Ideal Sword Design

Ah! Finally found the other thread I was looking for-

Simulation of blade properties

In many cases in these threads guys are making the assumption that the pivot point associated with the crossguard (or just behind- Cliff called this the "dynamic balance point") is at the same location as the harmonic node or COP. I gather this makes things much easier for calculations and such, but this is by no means absolute. The COP must always (obviously) be on the blade. The forward pivot point corresponding to the cross may well be off the end of the blade. I have such a sword.

Bors

All objects when excited sympathetically or by force will vibrate at a natural frequency or set of natural frequencies the lowest of which is the fundamental frequency. These frequencies are associated with a standing wave pattern. Standing waves are described as reflected waves from one end of the medium that interferes with the incident wave and establishes specific points (nodes) along the medium that have the appearance of standing still. These patterns are only created at specific frequencies and are known as “Harmonic Frequencies” or simply harmonics. Frequencies other than these result in irregular non-repeating wave patterns.

Holding a sword vertical and striking the pommel or handle, we establish a harmonic pattern in the blade. Within the pattern we see two interference points or “Nodes” one is located in the upper third portion of the blade the other is located near the guard. The one in the upper third is often call the “sweet spot” or more commonly the center of percussion (COP).

Can you post a pic of the blade?
You wouldn't by chance happen to have a video of you sword vibrating?

The reason I ask is I don't believe it can (or will favor such a pattern).

At the lowest frequency the quite zones will be precisely at each end. The sword/flat bar will have a continuos arc in it. This frequency is generally not favored but can be induced. This is the lowest frequency any bar, sword ect. will vibrate at.

The next frequency up will move the quite zones inward creating the COP and the lower zone at the handle. This typically is called the "fundamental frequency" or the lowest frequency the sword will "favor".

It was one of those Windlass/Factory X swords that were on closeout for $40 years ago. Couldn't resist at the price, and got what I paid for. :grumpy:
I don't actually have a picture of mine, but I found one online:
norm-434059fec2ae8-Dracula%2C+Bram+Stoker%27s+%281992%29.jpeg

I no longer have access to a digicam, so no video.

I don't remember where the COP is located off hand, but the dynamic balance point is off the end of the blade somewhere. It was actually much worse before I removed some weight from the pommel, but the problem is the mass distribution on the blade.

Don't believe it can what? Have different locations for the COP and Dynamic Balance Point? (forward pivot point corresponding to the guard) Have a forward pivot point off the tip of the blade?
You go on to talk about vibrations and frequencies, which are related to the COP... The pivot points don't deal with these concepts.

I haven't seen one of those swords in a long time.

It was one of those Windlass/Factory X swords that were on closeout for $40 years ago. Couldn't resist at the price, and got what I paid for.
I don't actually have a picture of mine, but I found one online:

I no longer have access to a digicam, so no video.

I don't remember where the COP is located off hand, but the dynamic balance point is off the end of the blade somewhere. It was actually much worse before I removed some weight from the pommel, but the problem is the mass distribution on the blade.

It may not be all in the blade. Those early windlass blades were notorious for short tangs and extending them by welding on a round rod. Add to that a poorly proportioned blade and a heavy pommel and you have a recipe for a good wall hanger LOL.

Don't believe it can what? Have different locations for the COP and Dynamic Balance Point?
(forward pivot point corresponding to the guard) Have a forward pivot point off the tip of the blade?

After mulling around the visualization, with a bit of work can force the lower node to the end (or very close ) to the end of the pommel thus torpedoing it’s handling characteristics.

You go on to talk about vibrations and frequencies, which are related to the COP... The pivot points don't deal with these concepts.

If you look back at the diagram in post 56 you will see that “pivot” points and nodes (quite zones) are one in the same. The upper pivot point corresponds to the “COP” (node) while the lower pivot point corresponds to the lower node.

