I Want A New Grinder

I just finished my grinder build last weekend. I ordered the 2x72 chassis from 'OregonBladeMaker' off eBay(Can i provide the links without breaking rules??) And then i picked up a motor locally and a VFD off electric motor wholesale. Total cost for "just" the grinder(Chassis, VFD, Motor and Drive Wheel) came in around $950. I had to build a bench, wire an extension cord and of course order a bunch of belts. I too debated on 'Coote' vs. 'Grizzly' but at the end I had read "Get a VFD!" so much from guys on here it was going to be tough to justify not getting with it. I went with a 1HP motor and KBAC-24D vfd. I'll likely upgrade to a 1 1/2hp at some point but for now the 1HP and VFD are working flawlessly (me however, not so much!)

After all was completed it came in around $1100 for everything. Oh and like everyone says, "get a VFD!"

Ryan

Since you've expressed an interest in DIY, this thread shows a grinder I built - total budget is around $500 (I've got less, but had drive wheel).

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1234634-New-Grinder-for-me

Tim Gunn has some good ideas on using a NEMA 4 box for housing the VFD he talks about in the thread.

Runs smooth enough a quarter will balance on edge while running at 4,000 SFPM.

Ken H>

Thanks a lot for this. Now I have to see where I can get all the materials and if I can do it. I don't have a lathe or mill.

I started out with the Grizzly but it was so fast I never got a decent looking blade. Experienced knife makers can do it, but IMHO you don't want to waste time trying to become proficient on that fast a machine. If you can't afford a VFD then I would start out with step pulleys.

Tim

I have a Grizzly 2x72 that I do all of my work carefully on. It's a hungry, beast of a machine. Somewhere around ~3,600fpm belt speeds and I've shoved S90V in to a blaze belt at 36 grit without having the motor slow on me. But like others said you wont have the control and perfection of VFD machines. I do get by, though, with a steady hand and a decent eye since I do all my bevels by hand. The aux arbor for buffing wheels and sanding drums was also nice. I feel it'll last in my shop even after getting a nice KMG or something. I also really liked dealing with Grizzly customer service. Great people.

I will say, if you go the Grizzly route... look at this list of mods for it. There's quite a bit, some even involve slowing the belt speed.
http://www.stoneandsteel.net/grizzly-belt-grinder/

I forgot to include the link I purchased the aluminum: http://www.industrialmetalsales.com/6061_c5.htm

They tend to have about the best prices around for aluminum, and you can get it cut to length for most of the required pieces.

Ken H>

Wow those prices are really good. I dont see aluminum square tubing on there though? I'm going to just have to go off yours and figure it out as I go. Do you happen to have any more pics of the entire grinder? Would be awesome to get a 360 view of it.

I was just looking at that but those build plans he estimates at $1200. Little too much for me. haha

$1200 would be accurate if you bought everything new and used Beaumont wheels.

If you could get a good price on a motor, get your steel from a scrap yard, get your wheels from eBay (or possibly make your own) and scrounge for some of the other pieces here and there, you could probably build a frame with a flat platen for about $500 or less.

$1200 would be accurate if you bought everything new and used Beaumont wheels.

If you could get a good price on a motor, get your steel from a scrap yard, get your wheels from eBay (or possibly make your own) and scrounge for some of the other pieces here and there, you could probably build a frame with a flat platen for about $500 or less.

I'm definitely going to get on this soon. Thanks for the info.

Wow those prices are really good. I dont see aluminum square tubing on there though? I'm going to just have to go off yours and figure it out as I go. Do you happen to have any more pics of the entire grinder? Would be awesome to get a 360 view of it.

Pop me an email and I'll help anyway I can. If you look at the photos on the link'd thread, you'll see the 1-1/2" tube is actually made with 2 of 1-1/2" flat bar and 2 of 2-1/2" flat bar bolted together. It would be really neat to find thick walled 1-1/2" sq tube, but never found it yet.

Ken H>

Would a single phase motor be fine? I have 220 in the garage but, its on the other side of the building. I'd have to rearrange everything to run it.

I have bought and built grinders and I agree with Stan Buzek. Buy a KMG without motor and drive and then buy a drive and motor when you can afford it. You will spend a lot less than if you try to build one in my opinion and you will have a piece of equipment that can produce professional quality knives. Larry

I also agree with Stan and Larry. Save the time and effort in building your own grinder, by buying a basic KMG with step pulleys. Buy a motor through Ebay (be patient and learn what to shop for). This will give a strong foundation to build upon. You can add variable speed later.

