i want a Gossman PSK!

Assuming we're talking about the cord wrapped PSK, I would say it is pretty much bulletproof. It's just a hunk of heat treated O1 steel after all, no handles to come loose, no fancy anything. The k.i.s.s. [keep it simple stupid] concept is written all over it. I'm not sure what the limits are, but it sure is fun trying to discover them:D

How tough would guys say the standard PSK is? How much hard use (borderline abuse) could it take before it fails? Not that I would treat it that hard, but its nice to know if its got the strength. Been trying to find the perfect knife (in my mind) for almost every use and this is coming very close.

I can honestly say that I can't forsee using it hard enough to break it. you would have to use a hammer against it to break it.
The blade design is a modded spearpoint, so there's not way to easily break off the point, it's convexed so there's no easy way to break the edge. It's a freaking tank. I've beat mine with sticks, driving it through lots of logs, thrown it into logs and never event a stress marker.

go ahead and get it man. you'll not regret it.

Brett

Sounds good! Thanks for the replies.

I'll have to wait and see how the whole accident I was in recently (mentioned on page 1) pans out. But when I order it, I want to try and make my own first sheath and have some fun ideas for the wrap. The more I think and read about the knife, the harder it is to resist. Plus you guys aren't helping to much either. ;)

I did push one to the breaking point and don't recommend doing what I did. I batoned one with a 3 lb. hammer point first into a seasoned limb. Then batoned down to a knot. It would have been fine if I didn't try to pry the limb apart. It was still whole above the blade and I was dug into a knot. When I tried to pry the wood I snapped the handle at the drill hole. The constant beating with the hammer stressed the entire knife. I beat on it like a madman. :D I do want to add, I purposely tried to break the knife. I break them occasionally to check them.
Scott

Scott,
I'm not sure your deliberate abuse will be covered by the warranty:D:D
But seriously, is that why you went to three holes rather than four?

Either 3 or 4 holes wouldn't matter. There isn't much steel on either side of the hole. Also the blade was buried almost up to the hole so most of the lateral stress was real close to the hole. This blade had 5 holes. A single hole right behind the 2 near the ricasso. This was the first prototype I made. One thing about batoning, if you reach a knot, not a good idea to try and pry unless it's a thick camp knife. The PSK is good for doing splits.
Scott

300PSK.jpg

:D

I did push one to the breaking point and don't recommend doing what I did. I batoned one with a 3 lb. hammer point first into a seasoned limb. Then batoned down to a knot. It would have been fine if I didn't try to pry the limb apart. It was still whole above the blade and I was dug into a knot. When I tried to pry the wood I snapped the handle at the drill hole. The constant beating with the hammer stressed the entire knife. I beat on it like a madman. :D I do want to add, I purposely tried to break the knife. I break them occasionally to check them.
Scott

Damn Scott, next thing you'll be wearing a hockey mask and beating on them with sledge hammers !!!:D

The temptation is getting harder to resist. I really want a Gossman PSK!
I can't believe you've managed to hold out this long, we will need to post some more juicy PSK action shots to push you over the edge:D

2-5.jpg

:D

3-5.jpg

Cardboard pants. ;)

5-4.jpg

Here she is in A2!

4-4.jpg

Which color paracord wrap? Desert Camo or ACU Grey?

6-4.jpg

RAT-3, Tiger Knapp (small), PSK!!, Delica waved

7-4.jpg

What an awesome knife!! My absolute favorite. Scary sharp, and even without the wrap it's comfortable to handle. It'll need some pants soon, but right now it can hang out in the cardboard or steal the tiger knapp's leather sheath. I wasn't expecting the knife until next week, so this was a nice surprise. I literally just got it 30 minutes ago, so those pictures suck, but I'll get some better pictures soon. Thank you to everyone here for making me get it, and thank you Scott for making me so happy! Hahaha.

Scott, any reason for the two smaller holes?

congrats...:thumbup: i bet you're stoked...:D:D

i love those PSK's... i've had mine for a long time.. they are a lot of knife for such a small package and they are wicked sharp too...:eek:

drop me a line if you want me to make you a neck sheath... i've already made a few for some other other guys from the forums...

I'm really satisfied with the knife, it's the exact size I was looking for. Fits right in my hand. I was afraid it was going to be too thin, but it's not. It's a tough knife. I bought 200ft. worth of paracord from countycomm to wrap it, but I'm really liking the thin profile of the skeleton handle and it's a lot more comfortable then I thought, so now I don't know what to do, wrap it or not? I'll play around with it and see what I like better. As for the sheath, I will definitely let you or Jeff (kydex) know, but right now I'm going to try and make my own. Something I've never done before and it looks fun/challenging. There's a tandy store in Union City, so I'm going there to pick up some sheath making stuff and leather strips for a strop.

Sweet knife, glad you got one. Looks like yours is pre-drilled for slabs, mmm, wonder how you got that:confused:

The reason for the extra 1/8" holes is that I can add scales if I have some pre-made. Also I've had people get it cord wrapped and then decide they want scales later on. Drilling hardened steel is impossible without a carbide bit. Those bits are a hassle because they break easily. This makes it easier on me if they are already drilled. I just recently started doing this.
Scott.

I prefer the look of the handles without the extra 1/8" holes if I plan to keep it naked, but it makes sense. I love the knife so much I may order another, but without the extra 1/8" holes, that way I can keep the one I have now and have the possibility of adding handles later.

I love the idea of the extra holes. Buying another PSK with handles is not exactly a prohibitively expensive proposition but, once one has used a knife long enough to "bond" with it and it has earned an honest patina, it would be a nice way to "spruce it up" to say "thanks" or still have the same trusted old friend should the idea of scales become an irresistable desire.

I keep my "handle-less" one without a cord wrap after using it both ways. I originally intended to leave it "naked" but I had to put a cord wrap on it to preserve my "office callouses." Then I had this "well-duhhh" moment and eased the edges of the handle ever so slightly (not the spine of the blade though) and it now remains an ultra-slim tool that will do the vast majority of tasks required of it without a problem. If I should have to sharpen tarp stakes, camp fire standards or such, I am sure I can find something in my bag to wrap around it. What? What if I lose my bag? Well, I would simply wrap a sock or my underware around it.:eek: Making that wee-bit-o-wisdom public should disuade anyone from asking to borrow it anyway.:eek:

I have been thinking about another with 1/8" scales - still incredibly thin but at keast as thick as a cord-wrapped one. Is 1/8" scales an advisable option?

Good point Jeff, I like the way you put it. The micarta handles on your PSK looks excellent and might be something I'll want to add to mines later. Now I'm glad for the extra holes.

After wrapping the handle today, I'm not exactly sure what setup to go with. Right now I like it better without the wrap, but I haven't exactly done anything tough on the hands yet. I might take out a few strands in the paracord to make it thinner.

I also made a cardboard & duct tape sheath for my PSK today. I'll attempt to make a leather one soon, but I wanted something to carry the knife around in the mean time. Jeff, did you make a kydex sheath for your naked PSK? The ones you made for the micarta one looked awesome.

Back