Name is Tom Megow I am 56 years old. I spent 25 years as an Anesthetist.The last 4 years I have been managing the “The Pantry” a free food program for the poor And working poor of our community. I am happily married to my sweetheart Denise with 4 children and my first grandchild due in March. (We are more excited than they)
Several years ago I got interested in making knives and went with a friend to THE BLADE SHOW. I was able to watch Jay Hendrickson(sp) and Bill Moran do a demo on forging. I bought supplies and started making kit knives. I assembled 4. On the advice of folks here I bought a bar of 0-1 flat stock, and have made 3 knives from scratch. I currently have knives in several stages of completion. 3-1070 Sawmill Band Saw fillet knives, 2-13c26 kitchen knives and one last 0-1 hunter. I have 2 forged 0-1 hunters started as well.
I can honestly say I gotten most of my instruction, inspiration, and helpful criticism here
At BF Thank Y’all Very Much!!
:thumbup:

my last name is edwards. i'm 47 and i live in a small town. a friend got me interested in knifemaking back in the later part of 1990. he moved away then i met a knifemaker by the name of art summers who just happened to live just outside of town. he helped me some but i'm more or less self taught. the last 2 years of school spent at a joint vocational school in machine trades class helped considerably. i started off making my first knife on a craftsman belt sander you would use for woodworking. i made my own belt sander out of parts you wouldnt believe could be turned into a sander, electric motors. i made knives until i had to quit due to fibromyalgia making my hands cramp too bad to continue, plus i wore out my belt sander, (it was still useable but only at a slower speed). i did make a few knives on and off for friends but quit altogether after 97. back in 2001 i decided to make another knife and ended up making 3 before quitting again. back in the middle of march of this year my friend helped me rebuild my belt sander and i ground a blade that i had cut out since 01. that was back in april. i grind a blade on days i'm not feeling too bad and not too hot outside. the fibromyalgia has acted up again and my left arm is not much good so i'm stuck making chisel ground blades. i gusss i'm hooked again on throwing sparks :D i just hope i dont have to give it up again.

Hi, like Fitzo stated, some of us old timers are not known by the newcomers!!! My name is Martin (Sandy) Morrissey and I am probably one of the most ancient members of this forum at 84 years of obstinance! Note that I did not say abstinance! ---- I have survived time in the Navy (WWll), where I was taught to fly, a number of years as a patrolman, motorcycle officer, sergeant and detective on a large southern city police department. I retired from the postal service with 28 years invested. I currently am attempting to sell my 28th motorcycle----finally got smarter, probably because of respect for a continuing life style! I was trained under the GI Bill as a saddlemaker and presently make knife sheaths for a great number of you iron pounders and stock removal fellers. I am a widower since Feb '06 after 50 years and 34 days of wedded bliss, have two wonderful daughters, two grandsons. I have spent the last 15 years in the southern Appalachian mountains of north Georgia------------Sandy

My name is Kevin Cross and I'm in Connecticut. I've been happily married to the same woman for almost 28 years and she hasn't killed me yet so I must be doing somethin right. I'm 51 yrs old and we have 3 kids. Two oldest have moved out and the youngster is in highschool. In my "real life" I'm a dentist in a small town. I got started knife makeing about 12 years ago or so after finding a kit while on vacation. I had always been a knife nut (began collectin at age 7) so I figured why not make them. Made a bunch for friends and family over the years then about 2 years ago decided to get serious about it and try to step it up a knotch. I am in the process of putting together a web site on blademakers.com and just bought a KMG so I am ready to rock-n-roll. I will send knife pics soon. Kevin

There's my name ^ and I am almost 50frickin1 years old and don't act like it. I have way to much to do and not enough time to do it. I have been married(mostly happily :) ) to the same wonderful gal for 32 years and have 2 adult offspring and 3 grand-offspring. My full time job is information technology geek for a public school district. I did an 8 year stint in the USAF and spent 2.5 years in Athens, Greece and the rest of the time in Wichita Falls, Tx(Sheppard AFB)...love my AF time....NOW :)

I started making knives(kits mostly) about 14 years ago and had to stop shortly after due to other priorities. About 2 years ago, with kids out of the house and more free time, I started up again and quickly found out that kits weren't doing it for me. I am a bass player and wood worker as well and had made my own instrument from scratch. Making things has always been a part of me but when I started making knives I got hooked.