I built mine 2x72 for about $65. It works acceptably . A better option though and the next one I'm going to build is the kmg clone. I have blueprints with step by step instructions. Recently I priced the metal and was amazed that it all came in under $160 already cut to length. And that's cold rolled without the mill scale. All you would need would be an angle grinder, drill press, and taps to assemble it. Here are no welds to warp the metal. It's all bolted together. The price was to build a kmg clone from 1/2 and 3/4 inch plate just like the real deal. I can post the plans here if that's not against the rules and someone will tell me how to attach a pdf from mobile. The blueprints i have are harder to find as they include the tracking/tension arm and mechanism.

I think I would just get a 2x42, it's probably not much of a downgrade from the Grizzly and a HUGE upgrade from the 1x30. Then later when money is less tight do it right and get/build something variable speed.

I think I would just get a 2x42, it's probably not much of a downgrade from the Grizzly and a HUGE upgrade from the 1x30. Then later when money is less tight do it right and get/build something variable speed.
That's how I did it. Started with a Craftsman 2x42 ($169) and was able to make some pretty nice knives. Then I built a variable speed Grinder in a Box spreading the costs out over time. First the kit from Polar bear forge, then a wheel set off of ebay, awhile later a motor and finally a VFD. This was a great way for a poor man like myself to get a variable speed 2x72.

I too have to express my opinion on variable speed. Don't put it off. There is no comparison versus fixed speed. If there is anyway to make it happen, do it. It's like the difference between a Moped and a Lamborghini.

I agree, the difference in a single speed vs variable is just no comparison. I had a 3 step pulley on my first grinder thinking that was just fine. I stated in writing a number of times that 3 speeds were all that's needed. Then, I went to a VFD setup, WOW!!! Just no comparison at all.

Remember, for a variable speed, you MUCH have 3 ph motor and a VFD both at same time. You can't do one, then later get the other. The VFD will change your 1 ph house power to 3 ph for the motor.

That's how I did it. Started with a Craftsman 2x42 ($169) and was able to make some pretty nice knives. Then I built a variable speed Grinder in a Box spreading the costs out over time. First the kit from Polar bear forge, then a wheel set off of ebay, awhile later a motor and finally a VFD. This was a great way for a poor man like myself to get a variable speed 2x72.

I too have to express my opinion on variable speed. Don't put it off. There is no comparison versus fixed speed. If there is anyway to make it happen, do it. It's like the difference between a Moped and a Lamborghini.

That is exactly why I just want to build my own. To do it over time. $50 to a $100 here and there is the way I'd like to do it. Honestly I originally said $500. But you know what, this will be a machine I will have for years to come, I'm in no huge rush to get it done right now. So if it comes out a little more than I anticipated thats fine. I just cant go out right now and buy a KMG for $750-$2500.

I already have a step pulley set that I think may work, and a 10" contact wheel I got both for free!
Steel or Aluminum scraps will be no problem as a buddy of mine manages a surplus steel yard. He has got me some nice brass bar for bolsters, along with other misc. metals. Not blade steel though :(

All I'm worried about is the right design for what I want, and the right motor.

I reckon mine cost around $500-$600 all up and it's solid as a rock... My only problem is the habit I've picked up over time that end up spending $1,000 for something that costs $500... If I need two bolts, I buy 20... If I need 2', I buy 20'... But then I have stock for that next random project. Though I always seem to find something else I don't have on the shelf to buy 10x more than I need!

Kinda like collecting wine... Stocking a cellar is great fun, but some day you gotta figure out when to stop buying and start drinking so nothing goes to waste by the time you croak it!

What am I looking at for cost for a decent vfd & motor? I'm just really not sure what I'm looking for right now.

Is it possible to get an ok motor with variable speed for $200-$250? (I feel I'm going to get some heat for asking that)

If you check the thread I linked to before, there are links for 2hp motor and VFD. The motor is $127 shipped and VFD is around $130 shipped, but remember, the VFD is NEMA 1 so you'll have to protect it from metal dust.

Ken H>

What am I looking at for cost for a decent vfd & motor? I'm just really not sure what I'm looking for right now.

Is it possible to get an ok motor with variable speed for $200-$250? (I feel I'm going to get some heat for asking that)

No heat.

If you want a 1.5 HP motor and variable speed AC drive at retail price, then it will probably cost you about $750.

If you are willing to wait a month or two, and are willing search ebay 2 - 3 times a week for about 45 minutes each visit, and have an idea of what to buy . . . then you can probably get a 1.5+ HP motor and drive for about $275 - $300. I have 3 different 1-1/2 to 2 hp motors and drives that didn't cost me more than $300 per set. Two of my motor/drive combinations are DC motors. Don't forget about these if shopping the used market. Most consumers instinctively look to by AC drives and motors, while the DC motor have a more consistent torque through their entire RPM range.

I still attest that (in my case) it was better to buy a step-pulley driven KMG, then upgrade later..

Back