From post #45

All objects when excited sympathetically or by force will vibrate at a natural frequency or set of natural frequencies the lowest of which is the fundamental frequency. These frequencies are associated with a standing wave pattern. Standing waves are described as reflected waves from one end of the medium that interferes with the incident wave and establishes specific points (nodes) along the medium that have the appearance of standing still. These patterns are only created at specific frequencies and are known as “Harmonic Frequencies” or simply harmonics. Frequencies other than these result in irregular non-repeating wave patterns.

With out vibration you will not have nodes and thus you will not have “pivot” points.

I haven't seen one of those swords in a long time.

It may not be all in the blade. Those early windlass blades were notorious for short tangs and extending them by welding on a round rod. Add to that a poorly proportioned blade and a heavy pommel and you have a recipe for a good wall hanger LOL.

Yeah. :) I had those concerns before I bought it, but there were literally pages of raving reviews about these things on swordforums at the time, so I thought it would be worth the chance.

If you look back at the diagram in post 56 you will see that “pivot” points and nodes (quite zones) are one in the same. The upper pivot point corresponds to the “COP” (node) while the lower pivot point corresponds to the lower node. ...With out vibration you will not have nodes and thus you will not have “pivot” points.

No. That is wrong. They can be one in the same, but certainly don't have to be. The pivot points (as I'm using the term) are a direct result of the moments of inertia, not vibrations. See George Turner's article I linked earlier.

Yeah. :) I had those concerns before I bought it, but there were literally pages of raving reviews about these things on swordforums at the time, so I thought it would be worth the chance.

No. That is wrong. They can be one in the same, but certainly don't have to be. The pivot points (as I'm using the term) are a direct result of the moments of inertia, not vibrations. See George Turner's article I linked earlier.

I will have to read this in more detail but what I said is not wrong.

I don’t entirely agree with George Turner’s article. The section about pivot points is interesting. I have not really given much thought to these. His explanation appears to be reasonable I will have to mull over this somemore.

I don’t think his section on “Impact Mechanics” is entirely correct.

When a sword impacts it sets into motion two separate but related actions. The first action is leverage force and second is vibrational force.

During impact the sword can be described as a simple lever with a fulcrum at each end. The hand where it contacts the hilt forms one fulcrum and the point of impact on the blade forms the other fulcrum. One example of this is a skate board, the axils are the fulcrums and the board is the lever.

Swinging the sword in a circular motion and impacting the blade say 10" below the tip, the sword will stop at contact with the fulcrum (lets say a round log). The part of the sword in front (the tip end) of the fulcrum will want to continue traveling along the same path. If the elastic properties of the metal are greater than the kinetic energy collected from motion the sword will either remain ridged or will flex on the fulcrum and then bounce back, if the elastic properties are not sufficient the sword will bend (take a set) around the fulcrum or break.

In the case of flexing the part of the sword in front of the fulcrum will continue traveling and flex over the fulcrum the rear portion of the sword will change direction and travel upward rendering a jolt to the hand. Where the impact point is and the amount of applied force on the sword determines how much force is generated and the direction of the force applied to the hand. In the case of the sword breaking the forces will be expended for the most part resulting in little or no felt jolt to the hand.

An impact point at or close to the tip of the sword will have an apposite effect, that is the part of the sword below the fulcrum will want to continue in the direction of travel resulting in a downward force, or the feeling of the sword trying to be pulled out of the hand.

The portion of the blade behind the fulcrum that is between the impact point and the hand may also have a tendency to flex, especially if the sword comes to a complete stop. Blade design such as wide blade or a narrow blade will affect how much the blade flexes and also makes it hard to see and feel this in action.

So to help see this we can rotate the blade 90 degrees and strike with the flat at a point a few inches from the point. You will notice the blade arc between the two fulcrums. If the blades edges are parallel and the mass distribution is uniform over it’s length as in early Viking and migration era swords this arc will be fairly uniform between the fulcrums.

