I thought mac carried a Vic for a reason.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
Ok, so I'm watching the new episode of macgyver ( say what you will, but I thoroughly enjoy it ) and what do I see ? Mac using the knife
blade on his Vic to turn a decent sized wood screw :eek::eek:
You've always got at least the can opener on any 84mm+ cellidor Vic and he goes and uses the thin tipped knife blade, talk about cringeworthy.

Btw he also used the pliers on it to effortlessly cut some chain link fence earlier in the episode, but that's just a typical Hollywood farce and is to be expected.

So whaddya think, would the original Mac use his knife blade as a screwdriver ? ( I've never seen much of the original )

The original MacGyver wasn't terribly authentic about SAK use, but he never abused them (actually, several different ones, depending on the episode). But it was an fun show, always something interesting and imaginative about how he would solve a predicament with ingenuity and materials conveniently placed there by the film crew. The current one sucks swamp water, and that's all I have to say about that :mad: .

Ok, so I'm watching the new episode of macgyver ( say what you will, but I thoroughly enjoy it ) and what do I see ? Mac using the knife
blade on his Vic to turn a decent sized wood screw :eek::eek:
You've always got at least the can opener on any 84mm+ cellidor Vic and he goes and uses the thin tipped knife blade, talk about cringeworthy.

Btw he also used the pliers on it to effortlessly cut some chain link fence earlier in the episode, but that's just a typical Hollywood farce and is to be expected.

So whaddya think, would the original Mac use his knife blade as a screwdriver ? ( I've never seen much of the original )

Did they accurately show the tip breaking?!? That is serious laziness on part of the actor/director/writer/producers which the original, being a network drama in an era where everyone involved was a bit more serious about their jobs, never would have missed.

Did they accurately show the tip breaking?!? That is serious laziness on part of the actor/director/writer/producers which the original, being a network drama in an era where everyone involved was a bit more serious about their jobs, never would have missed.
No, because it pretty much appeared to be unscrewed effortlessly.
It was in some kind of crate or something and the head was flush.
What I don't get is why they would even have him use the blade at all when the models with pliers have actual Phillips screwdriver don't they ?

No, because it pretty much appeared to be unscrewed effortlessly.
It was in some kind of crate or something and the head was flush.
What I don't get is why they would even have him use the blade at all when the models with pliers have actual Phillips screwdriver don't they ?

Mine has one on the back, along with a sharp awl; on the front a wood saw, flat head, can opener, small blade , bigger blade and it was $20. No corkscrew though, since I’m not a wine drinker these days

I watched oneself of the new show when it first came on. That's a time period in my life that I will never get back. I don't compound the problem with watching any more of this 'new' Mac. Ridiculous drivel with uninspired writing and direction, let alone acting.

It's not even a pale shadow of the original.

Mine has one on the back, along with a sharp awl; on the front a wood saw, flat head, can opener, small blade , bigger blade and it was $20. No corkscrew though, since I’m not a wine drinker these days

My guess, if it were a ph driver they needed, it looked better with a pointy one coming directly frontward from the SAK instead of the bottom mounted one. But the can opener tip, which fits most ph screws, would have given the same visual without being cringe worthy to anybody who knows about those things. That's the key; most people don't know or care, and those who do usually "willingly suspend disbelief," as the saying goes. But these gaffes are common. As a photographer, I can testify that almost all movie depictions of photographers, regardless of whether "A" productions or low budget, mishandle their cameras. I always notice those, and it distracts me when they happen. I'm sure there are other tech matters mishandled in movie scenes that bother people knowledgeable in those fields, but in the end, they are only movies, so we can all lighten up (fat chance :rolleyes: ).

Some really blasphemous things going on. Next thing might be a show about Jesus at a wedding turning water into Pepsi or the Lone Ranger riding a Vespa. Some things should never be tampered with. :cool::)

the new episode of macgyver

Some how I can't even get interested.
I have all the old episodes including the movies and just watch those.
For me there is only one Angus MacGyver and this new guy ain't it.

Who knows . . . maybe one day I'll give him a chance. But it sounds like he is such a dip shit.
Thank you R.D.A., you did good !

MV5BMTY5NTY2MzM5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzYxMTAwNA@@._V1._CR0,0,1365,1365_SS100_.jpg

I watched some of the new episodes for a while, mainly for the potential SAK uses. I have seen the new MacGyver use the screwdriver to turn screws. But the new series is ridiculous. I think I remember in one episode he knocked part of a bulldozer(?) or crane over by throwing his SAK, blade-open, to cut something that was holding part of it up(?).

