I want your help choosing DMT sharpeners!

I am tossed between the interrupted surface DMT's and continuous surface DMT's for sharpening. Between the two, which would be best for plain sharpening? All i have are folders if that helps, no kitchen knives.

Also, which length would you choose? I think the 6" would probably be fine, but what would you recommend? Thanks!

I like larger stones so 8x3 continuous surface is my choice. I like the continuous surface because its more like a real stone and it cuts a little faster. Larger stones = longer strokes = less time sharpening.

I love the size of my 10x4" Duo Sharps, but I really dislike the interrupted surface. I'm not sure what type of knife would benefit from the interrupted surface, but I find it leaves strange cut patterns in the steel and sharpening the tip is hell when it digs into the interruptions.

I saw they might have some 10x4" diasharps in Fine and Extra Fine which would be my choice if it's true, but I'm also curious about the 11.5" x 2 " diasharps.

IMO the interrupted surface is just a way to give you fewer diamonds for your bucks. I find the uneven surface makes it harder to get a fine finish and I haven't been able to substantiate the claim that it gives the metal dust a place to collect - still have to clean the surface. Only use I see for it is with garden tools - maybe?

I won't argue with your logic, but I like the interrupted surface DMT's. Get two 8" duosharps and you have 4 different grits for a reasonable price. The stand works well, too.

I'm not sure what type of knife would benefit from the interrupted surface, but I find it leaves strange cut patterns in the steel and sharpening the tip is hell when it digs into the interruptions.

I have the same problems. Quite annoying. I'll be going with continuous when I get new stones.

I won't argue with your logic, but I like the interrupted surface DMT's. Get two 8" duosharps and you have 4 different grits for a reasonable price. The stand works well, too.

I'll give you that my two DuoSharps give me 3 grits, but I think Diasharps are actually a bit cheaper.

Dia-Sharp...

I have the DMT11 coarse, the fine and the extra-fine. The coarse is ideal to set the initial bevel and if you want to get fancy, the coarse does a great job at flattening your hones (Nortons, Arkansas etc). You can't get straight razors to shave right unless your hones are perfectly flat. The DMT Dia-Sharp are flat within 0.001". If you are short on funds, the 6 inch coarse and extra fine can probably do just fine....

Lupin

Back