If the blade has a taper and or a distal taper the arc will have a different shape. The blade will flex less in the thick portion near the guard and more the closer you get to the point as you would expect. The greater the force applied and the greater the distance between the fulcrums the greater the deflection will be. Skate boards react this way when you jump on the middle of the board. An impact of this nature will also set into motion harmonic vibrations in the blade. Since Generally the only time the flat of the blade undergoes this type of lateral stress is during hard blocks or glancing blows. The blade may vibrate wildly in the case of poorly dampened harmonics making the sword lively in the hand and difficult to recover.

An impact at the COP produces a neutral effect with little to no force in any direction transmitted to the hand.

This video is of an Albion Vinland sword destructive test. The anvil test demonstrates the above fulcrum principle. The barrel test is also very good. http://www.albion-swords.com/images/video/dstruct-5-31-05.avi

Harmonics have already been discussed however, here are a couple of pics I pulled from SFI awhile back that clearly show the affects of harmonics and why it’s important to dampen them. The swords being used are from Angus Trim however, I don’t know the exact models being used. Angus swords are generally considered very forgiving, some swords might very well have taken a set or worse yet broke.

Atrimcut.jpg

Atrim2.jpg

Atrim3.jpg

Harmonics can be managed through engineering however, fulcrum forces cannot. Fulcrum forces are the result of impact point, motion, kinetic energy and mass distribution. Every sword you pick up will handle differently. I refer to this as the “swords personality”. Learning to use and control a sword is an exercise in three dimensional geometry and guiding mass in motion.

Thanks for that video, Bors.

There is much I disagree with in your post as well. But I'm not trying to be a jerk & I don't have the time to go through it point by point right now. Since you did mention you wanted to mull over the pivot points idea yet, I've got a suggestion. Instead of just thinking about it, pick up a stick and start whacking stuff in different locations as described in that article. Hopefully then it will be easier to understand, and you'll recognize a few misunderstandings in what you've written above.

Cheers.

-the possum

I would pick the Roman Gladious. Typically martial warfare is close range, after exhausting your long range weaponry weather it be javelin, flintlock, or modern riffle. The Gladious is short, double edged, and sturdy. As well during the times when swords were commonly in use you did not have much room to move around.

Fig 2 (http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/GTA/motions_and_impacts.htm) is accurate as far as the motion is concerned however, That pivot point is not really relevant (at least to me) when the end opposite the impact is held as in the case of it actually being swung.
The loading will be at two points the point of impact and the point being held both of which are fulcrums. The loading of the hand will follow the model in Fig 2 in that the stick/sword will want to pull it’s self out of your hand.

During a tip impact the more flexible the object being swung the more pronounced
the loading to the hand will be for two reasons one pretty much the entire mass of the staff will want to pendulum around the point of impact, two because the end opposite the impact is anchored to the hand and the staff will flex creating an arch between the two fulcrums which of coarse are the point of impact and your hand. In stiff objects such as broad swords there is no flexing.

In part 2 of pic two where the impact point is 1/3 down the shaft the same as above will hold true but only between the COP and the point. As the point of impact approaches the COM (Center of Mass) the loading on the hand reverses to the stick being forced into the hand.

All of this assumes that the point of impact is small rigid and of coarse isn’t moving, in the case of combat and tip striking a breast plate the sword most likely will glance. The energy transmitted to the hand of an impact say at blade center or near the COP will be spread out over a greater part of the blade, absorbed buy metal movement and the movement of the opponent.

There are three points on the sword I feel are important.

The COP (Center of Percussion)
The COM (Center Of Mass)
The quite zone near the guard.

Of these three the Center of mass is the most important for the placement of it along with harmonic dampening defines the swords personality.

There is much I disagree with in your post as well. But I'm not trying to be a jerk & I don't have the time to go through it point by point right now. Since you did mention you wanted to mull over the pivot points idea yet, I've got a suggestion. Instead of just thinking about it, pick up a stick and start whacking stuff in different locations as described in that article. Hopefully then it will be easier to understand, and you'll recognize a few misunderstandings in what you've written above.

