I understand that things happen....but.

CRK, please don’t let things like this leave the factory. I have bought over 30 CRK knives since I first got into the brand back in 2011. I love CRK, but this isn’t the first time I’ve run into this and it’s a bummer.

Been waiting to snag a large 31 for some time now. Finally got one and it came with a tip so overheated from the factory sharpening that it’s straw colored for almost 1/8 inch back.

As I’m sure we’re all familiar with metallurgy to some extent, we know that there’s no way heating the steel to the point that it turns straw colored isn’t damaging the heat treat.

I’m pretty disappointed but I’m mainly asking CRK to pay more attention to this particular aspect of their system in the future. Thanks.

Attachments

• 86B4BB7D-B6BE-460E-A66B-720E25B5DA9F.jpeg
    86B4BB7D-B6BE-460E-A66B-720E25B5DA9F.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 328
Send it in for a blade replacement. Should not leave CRK that way. And it’s NOT Okay....!!!

Send it in for a blade replacement. Should not leave CRK that way. And it’s NOT Okay....!!!

Could be an option but I’m not super confident that they’d replace the blade. They might just hog off some steel and send it back. So I’m not quite sure I want to risk that, because then I can’t return it.

If I had some type of assurance from CRK that the blade would be replaced then it could be an option.

I don’t want any special treatment. I just what I expected when I ordered a CRK. I know they can do great things because I own a great many of them. But I’m sad to say that I am pretty disappointed with this.

Believe it or not, the blade will be replaced. I know of two other cases that this happened to. They didn’t bitch and moan about it and start a thread on how disappointed they were. They simply called them, sent the knife back and got a replacement blade. CRK even paid for shipping both ways.

I bought a large inkosi back in 2015 of 2016, can’t quite remember, but it came the same way. And the grinds were so uneven it was crazy. I have a thread about it somewhere in the crk sub forum. I sent mine back and they fixed it. I’m not sure if the replaced the blade or not but it came back fixed.

I would send it in.

Believe it or not, the blade will be replaced. I know of two other cases that this happened to. They didn’t bitch and moan about it and start a thread on how disappointed they were. They simply called them, sent the knife back and got a replacement blade. CRK even paid for shipping both ways.

I hardly think I’m “bitching and moaning” but I’m aware that fanboys will see any negative attention as an affront to their sensibilities.

I’m not even sure CRK is answering phones because of the pandemic. I will need to find out if they’re even there.

I’d like to speak to them to see what will be done. That will determine whether I send it in, or simply send it back to the dealer. Can’t really do much about it on a Saturday. Much beyond expressing my dissatisfaction in a fair fashion....which is one of the reasons this forum exists.

I had pretty uneven grinds on a small Sebenza, sent it in with a note and got the knife back with a new blade and an apology for the uneven grinds. This was back in 2016, still happy to this day.

I had pretty uneven grinds on a small Sebenza, sent it in with a note and got the knife back with a new blade and an apology for the uneven grinds. This was back in 2016, still happy to this day.

Cool, thanks for chiming in. Does anyone know if they’re manning the phones?

Will probably give them a ring if so.

I hardly think I’m “bitching and moaning” but I’m aware that fanboys will see any negative attention as an affront to their sensibilities.

I’m not even sure CRK is answering phones because of the pandemic. I will need to find out if they’re even there.

I’d like to speak to them to see what will be done. That will determine whether I send it in, or simply send it back to the dealer. Can’t really do much about it on a Saturday. Much beyond expressing my dissatisfaction in a fair fashion....which is one of the reasons this forum exists.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
CRK, please don’t let things like this leave the factory. I have bought over 30 CRK knives since I first got into the brand back in 2011. I love CRK, but this isn’t the first time I’ve run into this and it’s a bummer.

Been waiting to snag a large 31 for some time now. Finally got one and it came with a tip so overheated from the factory sharpening that it’s straw colored for almost 1/8 inch back.

As I’m sure we’re all familiar with metallurgy to some extent, we know that there’s no way heating the steel to the point that it turns straw colored isn’t damaging the heat treat.

I’m pretty disappointed but I’m mainly asking CRK to pay more attention to this particular aspect of their system in the future. Thanks.

Not trying to sound condescending at all, but if your goal is to ask CRK to pay more attention to a certain aspect of their system, writing it here does nothing to accomplish your goal.

On the other hand, they do have a great customer service staff and a phone call to CRK on Monday will help to A) Solve the issue and B) Address your concerns. They are also very good over email, so that is a great option too.

Best of luck!

OP, as Gizler mentioned, I’ve seen a few sporadic reports of the same issue. I don’t recall anyone circling back to mention dissatisfaction with CRK’s response, so I assume it went well for them (as with Gizler).

Make some phone calls on Monday. If it were me, I’d call CRK and the dealer to weigh the options. Bummer this happened to you on a Saturday!

I don't want to create any controversy but honestly these things are disappointing. I'm a fan of CRK but these things shouldn't happen. You are buying a quality product and confidence in the house is maximum, at least until now.
Keep in mind that for customers from outside the USA this is a big problem after months of wanting one.

I would contact both CRK and the dealer on Monday. You don't want to loose the dealer option by waiting.
The reason some may object to this type of thread is
A. CRK does ask that we contact them 1st, and give them a chance to rectify problems
B. We can't solve the problem for you, other than to tell you to contact CRK or the dealer. Thus it turns into a gripe thread right before asking them for their assistance, which doesn't make for the best relationship start. I do understand such threads, especially when there is a delay in making contact with CRK., The story can still be told , without it sounding like a gripe.
Hope it all gets worked out to your satisfaction. You certainly have a legit problem.

Last edited:
"If public criticism of knives is discouraged or not allowed, then this forum has lost most of its value. "

It obviously is allowed, since the thread is still here,. He is on a soap box making a statement, not asking a ? for help resolving his problem. He can do that, but it isn't the most tactful way to approach a company that will then have to resolve this for you. He could instead have asked a ?-I got a knife with a burned tip. Has anyone else had this and did CRK replace the blade or just chop it down,? I still have the option of returning it to the dealer-Would that be the best option? Or just posted a thread on how it was resolved after dealing with CRK.
I understand the OP's frustration, so I am not trying to vilify him. Just that it can be done differently and get better results.

" At the price point of a Chris Reeve knife, no defect should leave the factory."
Happens to all no matter how good. There are no perfect records out there.

Of course IMO, and I understand some may disagree, but I am not looking for censorship

Last edited:
Thank you for the link and info. I’ll give them a ring first thing in the morning.

No problem. It’s hard to not be upset about something you get so excited about. I’ve been there quite a few times. Give them a ring and they will fix you up! Let me know if there’s any way I can help.

I had a small insingo that came with almost a hawkbill curve at the tip. Emailed pictures and got to talk to their most senior sharpener. Said it didn't get fully sharpened and had me sent it in. He took care of it personally and it came back sharper than any CRK out of the box or back from spa I've ever had. Quick turn around too with 4th of July weekend right in the middle of it.

Thumbstud wear indicated the same blade was returned and judging by before and after profile he took off quite a bit of material and did so very skillfully. Did not look "repaired". Looks like the perfect Insingo that I am use to.

Back