I was almost "that guy"

There is a campground 5 miles from my home, which I have backpacked to just for a fun overnight. I have a MSR Whisperlite stove from the 90s, which I have used on many a backpacking/camping trip. It has fallen into disuse since I started using a simple fancy feast alcohol stove, but I had plenty of white gas left, so I decided to burn some of it off this trip. I set the stove up, primed it, and stared boiling enough water for two packs of ramen. It was not long before I noticed some fuel dripping from the canister. The seals must need replacement, I thought, but as long as it stayed far enough from the open flame, it was okay. The water came to a rolling boil, and my wife poured some into her pot. At this moment, fumes from the leaking canister caught on fire.

We didn't know what to do. I was pretty sure pouring water would not help, since the white gas would float. We didn't have something to smother the fire with that would not catch fire itself. At this point the whole shebang was burning, and two guys from the adjacent campsite came over to help. I was worried the canister would explode and hit everyone with shrapnel. The two fellas had two sticks of firewood, and were suggesting that I move the stove off the table. "We need to get this to the fire ring," I said. Using our walking sticks as tongs, I was able to walk over and toss the stove into the steel fire ring. I was still concerned about an explosion, but the guys suggested just to let it burn. The gas hissed and the fire grew larger for a moment, then gradually gave out.

I was pretty shaken by the whole event, and by my lack of lucidity when it was needed most. Luckily those guys showed up and helped me regain my senses. All in all, I got off EASY. We could have set the park on fire, or ourselves on fire. Doing some research afterward, fires caused by leaking fuel containers seem to be common. I should have stopped immediately when I noticed the leak. Also, camp stoves need to be regularly maintained and have their seals replaced. The good folks at MSR did a good thing by making the pump/valve mechanism out of plastic. I think it melted once it caught fire, which prevented a pressure buildup and explosion. I shudder to consider if this happened in the backcountry.

I was so grateful to the guys that afterward, I walked over and gifted one of them my Cold Steel Frontier Hawk, and the other my Victorinox Camper. Hopefully they will get good use out of them.

There is a campground 5 miles from my home, which I have backpacked to just for a fun overnight. I have a MSR Whisperlite stove from the 90s, which I have used on many a backpacking/camping trip. It has fallen into disuse since I started using a simple fancy feast alcohol stove, but I had plenty of white gas left, so I decided to burn some of it off this trip. I set the stove up, primed it, and stared boiling enough water for two packs of ramen. It was not long before I noticed some fuel dripping from the canister. The seals must need replacement, I thought, but as long as it stayed far enough from the open flame, it was okay. The water came to a rolling boil, and my wife poured some into her pot. At this moment, fumes from the leaking canister caught on fire.

We didn't know what to do. I was pretty sure pouring water would not help, since the white gas would float. We didn't have something to smother the fire with that would not catch fire itself. At this point the whole shebang was burning, and two guys from the adjacent campsite came over to help. I was worried the canister would explode and hit everyone with shrapnel. The two fellas had two sticks of firewood, and were suggesting that I move the stove off the table. "We need to get this to the fire ring," I said. Using our walking sticks as tongs, I was able to walk over and toss the stove into the steel fire ring. I was still concerned about an explosion, but the guys suggested just to let it burn. The gas hissed and the fire grew larger for a moment, then gradually gave out.

I was pretty shaken by the whole event, and by my lack of lucidity when it was needed most. Luckily those guys showed up and helped me regain my senses. All in all, I got off EASY. We could have set the park on fire, or ourselves on fire. Doing some research afterward, fires caused by leaking fuel containers seem to be common. I should have stopped immediately when I noticed the leak. Also, camp stoves need to be regularly maintained and have their seals replaced. The good folks at MSR did a good thing by making the pump/valve mechanism out of plastic. I think it melted once it caught fire, which prevented a pressure buildup and explosion. I shudder to consider if this happened in the backcountry.

I was so grateful to the guys that afterward, I walked over and gifted one of them my Cold Steel Frontier Hawk, and the other my Victorinox Camper. Hopefully they will get good use out of them.

I'm glad nobody got hurt. Don't worry about the container exploding, it's made from aluminium and also isn't under pressure. If it were to explode, wich takes a lot of heat and time, it would just crack and not fragment. Like you said the plastic pump would melt before there is any significant pressure buildup.

You can extinguish a gas fire by covering it with lots of dirt or sand.

The Whisperlite is an awesome stove. Works in high altitudes and extreme cold.

Always take care of your gear, folks 👍

At the very least, I did figuratively s--t myself. I think I aged 2 months in 5 minutes.