Cheers.

-the possum

It’s fine to disagree however the other comments are not conducive to a productive and hopefully educational thread.

alexanderkbaker,

I agree that a Roman gladius would be a good choice however it may not be a good choice for everyone. I have one on my list probably from Albion. Swords are like people and each one has it’s own personality. Hand a given sword to five (untrained) different people and each one will react differently. The Ideal sword is the one matched to the personality of it’s user however, as a swordsman it is best to learn how to manage the personality of a wide variety of swords.

Here is a quote from Kormak's Saga written around 1250–1300 A.D
Skeggi understood the personality of swords.
From the time period and Skeggi's statement (in bold) you can get a pretty good idea of skofnungs design.

After this Cormac and his men went home. When he told his mother how things had gone, "Little good," she said, "will thy luck do us. Ye have slighted a fine offer, and you have no chance against Bersi, for he is a great fighter and he has good weapons."
Now, Bersi owned the sword they call Whitting; a sharp sword it was, with a life-stone to it; and that sword he had carried in many a fray.
"Whether wilt thou have weapons to meet Whitting?" she asked. Cormac said he would have an axe both great and keen.
Dalla said he should see Skeggi of Midfiord and ask for the loan of his sword, Skofnung. So Cormac went to Reykir and told Skeggi how matters stood, asking him to lend Skofnung. Skeggi said he had no mind to lend it. Skofnung and Cormac, said he, would never agree: "It is cold and slow, and thou art hot and hasty."
Cormac rode away and liked it ill. He came home to Mel and told his mother that Skeggi would not lend the sword. Now Skeggi had the oversight of Dalla's affairs, and they were great friends; so she said, "He will lend the sword, though not all at once."
That was not what he wanted, answered Cormac, - "If he withhold it not from thee, while he does withhold it from me." Upon which she answered that he was a thwart lad.
A few days afterwards Dalla told him to go to Reykir. "He will lend thee the sword now," said she. So he sought Skeggi and asked for Skofnung.
"Hard wilt thou find it to handle," said Skeggi. "There is a pouch to it, and that thou shalt let be. Sun must not shine on the pommel of the hilt. Thou shalt not wear it until fighting is forward, and when ye come to the field, sit all alone and then draw it. Hold the edge toward thee, and blow on it. Then will a little worm creep from under the hilt. Then slope thou the sword over, and make it easy for that worm to creep back beneath the hilt."
"Here's a tale of tricks, thou warlock!" cried Cormac
"Nevertheless," answered Skeggi, "it will stand thee in good stead to know them."
So Cormac rode home and told his mother, saying that her will was of great avail with Skeggi. He showed the sword, and tried to draw it, but it would not leave the sheath.
"Thou are over wilful, my son," said she.
Then he set his feet against the hilts, and pulled until he tore the pouch off, at which Skofnung creaked and groaned, but never came out of the scabbard.
Well, the time wore on, and the day came. He rode away with fifteen men; Bersi also rode to the holm with as many. Cormac came there first, and told Thorgils that he would sit apart by himself. So he sat down and ungirt the sword.
Now, he never heeded whether the sun shone upon the hilt, for he had girt the sword on him outside his clothes. And when he tried to draw it he could not, until he set his feet upon the hilts. Then the little worm came, and was not rightly done by; and so the sword came groaning and creaking out of the scabbard, and the good luck of it was gone.

I also favor Bowie knives some of which are really nothing more than short swords. I have a Randall model 12 Smithsonian 11" blade and it tips the scales at 34oz. My Chen Damascus welded Viking sword weighed 33 oz. So a knife like the Randall would be a good choice for some. On a side note the Spartans for a period used a short sword with a blade ~ 11-14" long.

It’s fine to disagree however the other comments are not conducive to a productive and hopefully educational thread.