In my desire to learn more I found BF and began doing a lot of reading. I built my own little tribal charcoal forge and played with forging and stock removal. I decided that it would be a good idea if I could find a local knifemaker that would be willing to give me some guidance as I was working on my skills. I found non-other than Tony Bose(traditional slip joint master cutler and all around good ole boy) lived only 10 minutes from me. Since calling him and striking up a genuine friendship, I have entertained him in his shop with my noob knife mistakes and he entertains me with his computer hijinks. My poor wife has become a knifemaker's widow(sometimes) and now I have to work extra hard to keep her happy so I can play with steel.

I have a KMG and borrowed Bader and most of the bare necessities for knifemaking but you always could use one more tool. I have made fixed blades and slip joints but find the slip joints to be the most challenging and HABIT FORMING! Dang things! Amazing...a knife you can put in your pocket. What will they think of next!

Anywho...I have made many good friends on BF and find them to be some of the most unselfish people I have ever met. Whenever I can, I hang out mostly in the traditional knife forum as I take a lot of images of Tony's knives and post them there. I still come back to Shoptalk and try to stay up on what is going on. My wife has me busy with bathroom remodeling at the moment and knifemaking is temporarily on the back burner. When I fire it up again, I'll be posting the finished products here.

Sorry:eek: didn't mean to write a book.:D

Hello everyone,

My name is Marty Blake, I'm 38, I've been trying my hand at knifemaking for about 2 and a half years off and on. I have always been a 'knife guy' and been interested in history, arms and armor and the like. I was on one of my many knifemaking 'fact-finding missions' when I ran across this thread: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326829
and was blown away at the thought and effort that people put into such a good cause. After following that thread I decided it was time to get to it and make some knives so I can do the same for some troops someday.

I live in Phoenix, AZ soon to be moving to Emmett, Idaho. I am ex-Army, having been stationed in Fort Ord, and in Korea. I have 2 Sons, one of which is an active Duty Marine, and one who is in Marine Corp Boot (San Diego) right now.

My name is Brian Flud. I started learning from
Matt Cucchiara about 3 years ago.
I am 35 years old. about 15 mentally
and feel 60 physically.
I have 3 boys 9 6 and 5. Married 11 years.
I bought a grizzly grinder and could not do enything with it so i bought a kmg and now have no excuses:D

I do my own heat treet with a peragon.
I plan to get a mill with next tax refund.
that's about it.

I'm Mike Sheffield. 26. I am still trying to make a knife worth showing to everyone here. I've been an on again off again hobby maker. My real job is a Staff Sergeant Liquid Fuels Maintenance Tech. in the Air Force. I am married and have one little boy.

Lloyd R Harner (Butch)
now a full time maker (i like starving artist better )
29 (dear god im in need of a fast car and an 18 year old)
having fun meeting other makers and grinding away life

My name is Mitch Kittel. I live in a rural area North of Star Prairie, WI. I have been knife making for 12 years. I started out by hand with files, evenyually built a belt grinder and built stock removal knives for a good while until I had good fortune to run into Mike Blue at his hammerin. From that point on I have been forging and starting down the path of forge welding.

I love this forum for newby info on all aspects of the trade, I have built 3 different forges (with the help of Dan Ellis) and I have the frame done for a 30 ton press. I am looking forward to learning and improving with the info gleaned from all your help.

Carl Rechsteiner - bladesmith
Been making knives for over 30 years
Enjoy fishing, hunting, prospecting, beagles and grand kids, when I'm not pounding steel
Confirmed recycler
President of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild
Know several of the guys on here personally, as good friends with great talents
Married 34 years and still happy about it (only one gal for me)
Live in the greatest nation in the world and know the grace of our Lord
Known by many as Rex, CRex, Curly Blue Turtle (1/4 Oglala), Toad Sticker and other less savory titles

Never in my wildest dreams as a kid, thought I'd see the things I've seen - many good things, not quite so many bad things, but some very horrendous and disturbing things.
Personal thanks to all that serve and have served in our armed forces.

I really like making knives!!!!!!!

Joe Caswell here.

I was a journalist in the motorcycle industry for 15 years writing under the by-line “Moto-Joe”.
Hosted/co-hosted a popular motorcycle-related radio talk show in Los Angeles for 6 years.

Started making knives in 1995. (My first knife was made from my second Damascus billet.)

Until recently, all my knives were made from steel I pattern welded (Mostly historic pattern welding).
The last couple years, I’ve taken a new direction, having designed a ‘mid-tech’ folder and utilizing Damascus I did not forge. Future projects will probably be along these lines (more design-intensive, very limited production items--fewer one-of-a-kind forged swords and such).

I’m an epee fencer with a national competitive rating of “A” (USFA), though a damaged rotator cuff earlier this year has essentially ended my 20-hour-a-week training schedule and with it most likely my competitive career. :(

I am blessed with a great wife and 4-year-old daughter.:)

Jim Viall is my name and I currently live in NW Washington state.

