Identifing a Sword?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was at th local gun show last weekend I saw what looked like a Tachi Katana except that the handle curved the opposite direction of the blade. I had always wanted to get one of these but I had spent my money on my balisongs. I was wonering if anyone can help to tell me what kind of sword this is and where might find one?

A tachi katana? By this are you simply identifying a single-edged curved sword?

Various dao have handles that curve "edgward," could this be what you're thinking of?

Shinryû.

Nuts! I was hoping that you knew the answer to that one Robert, I certainly did not. I wonder if it was just some poor sword that someone put the handle on backward or something?

Well, Howard Clark did something similar with the handle on his oosic-handled kat, and that wasn't a very poor sword.

Shinryû.

Yes, that is probably a better way to put it. The handle curved edgeward. If I cant find it on the net I'll just wait for the next show. With the handle like that it felt easier to swing with it IMHO.

Yeah, I saw that thing. Without denigrating Mr. Clark's workmanship which is absolutely outstanding I have to say that that particular piece was the ugliest thing of his that I have ever seen. (In my opinion) Did you like it?

Actually that piece I liked a fair amount because I got to hold it as well as see it. If I look back on it though, it is a little too odd for me, even though it would work quite well for swordsmanship. I liked the way the oosic itself looked, and it went very well with the blue saya, but I think maybe it would look better in a non-sword application.

I guess if I want a sword that has an edgward-curved handle, I'd probably go for a dao of some sort. Right now I'm trying to start learning Mandarin Chinese (by the way, if anyone has some good advice or sources for learning materials, suggestions are most welcome) so I'm picking up a little bit of a taste for the swords.

Shinryû.

Don't know how far Perham is from Beloit Wisconsin, but I do know that Beloit College runs intensive summer language courses for businessmen during the summer. They cram about a semester's worth of instruction into about 4-6 weeks and I believe Chinese is offered. A friend of mine just returned from China and gave their language program good reviews. May be worth your while to call them. Having been through their Spanish program I can vouch for the quality of their professors.
Lagarto

Hehe...I'm on the opposite side of Minnesota from the Wisconsin border, but thanks for the suggestion! And sorry to skip away from the topic folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back