Then allow me to extend an apology for my gruff postings earlier. I'm learning some things here too, and though I think I have a bit of understanding on these things, I hope I'm not coming across like a pretentious self-appointed authority.

Now then-

During impact the sword can be described as a simple lever with a fulcrum at each end. The hand where it contacts the hilt forms one fulcrum and the point of impact on the blade forms the other fulcrum.

The pivot points are the fulcrums. On a decently made sword, this would coincide with the grip; on others, it may not.

In the case of flexing the part of the sword in front of the fulcrum will continue traveling and flex over the fulcrum the rear portion of the sword will change direction and travel upward rendering a jolt to the hand.... An impact point at or close to the tip of the sword will have an apposite effect, that is the part of the sword below the fulcrum will want to continue in the direction of travel resulting in a downward force, or the feeling of the sword trying to be pulled out of the hand.

The sword would only be rotating upwards behind the rear pivot point. (hence the term, "pivot point") With many impacts, especially nearing the middle portion of the blade, the rear pivot point may be at the pommel (behind the hand/grip) or even off in space behind it. Thus the hand would not be jolted upward. At least in terms of jolting the hand, a sword with good dynamic balance would not do any significant jolting since all the pivot points corresponding to the most used portion of the blade would lie within the grip.

An impact at the COP produces a neutral effect with little to no force in any direction transmitted to the hand.

I should think on most swords (but have not verified) that the pivot points corresponding to the COP should lie somewhere within the grip. So this may happen to be true, but not because of vibrations associated with the COP. With good dynamic balance, an impact anywhere on the end half of the blade should be roughly neutral in terms of rotational forces/jolts to the hand.

here are a couple of pics I pulled from SFI awhile back that clearly show the affects of harmonics and why it’s important to dampen them.

I think those pictures do a better job of illustrating that the sword will flex at wherever the impact occurs. Do you really think the sword in that first picture would flex into exactly that same shape if he struck the tatami with the tip of the blade, or behind the COM?

Harmonics can be managed through engineering however, fulcrum forces cannot. Fulcrum forces are the result of impact point, motion, kinetic energy and mass distribution.

:confused:
Fulcrum forces can indeed be managed through engineering, and I have done so several times on my own blades. I manipulate the mass distribution for the best compromise of speed & maneuverability, cutting power- at different locations along the edge, etc.

Fig 2 (http://www.thearma.org/spotlight/GTA...nd_impacts.htm) is accurate as far as the motion is concerned however, That pivot point is not really relevant (at least to me) when the end opposite the impact is held as in the case of it actually being swung.
The loading will be at two points the point of impact and the point being held both of which are fulcrums.

Again, the fulcrum is not determined by the hand, but by the pivot points. In this illustration, he's using a simple untapered staff as a base example. On a sword, all the pivot points should lie somwhere within the grip for the most used impact points. That's why it's relevant.

There are three points on the sword I feel are important.

The COP (Center of Percussion)
The COM (Center Of Mass)
The quite zone near the guard.

Of these three, the Center of mass is the most important; for the placement of it along with harmonic dampening defines the swords personality.

The COM influences linear motion, but the moments of inertia are what determine rotational motion. The two interacting and influencing each other during a swing & impact are what determines the sword's "personality". The pivot points are a direct result of the moments of inertia, and are easy to observe, so I personally think they're much more important than the COP. But I'm open to changing my opinion if I get a sword where I can actually see the COP making a significant difference. The things I pay attention to regarding sword performance are-

Total Weight/mass
At least one set of pivot points
Center of mass

If you have two sets of pivot points, you can determine the center of mass with some simple math & fractions, so again, the pivot points can tell you a lot about the sword other numbers cannot. I generally find it easiest to work with the set of pivot points that correspond the front of the grip, at or just behind the crossguard. Cliff called this the "dynamic balance point". I really like that description.

