Photos Identify the Makers of these Two Japanese Swords ?

Can a member please identify the makers of these two Japanese blades ? I call them #61 and #69
Both found on a WW2 setting. Also please Estimate how old each is ?

I received a reply from another web site.

#61 is Taira Masamori (possibly 1532 - 1555)
#69 is sako keneshige (WW2 hand forged)

Last edited:
I received a reply from another web site.

#61 is Taira Masamori (possibly 1532 - 1555)
#69 is sak keneshige (WW2 hand forges)
#61 平政守 TAIRA NO MASAMORI ー
♯69 酒向 兼茂 SAKOU KANESHIGE

Mei example:
WaoEjc.jpg

Last edited:
I googled Taira No Masamori but he was 1100's ; That seems too unlikely .
Are you certain.

Ⅰ would be cautious about #61. I am no expert but I can not find a single reference to Taira no Masamori swords on Japanese sites.
The exception would be a Japanese auction site that shows a Gunto signed Taira no Masamori but with different kanji- 平正守.
The only sites that reference a 平政守 katana are sites in Europe. I also see that the Nihonto Board doesn't seem to have any real info
on this mei.

Last edited:
So could the real translation be Taira Masamori and not Taira No Masamori ?

The Tiara Masamori is most likely gimei or perhaps an obscure, unrecorded smith. A quick look did not reveal any Tiara smiths using the combination of characters seen on your sword.

The Sakai Kaneshige is a Showa era Gunto smith from Gifu. Real name Sakai Katsutoshi.

I have searched the internet and found a couple other Japanese swords with the Taira Masamori name on an old blade. To me, that seems more likely an unrecorded maker .

I have searched the internet and found a couple other Japanese swords with the Taira Masamori name on an old blade. To me, that seems more likely an unrecorded maker .
Could you give us those links?
Right now I'm leaning toward gimei.

(need to click "see more for Taira Masamori )

Last edited:
There were numerous smiths using the Masamori name. There are numerous kanji for the names Masa and Mori. There only a few Taira (Bungo) smiths using this name. The only referenced Taira Masamori smiths used characters different from the ones seen on your sword. While no one can say with 100% certainty a smith signing this way did not exist, IMHO I think the highest probability for this mei is gimei (99%). There is a Shinsa coming up in April in Chicago. If you want a better opinion, you should submit it there.

Last edited:

(need to click "see more for Taira Masamori )
First URL: The Wakizashi on Nihonto Board has the same mei as your #61, Does not make either sword "authentic".

Second URL: See my post #7 above,
The gunto is signed 平正守.
Not 平政守 as in your sword #61.
Both are read Taira no Masamori but obviously not the same.
I still believe #61 is a gimei sword.

Yes, the Masamori in question and the one in the picclick link are clearly by two different makers.

Back