ID hatchet made in Germany

Here is a hatchet I picked up recently. It's a common size and shape. but the markings have me stumped, except for the one that says "GERMANY"!
The hatchet head is about 6 3/8: long an dthe bit is about 3 5/8" wide. The handle measures
about 14" long. The whole thing weighs just under 1 1/2 lbs.The head has the remains of olive drab paint, and the handle has been painted bright green.
The head is marked "SWO26/SPECFEB(?)--EC/GERMANY". The handle is marked "US BO 24".
Here are the pictures:
WFLvJDu.jpg

vDWAth1.jpg

6og7ZNJ.jpg

Note the care with which the handle has been shaped and wedged - That's a staple and a corrugated fastener used as wedges!
I would appreciate any information about this unusual hatchet.
Rick W

Here is a hatchet I picked up recently. It's a common size and shape. but the markings have me stumped, except for the one that says "GERMANY"!
The hatchet head is about 6 3/8: long an dthe bit is about 3 5/8" wide. The handle measures
about 14" long. The whole thing weighs just under 1 1/2 lbs.The head has the remains of olive drab paint, and the handle has been painted bright green.
The head is marked "SWO26/SPECFEB(?)--EC/GERMANY". The handle is marked "US BO 24".
Here are the pictures:
WFLvJDu.jpg

vDWAth1.jpg

6og7ZNJ.jpg

Note the care with which the handle has been shaped and wedged - That's a staple and a corrugated fastener used as wedges!
I would appreciate any information about this unusual hatchet.
Rick W

Rick, I am curious about the significance of those SPECFEDSPEC markings as well. I have one that gets used and it seems harder than the other W. Germany marked axes/hatchets I've owned:
780CAB83-0BAC-49FB-A359-77D270E6DFA1.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Now I know what the marking actually says, which helps. Hopefully, we'll find out!
Rick

Reactions: A17
It meets fed(eral) specifications perhaps? My only other thought is a german company called bison shows up when I look up your stamps. Maybe they made it?

Back