IA bros, what are knife carry laws nowadays?

Hello, I will be spending a few weeks there shortly and am accustomed to carrying a fixed blde or two in FL most every day.

Will be in Polk and Dallas Counties.

I have FL CWL, fwiw. Thats a weapons license, not just for handgun, in FL.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello, I will be spending a few weeks there shortly and am accustomed to carrying a fixed blde or two in FL most every day.

Will be in Polk and Dallas Counties.

Thank you!
If you do search for "iowa" in the knife laws forum for the whole forum, you'll get quite a few hits. Also check out the KnifeRights and the AKTI websites (these might be the same thing, but I'm not sure).

Zieg

So sorry, did not occurt to me there would be a whole section here for knife laws. Going there now

So I found some info, that seemed to indicate that IAs carry permit is a weapons rather than a handgun permit, like in FL, can you all confirm?

It was an old thread on here, but from 2009

Looks like it is a weapons, not just a handgun permit, and you can still get them tho IA is no constitutional carry, tho it seems the permit less carry is only understood to be for firearms and not other weapons, which is gay, but whatever. Not sure if only firearms were specified in the permitless carry bill, or if it has to do w there only being state wide pre-emption regarding firearms but not weapons generally.

That being the case, it is not clear if even for one w a carry permit if concealing a dagger or whatever might be an enforceable offense per local ordnance.

It would take a lot of work to try and find all those ordnances of those towns. Between DSM and dallas county. Well, hopefully knkfe rights will keep making progress after the fashion of success in getting shall issue and then permitless carry of guns

It would take a lot of work to try and find all those ordnances of those towns.

It's moronic when you retire and want to travel a little. Even short day trips can pass you through several states, dozens of counties and expose you to plethora of differing rules and regulations concerning everything from a simple pocket knife to a multi tool and who knows what.

here are a couple of links to general info I'm not a lawyer so check and verify thing as best you can on you end.
link one easy to understand and seems to state the laws accurately https://knifeade.com/iowa-knife-law/
link two outlines and explains the laws stated on its page and is easy to follow https://www.akti.org/state-knife-laws/iowa/

what i normally carry is a simple folding knife 3 inch blade in the des moines area if your in the city a big fixed blade might draw unwanted attention
if your out in farm land fixed blade and most people would be used too it

if your on private property and have permission from the owner most states allow you to have whatever size knife on your belt that you want it only becomes a problem after going for a walk off private property,the private property I'm talking about is your own home/land

I’m in Des Moines. This is my carrry today

View attachment 2349085
Hi there that bottom one is lovely Terry M. Terry M. can you get bigger and thicker ones but the same quality ?
Sorry I don`t know anything about outside or hunting knives so I bought a big Chinese 13 ounce 4 inch folder but wanted a better quality finish and blade.
SHOOZIZ_HAN-318_-_FOUR.jpg
I got this :

Back