I want to try a cold steel folder

I have a code 4 tanto on the way. I can't wait. It's slimmer than the recon 1 for edc

Thanks guys, gonna move a couple later this week and then make my decision. Looks like some solid choices discussed here, don't think I can go wrong. Thanks, Russ

Thanks guys, gonna move a couple later this week and then make my decision. Looks like some solid choices discussed here, don't think I can go wrong. Thanks, Russ

You definitely can't go wrong with whatever you decide to get.

Some great posts here, thanks guys. I will let you know what I get, afraid there may be more then one in my future. Aus8 has held me back, and that no longer seems to be an issue. Russ

I have to say, don't let the AUS8 hold yout back. I've used it for years and uears, often hard. It sharpens easily, and holds a fine edge long enough for my uses.

You can get great deals on those models that have upgraded steels.

That said, I want to try the new steel offerings, just because.

I have the Recon 1 in the triad lock and in the old ultra lock.

The first time I held a recon 1 I was blown away and just thought " man this is a nice freakin blade." It's been my go to ever since, over many more expensive blades in my stash. It's just a perfect all around knife, especially at the price. Or just cut to the chase and get an xl voyager or rajah 2 [emoji3]

Get an American Lawman, it's the best all around folder CS has to offer without being too specialized. If you like the AL, then you can try other ones like the Recon, Hold Out and Talwar series that are also very good.

Anyone who bashes AUS8 from their ivory tower doesn't know what they're talking about. Here's a review of the AUS8 Recon 1 from someone who's abused the hell out of it.

[video=youtube;FjfnRfyHAs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjfnRfyHAs4[/video]

Listen to steel advice from people who have used them.

The Holdout series, Recon 1 series, Talwar series, AK47 series, Lawman series, etc are all pretty similar. You'll get G10 handles, triad lock, the same steal and very similar construction with all of the most popular models. It's really opinion as to which blade shape you'll like best, and you really can't go wrong. Lately I've been eying the Talwar.. Just looks cool to me.

Anyone who bashes AUS8 from their ivory tower doesn't know what they're talking about. Here's a review of the AUS8 Recon 1 from someone who's abused the hell out of it.

[video=youtube;FjfnRfyHAs4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjfnRfyHAs4[/video]

Listen to steel advice from people who have used them.

Yeah Man, people like nut n' fancy. I was using Aus 8 when half these guys were waiting for dad to buy them their first knife... It's OK, and it this point the in my life "ok" just don't cut it.... See what I did there? I hope this post makes it through, it is a long way from my ivory tower;) Have a nice day... Russ

Last edited:
Mini Recon 1 spear point. Great EDC.

Have to agree 100% on the MR1 Spear Point. Its just the right size for normal urban/suburban EDC. I can see folks who live/work outside going with a larger size, but for life in a cube farm, the MR1 is the most rugged EDC I want carry.

I also really like my old Hold Out 3 in this role as well.

The Code4 is too large for my office carry, and its actually too thin as well. It just doesn't fit well in my hand. If CS comes out with a 3" blade, I will reconsider. I can always add some rubber grip tape to the handles for added thickness and improved grip.

Have to agree 100% on the MR1 Spear Point. Its just the right size for normal urban/suburban EDC. I can see folks who live/work outside going with a larger size, but for life in a cube farm, the MR1 is the most rugged EDC I want carry.

I also really like my old Hold Out 3 in this role as well.

The Code4 is too large for my office carry, and its actually too thin as well. It just doesn't fit well in my hand. If CS comes out with a 3" blade, I will reconsider. I can always add some rubber grip tape to the handles for added thickness and improved grip.

A mini-Code 4 is my most wanted item from Cold Steel the past couple of years. Like you, I spend my days in the cube farm (I'm a programmer, not sure what you do), and find some of the larger knives to be just a little too big. I swear by my mini-Recon 1 during the work week and carry my Code 4 or American Lawman away from the office. As much as I love the mini-Recon, I'd love something that isn't all black for the office. That's based solely on personal preference, the all black knife isn't raising eyebrows or anything like that.

MaxFisher,

Its obvious we are in the same boat. I really wish the MR1 didn't have the black "ninja" blade coating. Its not like the coating is really needed. The CTS-XHP steel is supposed to be more corrosion resistant than AUS8A. If it were the old style coating, I would just remove it.

I received a Code 4 clip point partially serated earlier this week. It is a great knife and hasn't left my pocket since. Lock was a bit tight to start, but has eased up this week, as I've just opened and closed it all week while on conference calls. Love this knife. This is my first cold srlteel, but will not be my last.

Mike.

Medium Espada! Once you hold one and come to grips with it you will understand!
8650a9f48c6bd7466964444b4835fc88.jpg

1. American Lawman great edc.
2. Code 4. Also a fine edc. Perhaps better in the kitchen.
3. Ultimate Hunter . Great strong knife. Slightly bigger than the others but very comfortable in hand.

I would get a Voyager or a Recon 1. They're two of the more popular Cold Steel folders for a reason. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Sure wish they hadn't discontinued the Black Rhino. What a great knife, and my current edc for quite some time now. I bought it on close out several years ago. Even the AUS 8 steel has held up way better than I thought it would.

Sorry to post on a discontinued model. It's a great blade for edc.

Black Rhino is the bottom knife in this photo.

Back