If Queen/Schatt & Morgan don't bounce back, becoming defunct...

If Queen/Schatt & Morgan don't bounce back, becoming defunct... What happens?

Well, obviously, no way to know that answer. That said, there are some possible scenerios of which could be likely.
I believe most of us would not want them being totally gone as a US made product.
One possible scenerio would be them coming back in some way, and still under the Daniels family control.
Another could be the Daniels family selling to another American operation, letting someone else give the name brand(s) a wack at succeeding. In that scenerio, my hope would be that GEC would somehow be able to take the brand(s) under their wing (keeping them US made and of high quality).
Then there is the chance the brand simply gets sold off to a firm that will then have them made overseas (which will realistically mean that the brand(s) would be dead to most true collectors of the US Queen product).
Now, whether they go totally under and disappear, or get bought by a firm that will have them made overseas, the collector value of ALL SPECIMENS made by the true Titusville factory, will rise in collector value. Even the last ones made by the Daniels family run Queen Company since 2012 or so, will be representative of a bygone era.
Seeing Camillus, Schrade, Bulldog (which were last made in USA before being sent to Asia manufacturing), and it seems like countless other former US made products, being made in overseas plants, is something I really hope does not happen to the Queen brand(s). Truth is, if Queen can no longer be US made, I hope that their heritage dies right here in the country where they were founded. Maybe I am just too sentimental about the awesome heritage they've had, but I sure would not like to see Queen labled products being sold at the local big box store, in clamshell packaging, and marked as being made anywhere other than the USA.
So, we do not have crystal balls to foretell the future of Queen, but I do think we know that there are very few ways for this to all turn out. Some scenarios seem so much better than others.
Them dying off, IMO, is an awful thing.
Them only surviving as a foreign made product, IMO, would even be worse.
May Queen survive

Last edited:
GEC or Case could buy the brand, and revive them. That's one way they stay US made. The brand name may be the few things of value here anyway.

If the Brand is purchased by GEC or Case (something I find unlikely) then the chances are that the Titusville facility will close anyway.
Both GEC and Case would take the manufacturing in house with only the name being left. Still made in the USA but no longer in the Titusville production facility.

field of dreams at the moment. perhaps the folks who got together for Canal Street would like to try again

From what I can tell online, with the exception of here, they are restructuring and coming back. Seems like most of the bladeforums posts have already sent Queen out to pasture.

My bladeforums (Queen is dead response) Spyderco should buy them. If Spyderco buys Queen maybe we will see a Super Blue Mountain Man with spydie holes! ;)

Field of Dreams. - I’m with Mrknife....

Look at what put Queen Cultery/Schatt&Morgan in this spot....lack of interested customers to purchase their knives and what could of caused this
1. Lack of appealing patterns or new patterns
2. Many years over concerns with poor QC coupled with F&F issues
3. Premium pricing
4. After marketing pricing
Forget it with DFC branded Queen/Schatt&Morgan since it’s not there even with creating limited numbers...unfortunately this trickles down to pre-DFC when previously values would remain high particularly with limited numbers being produced ( these comments done pertain to 1970 and earlier)

Tuna Valley also part of DFC I don’t follow though coming in at a higher premium then the rest can’t be fairing well considering the same cutliers.....ooops my mistake...only their skilled craftsmen are involved with this line...

Now will return after restructuring and announce all is behind them.....

What has changed...
Same management...
Where do seasoned cutliers come from...

Just because you enjoy a hobby it doesn’t lend itself to manufacturing....it needs a practitioner

Pops can go back to doing what he does best with his other company or create something new that’s closer to his skill set, and the kids can continue with their gig on the Big Auction site.

Field of Dreams. - I’m with Mrknife....

Look at what put Queen Cultery/Schatt&Morgan in this spot....lack of interested customers to purchase their knives and what could of caused this
1. Lack of appealing patterns or new patterns
2. Many years over concerns with poor QC coupled with F&F issues
3. Premium pricing
4. After marketing pricing
Forget it with DFC branded Queen/Schatt&Morgan since it’s not there even with creating limited numbers...unfortunately this trickles down to pre-DFC when previously values would remain high particularly with limited numbers being produced ( these comments done pertain to 1970 and earlier)

Tuna Valley also part of DFC I don’t follow though coming in at a higher premium then the rest can’t be fairing well considering the same cutliers.....ooops my mistake...only their skilled craftsmen are involved with this line...