Then allow me to extend an apology for my gruff postings earlier. I'm learning some things here too, and though I think I have a bit of understanding on these things, I hope I'm not coming across like a pretentious self-appointed authority.

No worries I hope I’m not coming across that way either. I haven’t given much thought to the other rotational points so I’m picking up a few things also.

The pivot points are the fulcrums. On a decently made sword, this would coincide with the grip; on others, it may not.

The pivot points are not fulcrums in the strict sense.

A fulcrum is a fixed point on which the lever rotates around. So any place that you grab or any point which is struck becomes a fulcrum. The tip upon impact will stop (for the sake of argument). The point of impact is now a fulcrum a point where the sword or lever will rotate around.

Since the sword was traveling in a forward direction that which is below the tip will pendulum around the fulcrum (point of impact). The only thing that will prevent this from happening is the gripping point (second fulcrum). The amount of force felt to the hand will depend on the position of the hand in relation to the point of impact , the mass distribution and impact force and if I understand you the placement of the lower pivot points. The felt force is less with a sword than with a stick.

The sword would only be rotating upwards behind the rear pivot point. (hence the term, pivot point ) With many impacts, especially nearing the middle portion of the blade, the rear pivot point may be at the pommel (behind the hand/grip) or even off in space behind it. Thus the hand would not be jolted upward. At least in terms of jolting the hand, a sword with good dynamic balance would not do any significant jolting since all the pivot points corresponding to the most used portion of the blade would lie within the grip.

I can see how the jolt could be reduced for impacts closer to the tip however as the impact approaches blade center or moves closer to the hand for that matter the jolt (upward force) will intensify because of the increased mass above the fulcrum/impact point.

I should think on most swords (but have not verified) that the pivot points corresponding to the COP should lie somewhere within the grip. So this may happen to be true, but not because of vibrations associated with the COP. With good dynamic balance, an impact anywhere on the end half of the blade should be roughly neutral in terms of rotational forces/jolts to the hand.

You’d think but that’s not always the case. I have handled, owned and used swords with handle nodes out in front of the guard. Not all swords are created equally because not all makers understand them. While in appearance they appear to be simple they’re actually quite complex both to make and use.

I think those pictures do a better job of illustrating that the sword will flex at wherever the impact occurs. Do you really think the sword in that first picture would flex into exactly that same shape if he struck the tatami with the tip of the blade, or behind the COM?

The flexing you see are harmonics, the result of an off edge axis impact (or the target moving during impact) creating lateral forces on the blade. So if the tip impacted with an off angular impact I would expect to see some wave form in the blade as well. The frequency and amplitude would depend on impact force. Thin long blades would be more prone to this excitement however, how forgiving the sword is depends on how well it’s made.

Off edge axis impacts while cutting hard targets can snap blades because the lateral forces are concentrated at a small point. Think of when you drive the point of a knife into a piece of wood then apply lateral pressure on the blade, the result is usually a broken tip.

Fulcrum forces can indeed be managed through engineering, and I have done so several times on my own blades. I manipulate the mass distribution for the best compromise of speed & maneuverability, cutting power- at different locations along the edge, etc.

:eek: Yep you are correct didn’t think that one completely through....LOL

Again, the fulcrum is not determined by the hand, but by the pivot points. In this illustration, he's using a simple untapered staff as a base example. On a sword, all the pivot points should lie somwhere within the grip for the most used impact points. That's why it's relevant.
See above reply on fulcrums.

The COM influences linear motion, but the moments of inertia are what determine rotational motion. The two interacting and influencing each other during a swing & impact are what determines the sword's personality . The pivot points are a direct result of the moments of inertia, and are easy to observe, so I personally think they're much more important than the COP. But I'm open to changing my opinion if I get a sword where I can actually see the COP making a significant difference. The things I pay attention to regarding sword performance are-

Total Weight/mass
At least one set of pivot points
Center of mass

If you have two sets of pivot points, you can determine the center of mass with some simple math & fractions, so again, the pivot points can tell you a lot about the sword other numbers cannot. I generally find it easiest to work with the set of pivot points that correspond the front of the grip, at or just behind the crossguard. Cliff called this the dynamic balance point . I really like that description.

