How To I Won 19 Beautiful Antler Scales at an Auction

Hi - I am a newbie! I have made several wooden handled knives in my wood shop previously. Just before Christmas I won an auction of 19 antler scales that are inlaid or carved with arrowheads, bear tracks, Christmas tree, wood spirit, and several other beautiful inlays and stacked scales. These are so beautiful I have numerous questions on the best way to utilize them. Each is a full antler and is polished and finished. Trying to "size" the knife blades to purchase to go with the handles, obtain the best tang fitting since scales are round and finished already. Suggestions -recommendations are greatly appreciated. I don't want to "mess up" these beautiful pieces.
Thank You
Capt Ron
JhJ17iW.jpg
JhJ17iW.jpg

Congrats on winning that stuff - freebies are always good. Even if you'd had to buy it at a good price it would have been good. Those are some nice antler pieces.

To fit the antler to the blade, there needs to be some sort of bolster or guard. Wooden front bolsters are common with antler. Hard dark woods like African Blackwood, Wenge, Ziricote, etc. are well suited.

If you don't make blades yourself, a local maker may be willing to take some of the handles in trade for making blades and bolsters for a few of the others.

To fit the antler to the blade, there needs to be some sort of bolster or guard. Wooden front bolsters are common with antler. Hard dark woods like African Blackwood, Wenge, Ziricote, etc. are well suited.

If you don't make blades yourself, a local maker may be willing to take some of the handles in trade for making blades and bolsters for a few of the others.
Thank You - Great Idea!

Back