Now will return after restructuring and announce all is behind them.....

What has changed...
Same management...
Where do seasoned cutliers come from...

Just because you enjoy a hobby it doesn’t lend itself to manufacturing....it needs a practitioner

Pops can go back to doing what he does best with his other company or create something new that’s closer to his skill set, and the kids can continue with their gig on the Big Auction site.

There are other reasons besides the 4 you listed. Management is not the same. They fired the President of the company in the spring of 2017, who had been with Queen for over 35 years. Go to a knife show and talk to the Daniels if you want to know the whole story, instead of speculating.

Imo, why would there be a sort of a WOW factor if GEC wound up with Queen/S&M?...
Well, we know that former employees of Schatt & Morgan went on to start up the Queen firm. And that later, the Queen firm then bought the bankrupt Schatt & Morgan operation, even Queen moving into the S&M facility.
Fast forward to more modern day, and we know that a former employee of Queen was one of the men that started up the GEC firm. That man is the current sole owner of GEC.
Now just imagine how this history would almost play out again... The owner of GEC (a former Queen employee) buying Queen/Schatt & Morgan.

Schatt & Morgan leading to Queen
Queen buying Schatt & Morgan
Queen/Schatt & Morgan leading to GEC
GEC buying Queen/Schatt & Morgan

WOW!

PS. The icing on the cake would be GEC not only buying those two famous names, but, just like Queen had done so many decades before, GEC moving their operations into the original Schatt & Mogan facility... Keeping the tradition alive, and a historic building doing what it always has done, housing American made traditional knife production.

Last edited:
You and I are definitely on the same page.

Just this Saturday I had a bit of a mournful moment when I saw Western knives at the local Walmart.
They were some poor looking modern folders, as well as a couple traditional fixed blades with faux stag.
The fixed blades weren't bad looking design wise, but to see MADE IN CHINA on a western knife is as sad as it was when I first saw it on CRESCENT and CRAFTSMAN tools.

I've never had a Queen knife but I wanted one and I sure hope they can stay in America so I can eventually own one if they can ever resume operations.

I feel that even though Queen had QC issues , just having them around held GEC to a higher standard or a continuing standard. With Queen currently gone who is there to compare your quality standard against?? Case I suppose? Seems like a different price range for the most part though.
I don't know , maybe just babble on my part.

Burnt Stag

Last edited:
It's sad for many reasons. I had recently begun to think that Queen was on a roll because they started putting out all kinds of unique stuff.

Canoes with sheepsfoot blades, Railsplitters with Wharncliffe blades, Lightning Strike Wood handles, etc. They had some really decent ideas. Heck, even the Time Machine knives were different enough that they deserved an A for effort.

Whether these unique designs were my cup of tea or not, I saw it as a step in the right direction. It wasn't just the same old stuff.

I'm not going anywhere with this. Just typing out loud.

Imo, why would there be a sort of a WOW factor if GEC wound up with Queen/S&M?...
Well, we know that former employees of Schatt & Morgan went on to start up the Queen firm. And that later, the Queen firm then bought the bankrupt Schatt & Morgan operation, even Queen moving into the S&M facility.
Fast forward to more modern day, and we know that a former employee of Queen was one of the men that started up the GEC firm. That man is the current sole owner of GEC.
Now just imagine how this history would almost play out again... The owner of GEC (a former Queen employee) buying Queen/Schatt & Morgan.

WOW!

PS. The icing on the cake would be GEC not only buying those two famous names, but, just like Queen had done so many decades before, GEC moving their operations into the original Schatt & Mogan facility... Keeping the tradition alive, and a historic building doing what it always has done, housing American made traditional knife production.

Well put. WOW :thumbsup:

WOW!

I don't know how I missed this post but that is awesome!

If they do come back, and I hope they do, I hope they concentrate on the affordable blue collar user market, again, like in their hey day, not the high end collector market.
Give Case and Utica some competition.

Back