Here is a nice diagram from Albion.
http://www.albion-swords.com/articles/images/sword-dynamics.pdf

Now to me the COM is the point of balance point to pommel. Are you placing the COM elsewhere?

In my ideal sword, I want what the original Damascus steel had and the ripoffs lack: carbon nanotubes in the blade. Hell, forget the steel and just make the blade itself out of carbon nanotubes and I'll have the hardest, strongest blade on earth. I wouldn't pass up original Damascus material, though. Good stuff.

As for the shape itself, a nice bastard sword with a long blade or an o-katana would be ideal.

As for the shape itself, a nice bastard sword with a long blade or an o-katana would be ideal.

I prefer odachis to o-katanas. Most o-katanas are too big for me anyways, so I figure might as well use a weapon made with that handicap already in mind.

The greatest odachis I've ever seen have been historical pieces, especially this 32 pounder:

norimitsu_odachi.jpg

Check out Norimitsu. Crazy one, that.

I'm a bit tall, so the standard katana isn't quite long enough for me, but I don't want to go into odachi country altogether. 38-44 inches in the blade is fine with me, though I won't deny wanting to try an odachi out.

Consider for a moment the question posed in the title of this thread.

Define the purpose of the sword.

Design the tool around the purpose.

Modify to suit the individual using the tool(ideal being subjective)

Build with the best techno available.

Just a suggestion.

A fulcrum is a fixed point on which the lever rotates around. So any place that you grab or any point which is struck becomes a fulcrum.
Since the sword was traveling in a forward direction that which is below the tip will pendulum around the fulcrum (point of impact). The only thing that will prevent this from happening is the gripping point (second fulcrum).

I think I can see what you're getting at here, in that the hand constrains the sword's motion in a strict sense, but my point is that the sword has its own natural "fulcrums" (i.e., the pivot points) that it would rotate around even if it was not being held. Like if it was flying through space and collided with a random object at the tip. If the sword automatically pivoted/rotated around wherever you happen to grip it, then shock wouldn't be much of an issue in the first place.

While in appearance they appear to be simple they’re actually quite complex both to make and use.

:) Tell me about it. I'm making a blunt training longsword right now that I want to handle like a real one. Though the principles are the same as the short swords I've made, the length makes things much more interesting. I started studying the Liechtenauer tradition of German Longsword last summer, with a group & teacher in Saint Louis, and am still nothing but a rank beginner.

The flexing you see are harmonics, the result of an off edge axis impact (or the target moving during impact) creating lateral forces on the blade. So if the tip impacted with an off angular impact I would expect to see some wave form in the blade as well.

Not sure how to put my thoughts into words here; I think this would be easier to hash out in person. It's not really that important anyway since I think we're more or less on the same page with this one, and just talking past each other.

Now to me the COM is the point of balance point to pommel. Are you placing the COM elsewhere?

No. I'm using the same standard accepted definition, so far as I know. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but since the moments of inertia tell you how mass is distributed, you can use them to find the average point of that mass distribution- the CoM- rather easily. Even for someone like me who doesn't really like math all that much. :) Of course if you have the sword in hand, it's even easier to just balance it across your finger, but my point was the pivot points can give you this information and much more.

Possum, I think we are both in the same book if not on the same page.

I would be good to get together some time and chat.

Bors

I would say that there is no "ideal" sword for me, though I've always had a fondness for the lighter-weight longswords designed for unarmored targets. In the realm of true single-handers I have a soft spot for katzbalgers, schiavonas, and especially European sabers. All made for different purposes, but they excel in each of their respective areas. ;-)

I am amazed this many people have kept this thread going this long. I originally posted just because I was bored...but then all of you got very involved. I love all the insight you all provide.

Back