I am 56, grew up in eastern Montana, hunting and fishing. Started being a tinkerer at a young age and never stopped. USMC from 1969-72 and after a bit of college, ended up in the oil fields and am currently doing maintenance in a oil refinery after detours of working and running steel fabrication shops and spending time commercial fishing in Alaska.

One of my 4 brothers made a few knives and a bit of damascus years ago and I always wanted a damascus knife. Then 4 years ago I had to do some medical treatment and couldn't work much as I tired quickly. I was bored and need something to do. I bought some damascus and got the 2x48" belt grinder and some advice from the brother who had made some knives and started working reading and learning. I was hooked. Have made over 50 knives now (a much better maker than seller) have hammered out some of my own damascus and think I have improved right along. Have done a few folders that work well. Collected up a KMG, a lathe and a milling machine. Built a forge and am rebuilding my kiln into a real HT oven. Have most of the pieces for a press. I like knive builting and more and more focus my time on it.

Well, here we go!

My name is Christof, I'm 37 (as of yesterday), and "I do stuff". I did a 5 year stint in the Navy, a year on circuit making jewelry, have spent time as a bartender, waiter, manager, systems administrator, and network engineer.

Then I had my first kid. Back about 4 and a half years ago.

My brain exploded. I stopped doing geek work at 60 to 80 hours a week and started walking around northern virginia with a wife and a baby (you'd be *amazed* at what incredible nature is hidden in herndon and reston once you get out of the car). After a bit, we moved back to California and lived on a boat for a year, during which I did mostly low voltage construction work and boat repair.

Now we're back in Davis these couple years past, where I'm spending a lot of time doing bike mechanicking, knife making, and general construction work. We've got a second child, and my wife is in school for a nursing degree, so a lot of that is catch as catch can.

koyote is the default internet username I've had since the mid 90s, and there's plenty of people out there who use it as my "normal name"

these are some older pictures from before our daughter was born. my son Leif

Once my wife is awake I'll find out where on the intarnet she has the recent photo pages up, and I'll show off the kiddos

My Name is Johnny Warner. I made my first knife as a class project in 1977 while in grad school. I spent 22 years in the Air Force and lived in North Pole Alaska when I really got serious about knifemaking. I met and spent a lot of time with Bob Willis from Anchorage. Bob taught me alot about knifemaking and I am forever thankful for his teaching and coaching. In the last 15 years I have made only 5 knives. However, I got the urge again and currently have 23 blades in various stages of development. I primarily use stock removal method with my Bader and Wilton Square wheel grinders. I have a mill and a lathe that I use for knifemaking and gunsmithing (another serious hobby). My favorite part of knifemaking is designing the blade. As a serious big game hunter designing knives for specific purposes has been the direction for most of my designs. My knives are users and I have no interest in making art knives, while I appreciate those artists that do. Most of my knives are sold to Alaskan hunters and guides. D2 and Uddeholm AEB-L are my two favorite steels to work with. Currently, I have enought of the old AEB-L to last me from now on. My favorite part of actually making the blade is free hand grinding and taking it to the point of heat treating. I designed a Caper and Skinner set in the mid 80's and sold several limited edition sets. I gave the skinner design to a friend who now produces them using the friction forging process. The Diamond Blade Pinnacle I is the Skinner and I am proud Charles added it to his knife line. Enough rambling on my part, time for others add their Bio's.

I'm just a wannabe maker, but I hang out here a lot so I'll venture a short introduction. I'm Robert Dusek, 47, married, 2 kids. Grew up in central Texas, currently living in Colorado. I'm a software QA geek for a company that manufactures Ethernet equipment.

rmd

My name is William Crump I am an artist/blacksmith. I live in Northern Mi where my family homesteaded after the civil war. We stiil farm. I haved loved knives as long as I can remember. I come from a family of do it yourself type people who dont like to spend any money. This means making stuff or fixing stuff instead of having some on else do it for you. It also means not always doing it rite. I started trying to make knives when I was 14 I am now 29. I found this site about 2 months ago and met Delbert Ealy, since then I have been rethinking the way that I make knives. I am torn between traditional and technical, but feel that there is no harm in learning better ways and incorperating that knowledge into my work. I used to use a coal forge, and a hammer and anvil for most of my knife making (including making damascus) but have since built a forced air gas forge and am building a press. I also recently got a 2x72 grinder. I dont post alot but I read alot of the posts on this site. I think this site is great and it is helping me to refine my knifemaking. I have a website crumpsforge.com if anyone would like to see some of my work.
William Crump

Back