I Was Wrong About WE Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you suggesting only paid members should have a voice on an internet forum?

Yes, from your previous posts, you don't prefer US made knives.
Stop lying to yourself and everyone else here.
No.. it’s a suggestion- that’s all. A basic membership is only $10 a year. And it helps us all. That’s all.

I hate to admit it, but I have owned knives from just about all of the US production companies. And I have been a member of this forum for a long time. I would consider myself fairly knowledgeable in this subject. I am not loyal to any brand.

Sadly Ti. Looks like those old Balisong handles that Benchmade use to make with casting. I guess they never specify that they don't cast the handles, so fair play as far as I'm concerned.

I can link a picture if anyone is curious. It's clearly porosity.

What model? My understanding is that you can’t use cast metal for something that needs to be able to flex (like a frame lock), so I really doubt they’re casting anything if they have to machine the lock side. More likely it’s a finish that’s microtextured so it holds fingerprints and oil (bead blast will do it, as will some anodizing). If it wipes off with alcohol, it’s not porosity.

What model? My understanding is that you can’t use cast metal for something that needs to be able to flex (like a frame lock), so I really doubt they’re casting anything if they have to machine the lock side. More likely it’s a finish that’s microtextured so it holds fingerprints and oil (bead blast will do it, as will some anodizing). If it wipes off with alcohol, it’s not porosity.

I went ahead and made a thread about it. Should still be on the front page.

Nope. Can't carry a locking knife in China. Or the UK. Or France (unless you can establish a "good reason" and get a permit). It'd be illegal to carry in public in Germany. Blade would be too long in Japan.

Then I definitely would not like taking orders from them. If people want to someday be ruled by the Chinese government, all they have to do is keep supporting them... I used to be on the fence about that also. But not anymore.

I went ahead and made a thread about it. Should still be on the front page.
I’ll check out the thread. I have a WE 615 that was from the second wave of original design offerings. The handle has a very coarse feel, although I never felt it was porous. I always attributed it to an overly strong bead blast.

I’ll dig it out and take a closer look. I wonder why you’d cast something when a CNC can make them without human labor or intervention?

My picture taking skills suck, but I’ll try to get some up of the handle finish.

Then I definitely would not like taking orders from them. If people want to someday be ruled by the Chinese government, all they have to do is keep supporting them... I used to be on the fence about that also. But not anymore.

Last warning to all participants of this thread: this is a *knife* discussion forum, discussing a knife in regards to its manufacture location is allowed but any mention of a country's government or governmental policies is not allowed in this subforum, the Political Arena is the only subforum where political discussions is allowed. Any further political posts could result in warnings/infractions or the thread being closed.

Last warning to all participants of this thread: this is a *knife* discussion forum, discussing a knife in regards to its manufacture location is allowed but any mention of a country's government or governmental policies is not allowed in this subforum, the Political Arena is the only subforum where political discussions is allowed. Any further political posts could result in warnings/infractions or the thread being closed.

I apologize. I got carried away and forgot about that. It won't happen again.

I completely support US knife cos but I'm a knife nut first. And it just can't he ignored shops like Kizer and WE are just killing it right now. The last two interesting knives that came to me or I bought were front flippers from Kizer and Real Steel and they were built fantastic!

That's one of the better looking models. The one with the damascus and CF is wild--but I bet it costs more than your average China knife.

Just saw they're one piece. Awesome

Last edited:
That's one of the better looking models. The one with the damascus and CF is wild--but I bet it costs more than your average China knife.

Just saw they're one piece. Awesome
More than your average production knife from anywhere....how does $600+ grab you....But I think I'll stick with the original....
IBWolmcl.jpg

Yeah, 600 is custom territory for me.

Very nice. Havn't seen one of those in a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back