After awhile, I couldn't take any more of it. The constant jibber-jabber between the characters, especially when they're supposedly in mortal danger and being 'stealthy' and undetected by the enemies. Especially the guy that's MacGyver's main partner, supposedly an ex-Special Forces guy, who acts like a whiny little kid who won't shut up. Actually, they ALL talk WAY too much, and always about stupid stuff. So not even the potential to see some fictitious SAK uses on TV was enough to keep me watching it.

The original show was pretty good.

Jim

Honestly I really thoroughly enjoy the show, and this episode really did show the first two mistakes that really stood out to me.
All of the stuff he makes may be questionable , but I'm not an engineer or genius so I can't say for sure if he could actually make some some these things with what he's got on hand.
Knife and gun mistakes matter to me, but everything else is just Hollywood fiction that's there for entertainment so it doesn't bother me.

This is a knife forum so I was only talking about the knife use in the show, but i guess I'm the only one here who watches it anyways.
I'm just not a sophisticated person, so as long as there's some comedy and some good ass kickin' I'll watch it.

I always hated MacGyver...the character constantly made anti-gun statements and refused to carry one but had no qualms making and using an improvised rocket launcher. I found it unwatchable.

I always hated MacGyver...the character constantly made anti-gun statements and refused to carry one but had no qualms making and using an improvised rocket launcher. I found it unwatchable.
That's definitely something.
I don't here any in this new one which I watch, but he definitely doesn't use one.

A premise of the show is that Mac once had a bad experience with a gun that caused him to have an aversion to them, thereafter depending on his ingenuity to get out of scrapes instead of packing heat. It was a flimsy idea for a character quirk, especially for someone who regularly mixes it up with bad guys, but made for interesting workarounds whenever he got into trouble (every episode :eek: ). I enjoyed the original series, but didn't depend on it for life lessons.

That was one of the things that I didn't like about the original show. Winkler had to feed his rabid anti gun propaganda to the show's character. He used the show for his own political spouting. Aside from that, the original show wasn't bad entertainment and was head and shoulders above the 'new' one.

That was one of the things that I didn't like about the original show. Winkler had to feed his rabid anti gun propaganda to the show's character. He used the show for his own political spouting. Aside from that, the original show wasn't bad entertainment and was head and shoulders above the 'new' one.
I remember as a kid, seeing an episode of Happy Days during its original run, where a cop confiscated a 'switchblade' from 'The Fonz' that ended up being a switchblade comb. Then 'The Fonz' took the comb back from the cop, started combing his hair with it and said, "You see, knives ain't cool, but combs are. Heeeeeyyyyy!" Now I'm sure Winkler himself didn't write that line, but who knows. Apparently he's OK with SAKs, though.

Jim

Henry Winkler is a very long term extreme leftist anti gun liberal. He even used the shooting at the Washington D.C.Navy Yard for a platform to spout more calls for gun bans. He's been a very big contributor to the Brady Bunch as well as the Coalition to ban handguns.

On the other hand, I think alox SAK's and Smith and Wesson revolvers make very fine companions.

Frankly, there is but only one true on screen macGuyver.
And like the bond series, where Sean Connery carried the part convincingly well;
I am completely convinced that Richard dean Anderson's screen presence can never be replaced.
The new series is a complete circus, so sad...
It's no wonder that impressionable kids watching this episode
Could very well End up ruining tips of SAK and the likes.
What a disservice to a programme which supposedly encourages
Quick thinking solutions.
But, I guess that's something which happens often enough in real life
To be a considered a common acceptable DIY practice to turn knife tips
Into make shift screw drivers!
I can only hope that someday victorinox would come up with
Just such a combi tool for the misguided thrill seeker :)

Sean Connery got there first, so he is James Bond, as far as the fan base is concerned, and I agree with that. But frankly, I have to admit that the current Bond, Daniel Craig, is closer to the one Ian Fleming created. Once upon a time, long, long ago, I came across a oddball Bond as written by a Russian author, who wrote him as a villain in a Soviet era spy thriller. In it, 007 was depicted as a cold-blooded, merciless killer, complete with dead eyes and a sneer. It was a real hoot, and not a bad read, for all that.

Back