Idler Wheel Repair or Replace

My 20 year old idler/tracking wheel on my Wilton Square Wheel Grinder is starting to squeal. I have never removed it. It spins freely and quietly by hand. I attempted to replace bearing in a small wheel on the flat platen and failed in the past. Wound up buying a new one. Any advise on the bearings. Could they just be greased? The outer wheel is I good shape and tracks well. Quick search on replacement looks pricey. If I was going to replace I would consider a larger diameter if feasible for better belt tension. I have a smaller drive wheel and my scotchbrite belts can be loose. I upgraded to variable speed last year, any advantage or disadvantages to putting the original larger drive wheel back on?

If your grinder is single speed I'd keep the smaller drive wheel.
There are tricks that can be used to get bearings out. Look up videos about using wet toilet paper or bread to remove bearings. It works amazingly well.
With a wheel you might have to c-clamp the wheel to a smooth, flat, sturdy surface like a 4"x4"x 1/2" thick piece of steel.

You can usually drive the opposite side bearing out with a punch, inserted from the side closest to you. That, or just get a blind bearing puller.

A little heat around the outside of the wheel might be helpful, as well as spraying it with a little penetrating oil before hand.

Just make sure you clean the penetrating oil off before you press the new bearings in.

There are tricks that can be used to get bearings out. Look up videos about using wet toilet paper or bread to remove bearings. It works amazingly well

Well I'll be - never heard of bread (or TP). I watched a video using bread and it does work like a champ! Thanks for the idea.

The bearings may be loctited in, give them a little torch or oven heat. Press out with a socket in a press or bench vise.

You can usually drive the opposite side bearing out with a punch, inserted from the side closest to you. That, or just get a blind bearing puller.

A little heat around the outside of the wheel might be helpful, as well as spraying it with a little penetrating oil before hand.

Just make sure you clean the penetrating oil off before you press the new bearings in.
You can make one for minute from bolt with same Dia. as inner race of bearing,just cut head of bolt ........but need access from both side.I should try tomorrow same on blind hole with small chisel grind piece of steel inserted first in bearing ....:)
11wDrSy.png

Edited .......I add new drawing , to make it clearer how it works

Last edited:
That makes sense. Very helpful. Just to confirm does it push out from side that is flush or recessed. Toward or away from grinder when mounted?

That makes sense. Very helpful. Just to confirm does it push out from side that is flush or recessed. Toward or away from grinder when mounted?

If you have the wheel off of the machine, the bearings each (typically) pull out away from their respective wheel faces.

I found this video that shows a guy removing bearings from a 2x42 grinder idler. Should be similar for yours.
Note: I probably wouldn't personally remove and install them exactly like the guy in the vid, but it seemed to work for him... ;)

Back