Idea for new Wave

I had an idea for a modification to the new Wave. I would work on the Charges as well. If you have access to the special torx bit you could remove the short bit holder next to the can opener and replace it with the much longer phillips screwdriver on the Kick. The Kick does does not have a lock but if you look at the screwdriver bit it has the notch on it just like the Fuse and Blast. Heres the good part, you could then buy the bit kit for the Blast, Fuse, and Kick. It uses the new bits and regular 1/4 inch bits according to the advertisements. The longer phillips and versitility of the bits. This is just an idea for anyone who is interested. If anyone tries this please post some feedback. Of course this goes without saying your warranty will be void. :eek: :eek:

I would like to try this except I'd like to do it on the Surge when it comes out. I probably want be able to wait until September though so I might end up trying it on the Wave. Where can you get the special torx bit?

want to ask, is there any difference bewteen "tamper proof" and "security" torks bits??? ie. the screws on the waves (both) are 5 sided..

I am working on an idea to get the elusive tamper-proof torx plus bit. If it works out I will share how to do this, without having to lie or create fake paperwork. The new surge looks to use this same pivot. Hope it can use the pocket clip.

The torx bits unsed in the leatherman wave are not the standard six sharp pointed "security torx" type with center post (these are the ones linked above). The ones used in the LM Wave (and Charge and new Wave etc.) have five rounded lobes with a center post and are designated Tamper-Resistant TORX PLUS® by Textron Manfacturing. Access to TR TORX PLUS bits is very (very) restricted (requiring official signatures/forms/proof of eligibility etc.)

Here's a reseller's page about the bits: http://www.lara.com/torx-plus-tr.htm . Textron Manufacturing has a page on the different torx plus variations including the tamper resistant ones here: http://www.textronfasteningsystems.com/products/torxplus/tpvariations.html#tr Here's another page from Wiha http://www.wihatools.com/716_IPR_serie.htm.

Don't mean to be too negative but I've monitored different sites and discussions and I never heard of anyone who has managed to get their hands on tamper resistant torx plus bits.

has anyone ever just been honest about it and said they have a knife and wanna get in it. The knife belongs to him and it doesnt belong to leatherman therefore he should be allowed in it. No one tried being honest??

NakedFarmer, I agree with you. It became my Leatherman Wave as soon as I paid for it, but, apparently, I'm not allowed to do anything to try repairing it except to send it back to Leatherman.

How many Schrade knives were returned to the factory for lifetime warranty repairs, but that their owners will never see again because Schrade went out of business...?

GeoThorn

Keep in mind that Leatherman has a 25 year warranty, so why not make LM take care of any and all repairs. Keep them accountable for the quaility of their work. That being said being without the tool bites.

On the surface the selection of TORX screws by LM seems very lame. And a restricted TORX bit? Please, thats just freaking crazy, I can buy another Glock with less hassel.

-Moose

I think that a lifetime warranty or a 25-year warranty for a purchase is terrific, but...there are three types of "Lifetime" warranties:
1.) Lasts the lifetime of the item;
2.) Lasts the lifetime of the original purchaser;
3.) Lasts the lifetime of the manufacturing company.
The lifetime warrantied knives that Schrade had on-site when they announced that they were closing their doors were apparently sold to the people at the "Going Out of Business" sale, not returned to the Schrade owner that had full faith that their knife would be returned.

Consequently, I generally have backups of the well-warrantied purchases I've made, so that if I ever have to send one back, perhaps never to return, I'll still have it's twin around to use, in the interim.

As to why Leatherman Tools uses restricted TORX bits, I haven't a clue, except that they don't want purchasers to repair them. The reason for that could be Leatherman's way of discovering the weaknesses in their tools. If no Leatherman Tool can possibly be damaged by a customer attempting to repair their own Leatherman Tool, then Leatherman Tools is necessarily receiving tools that were only damaged through actual use/misuse, rather than damaged during a clumsy repair.

Just my 2-cent deposit.
GeoThorn

geothorn said:
As to why Leatherman Tools uses restricted TORX bits, I haven't a clue, except that they don't want purchasers to repair them. The reason for that could be Leatherman's way of discovering the weaknesses in their tools. If no Leatherman Tool can possibly be damaged by a customer attempting to repair their own Leatherman Tool, then Leatherman Tools is necessarily receiving tools that were only damaged through actual use/misuse, rather than damaged during a clumsy repair.

Just my 2-cent deposit.
GeoThorn

They just don't want to deal with warranty issues for people messing them up on their own...

If you want one you can easily change the implements on, get a SOG Powerlock. Your warranty is still valid after dissasembly and they will sell you different implements if you want them...

klattman said:
If you want one you can easily change the implements on, get a SOG Powerlock. Your warranty is still valid after dissasembly and they will sell you different implements if you want them...

But where would the fun be in that :D

I was able to put the long phillips screwdriver from the Kick on the New Wave. I stopped by one of my local autoparts stores that can order S & K tools and gave them the part number for the special tamper-proof torx plus bit and in a few weeks they gota couple in from the distributer. The screwdriver fits in the same place as the bit holder. I took the bit holder and put it on the Kick. You have to remove the little tab that stands up next to the lock, no problem. The screwdriver stick above the handle ever so slightly but not enough to keep the tool from closing. If I get a digital camera I will post some pictures.

I was able to find securiy torx bits(normal torx bit with a hole in the middle) at my local autozone. It has a T-6 that I needed to get into piece of computer equitment. I am not sure if they would have any larger bits like the ones on the leatherman.

Back