Ideas For Using Shell Casing In Knife Build

help me out with some ideas for using some .303 shell casings in a few knife builds.

The spent rifle brass are left from the honor guard 21 gun salute at my fathers funeral. I am thinking of a basic loveless style basic knife for me and my brothers. It will be a working knife but with a little more elegance than usual. High polish on blade and scales.

Ideas?

my first thought would be to inset the base of the casing into the handle - this picture shows the idea

A19-TW540.jpg

What a great way to commemorate a loved one!

Ideas:
1. Use the base of the casing (as noted before) but as a pivot rivet. Knock the primer out and put the pivot pin through it (similar idea to GEC bull nose)

2. Use the necked part of the case as a lanyard tube (still pretty big at 30 caliber - perhaps you could swage it down?)

3. Straighten/flatten out a casing, cut out a nice shape and inlay it into some handle material as a shield with an engraving commemorating your dad

You could inlay the case with a milled section of the tang fitted up into the case and into the handle, with the sides showing the casing surrounded by the scales, (possibly set in a clear resin if you are using micarta or G10), and have the primer end showing out the end of the butt or pommel.

Back