I was given a NIB Schrade "Old Timer" 162OT "Boot Knife".

Captain O

BANNED
A friend of mine knew that I was looking at one and they bought one for me as a gift. He knows that I liked to travel in "seamy areas" (Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Tijuana) etc. It takes an edge quickly, seems to conceal well (beneath my sportcoat) and handles nicely. The Chinese 7Cr17 "High Carbon" stainless steel appears to be flawless (no apparent negative blemishes, poor grinding, bad Delrin and the like). :thumbup: :cool:

I'll be slipping it into my "check on" bag when I hop on Amtrak or Greyhound. After I check into a Hotel/Motel room at my destination, I can slip it onto my belt behind my right hip where it is quickly accessible, if needed. I would like to find a sheath that I can strap to my calf when crossing the border (I don't relish walking in the Zona Norte after dark). Sometimes it doesn't pay to be our after dark. :eek:

Does anyone have any experience with this type of knife? (I haven't owned a 3.8" fixed blade dagger in more than 45 years).

Nice looking knife - I like the old (US made) Schrades better than the later ones though. Nothing against Chinese blades in general.

Ive handled the vintage Schrades - quality seemed nice.

A friend of mine knew that I was looking at one and they bought one for me as a gift. He knows that I liked to travel in "seamy areas" (Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, Tijuana) etc. It takes an edge quickly, seems to conceal well (beneath my sportcoat) and handles nicely. The Chinese 7Cr17 "High Carbon" stainless steel appears to be flawless (no apparent negative blemishes, poor grinding, bad Delrin and the like). :thumbup: :cool:

I'll be slipping it into my "check on" bag when I hop on Amtrak or Greyhound. After I check into a Hotel/Motel room at my destination, I can slip it onto my belt behind my right hip where it is quickly accessible, if needed. I would like to find a sheath that I can strap to my calf when crossing the border (I don't relish walking in the Zona Norte after dark). Sometimes it doesn't pay to be our after dark. :eek:

1. Why would you 'like' to travel the destinations mentioned.

2. Sounds like a dangerous tack to wear a sportcoat there.

I think a cheap solution would be to get some velcro strap (elastic velcro would be even better) and use the current belt loops in the sheath to lash it onto your leg. That's not a great solution but it might be a way to figure out if you like it. I tried and hated carrying something like that on my legs, strapped, but that may be because I still have the legs of a sequoia stump from my more athletic days.

Something that may work is to get something like a compression calf sleeve and tuck the sheath into the sleeve. Some of the high dollar ones are super tight and should keep a knife of moderate weight in place quite well. Maybe sew the sheath into the sleeve as added reassurance?

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...sleeves/16skrasvrcmprssncspm?&color=Neon Pink

I have a buck ops boot knife and it came with a bunch of straps and such and I really didn't find them to stay in place the greatest when I started running and such with them without really synching the straps down and then it was very uncomfortable. That's why i think the calf sleeve thing might work out better, more surface area. Kinds of makes me think about trying it but for my arms as I was trying to do a forearm carry for hiking, running, and/or mountain biking.

Back