I would like some feedback from the Fiddleheads on this forum on sheath details.

IMG_5301_zpsvak9kxm2.jpg

Here is the front of that sheath.

It seems that we are split on this decision so far on the dye issue. I can hear Comprehensivists talk about the aesthetic. I think that is a great concept and there may be times I need to take that into account.

TO be clearer - I always seal the belt loop and into the mouth of the sheath with bees wax and other sealants.

Black is the WORST dye for this - and even after being sealed always bleeds a little - I hate it for those reasons and try to take every effort to stop it. Skystorm is right in those regards (he usually is - given how many sheaths he has made.)

Thanks to you all for the feedback and if anyone else wants to chip in - PLEASE do so.

Jason

I like it undyed. After time that section gets a nice worn in look and I would hate for it to bleed on my beautiful knives! AND that is my sheath [emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside? No for me, but adding a rim 1/8" or so inside and getting the belt loop on the backside would be a plus.

I think he means a small black border at the apex of the undyed interior leather.

Jason, Im not sure the answers do produce an even split. This decision still doesn't seem so binary. If you're making a set of sheaths say for Fiddleback Outpost (congrats by the way), OK, you need to decide. But there's a choice. Why not decide based on what you see. For instance, my choice would be to do something about a leather that produced a "starkish" contrast, as with the example you posted at the top. Oil, or stain the loop and rim, and mebbe seal this latter. Theres a bit of homework there to decide which you like. Your standard browns yield a, (to my eye), quite nice contrast so leave alone. And/or if making for an individual, why not ask? Those one off orders, tend to be a bit of a collaboration, no?

Here's a pic of Pasi's sheath with the rim staining, I believe we're describing:

UfewwZu.jpg

And one of Joufuu's:

wNHMIAk.jpg

The Pasi sheath is a roll over design. He skives the end of the leather and glues and rolls it over before stitching the exterior of the sheath.

Thanks for the pics. That really helps.

Jason

I took your feedback to heart and talked to other makers. Paul Long mentioned something I had forgotten, that TanKote darkens rough side leather a little as it helps it lay the fibers down.

So - I will be doing that from now on.

Here is the result:

IMG_5437_zpsnrhm0gsz.jpg

Back:

IMG_5438_zpseff18mid.jpg

Jason

I took your feedback to heart and talked to other makers. Paul Long mentioned something I had forgotten, that TanKote darkens rough side leather a little as it helps it lay the fibers down.

So - I will be doing that from now on.

Here is the result:

Jason

100% better to me. I know it's being pretty picky considering the backside will be against the body anyways and the knife will be in the sheath more often than not so you wouldn't see either part that often. I just don't like the look unfinished and this little bit of darkening pulls it all together. I love the matching dangler as well. How does that attach with the belt loop being sewn over already?

100% better to me. I know it's being pretty picky considering the backside will be against the body anyways and the knife will be in the sheath more often than not so you wouldn't see either part that often. I just don't like the look unfinished and this little bit of darkening pulls it all together. I love the matching dangler as well. How does that attach with the belt loop being sewn over already?

Not to speak for him but I've got one of his sheaths and have checked out a lot more online. The dangler loop has a screwed on section in it and can be removed. For a detachable dangler I think it's genius- most people that use a removable dangler use a Chicago screw in the leather loop so the metal portion remains fixed to the sheath.

He is right DLT. It has a removable pin. I order them special and have adapted them to the purpose at hand.

Thanks for asking - and perfect answer Grog!

Jason

Back