Idea, Is This Possible?

I would like to use the blade from my Gerber EZ Out (the earlier ones, not the skeletonized ones) to make a ring. I don't know much about the metal, but the blade is stamped "GERBER 450". I assume the best way would be to melt it down and just make a mold of a ring, but I have no idea how to do this. I'll leave it to the pros. I'm not looking for a complicated ring; just a flat band with no designs, in my size (11.5).
Why a Gerber EZ Out blade? It has sentimental value to me and my wife-to-be. Is this possible? How much would it cost?

EDIT: I'd like a ring to be about 8.5mm wide. Kind of important to know the measurements first LOL.

unless you've done a lot of metalwork, I'd leave it up to a bladesmith to make it for you, and the price would probably be around $50-100 (I would expect) for a plain ring made from the steel from your knife. Maybe post in the knifemakers section asking there?

A jeweler can't melt steel and cast it into a ring the way he would gold or silver. (To start with, you can't melt it in an iron pot; the pot would melt ... and that's only the first of the difficulties....)

The blade could be annealed and then bent into a ring, or a piece of it could be mounted in a gold or silver ring. You might post on Shop Talk especially if you like the idea of bending it into a ring.

Back