I know I would've. Probably would've just told everyone to run and let it burn, watching from a distance behind cover.

I'm glad you are safe, but it sounds like an ordinary boys out camping trip.

If you wonder where scorched picnic tables come from, just blame the boyscouts.
I have seen the scorched picnic tables 😁. When day broke, I was sure I had added one more to the tally, but the table looked unscathed. Only the folks who witnessed the mini bonfire last night will know what really happened.

Having property and cabin in a high fire risk area, I appreciate you being humble about what could have happened. Accidents happen frequently when people either take shortcuts or are in a hurry or think they can get by (we have all been there). Taking care of gear is paramount for safety as well as potential survival. Very cool that you showed your appreciation by gifting cutting tools those guys can use and appreciate. Have a great next campout!

Very cool that you showed your appreciation by gifting cutting tools those guys can use and appreciate. Have a great next campout!
I had just picked up the Vic Camper a few months ago, so I wasn't too attached to it. The Frontier Hawk still hurts. Had that thing for 10 years, reprofiled it, friction fit the handle, had it fine tuned. But it was the right thing to do; I believe goodness should be rewarded.

I had just picked up the Vic Camper a few months ago, so I wasn't too attached to it. The Frontier Hawk still hurts. Had that thing for 10 years, reprofiled it, friction fit the handle, had it fine tuned. But it was the right thing to do; I believe goodness should be rewarded.
I have given away many knives through the years. Some simply because I wanted to thank them for something, others because I felt they would appreciate a good knife. Missing a tool that you gave away shows that it was something special and ‘mean’t something’. They will likely remember the event and your gesture for a very long time.

The good news is that the stove probably just needs a rebuild kit and a new pump, and it will be back in business. The cans are designed for "safe" failure, and it's up to you if you think it's still in good condition to re-use, but I'd understand if you thought it best not to.

The good news is that the stove probably just needs a rebuild kit and a new pump, and it will be back in business. The cans are designed for "safe" failure, and it's up to you if you think it's still in good condition to re-use, but I'd understand if you thought it best not to.
The stove went in the trash, I'm afraid.

This is why you should carry more knives with you camping - I have like 8 of them in my camping kit, and only need 2-3 of them 🤣

On 4th of July weekend 2022 I gave a knife to both brothers in law, sister-in-law's husband, 2 nephews, and my son-in-law. I still had 4 left to bring home with me.

This is why you should carry more knives with you camping - I have like 8 of them in my camping kit, and only need 2-3 of them 🤣

On 4th of July weekend 2022 I gave a knife to both brothers in law, sister-in-law's husband, 2 nephews, and my son-in-law. I still had 4 left to bring home with me.
Yeah, us knife nuts can afford to spread some love, lol

I had a Coleman 2 burner do this in a screen house. The needle valve went bad and resulted in a 2’ raw fuel flame hissing away. I also expected an immediate explosion. I got the stove outside, no blood, no foul.
We still use the stove, but replace the generator every few years. (the rod that connects the tank to the stove)

Wel... good timing! You might be still on time to get a new one with a nice discount due to Black Friday!😆

In all seriousness, I am glad you did ok. I never had a liquid fuel stove act up, besides clogging due to using it with pump gas instead of a more refined fuel. But I know they are a bit tricky to use, so everytime I plan on carrying one (usually if we need to melt lots of snow, otherwise I carry an MSR Windburner) I try it at home. If there is a problem with it that I cannot fix... then I take a different one and fix it later on.

If you plan on buying a new one, I suggest you look into the Primus Omnifuel or the equivalent from MSR. They have two valves instead of just one. So you can regulate the flow of liquid fuel and also the flow of varopized fuel at the burner... which allows you to simmer, not only boil water blowtorch style.

Mikel

Wel... good timing! You might be still on time to get a new one with a nice discount due to Black Friday!😆

In all seriousness, I am glad you did ok. I never had a liquid fuel stove act up, besides clogging due to using it with pump gas instead of a more refined fuel. But I know they are a bit tricky to use, so everytime I plan on carrying one (usually if we need to melt lots of snow, otherwise I carry an MSR Windburner) I try it at home. If there is a problem with it that I cannot fix... then I take a different one and fix it later on.

If you plan on buying a new one, I suggest you look into the Primus Omnifuel or the equivalent from MSR. They have two valves instead of just one. So you can regulate the flow of liquid fuel and also the flow of varopized fuel at the burner... which allows you to simmer, not only boil water blowtorch style.

Mikel
Thanks for the recommendation! I will need to get a replacement someday.

Back