I wanted to get some feed back from the bush craft guys

I made this for a butcher that wanted a classic stile butchers knife. He both process deer and is a traditional butcher and wanted something that would chop and slice, so I went to the books. I based it on an old stile butchers knife that I also saw buffalo hunters and mountain men used as a all in one cleaver/ slicer. it is in 1/8" cpm 154 (if I do a run it will be o-1) with a mid line convex saber grind. I was impressed by how well it both chopped and sliced. the heavy blade and convex saber grind held up to chopping abuse and the length gives grate leverage. The extended edge length led to long smooth cuts. my question comes down to has any one used something like this and how did it work?

the blade is 8 3/4" long and 1 1/8" at the rocosso, the flare at the tip rises 1/4" above the handle. the handle is 4 3/4" giving it a total lenght of 13 1/2"

as alway thanks for your time and advice

Dan

Last edited:
I used a similar sized knife before, but the tip wasn't quite the same.
It worked quite well, and I think that one will too.:)
Maybe a tad more handle length...I like long handles. 5.5" would be awesome.
Send me a PM if you do a run of these.:thumbup:

For a year or so when I was young I was inspired to carry an Old Hickory butcher knife by a character in a show a show called Grizzly Adams. It was shaped similar to that with a forward rise and actually did quite well in the woods, my only complaint was that it had a bit more flex than I wanted and the hickory handle didn't hold up to the rough use I put it through.

Mist walker Was it the same show that had "gentle ben" the bear in it. That show is why I got into camping. My family already hunted and, my dad taught me a lot of wood craft, but I was the nutty one that wanted to permeative camp, and forage. I still have the necessaries bag my mom made me

Last edited:
Mist walker Was it the Sam show that had "gentle ben" the bear in it. That show is why I got into camping. My family already hunted and, and my dad tought me alot of wood craft, but I was the nutty one that wanted to premative camp, and forage. I still have the nessarays bag my mom made me

Yep, that would be the show. If the knife I had back then had a 1/8" or 5/32" blade and micarta handle i would have probably carried it a bit longer. As it was when I decided to get away from society for a while I had been working at a resort in Key Largo and had bought a Gerber BMF at the harbor shop. When the season ended I went and spent a little time in the Everglades enjoying the peace. Man, I wish I had a digital SLR and a computer back then, there was some amazing scenery!

Back