If you could swap a layer…

Gold Member
I’ve been thinking about this for awhile, especially after I had Travis, Spikediesel Spikediesel , do a scissors delete on an Explorer to make me a Passenger. If you could take a currently made SAK and swap 1, and only 1, layer, what would you do? I really like a saw and I think the ultimate scout knife would have one. So I think I would take an Explorer and swap the scissors for a saw.

What would you swap?

hsherzfeld

Basic Member
Hmmm...I like that idea, but I'm not willing to give up the scissors. They're just too darn useful. Can I just add a layer? Because in that case I would add the wood saw layer to the Explorer, or, to put it another way, add the magnifying glass layer to the Huntsman.

If I have to swap a layer, I would swap the Explorer's hook for either the chisel or the 3mm screwdriver.

Gold Member
If I could swap a layer, I'd dump the semi functional 'orange peeler' on the executive for a small combo tool with a real Phillips, or a third knife blade fully serrated like on the Victorinox twine knife.
Carl, I like the idea of the little cap lifter/Phillips like the Rambler has.
I would replace the parcel hook on my Compact with a awl.
I keep looking at a Compact, and the is one thing that sorta keeps me from grabbing one.
Why would I stop at one layer, especially since one you get it apart, swapping and deleting layers is pretty simple.
Cause them are the rules…🤪

Gold Member
The awl will work in the hooks place and I have replaced the corkscrew with the chisel, however with a different back scale. I would add scissors to an 84mm Walker!
Travis, I posted something a couple years ago about the most efficient SAK with the fewest tools. If I remember right I talked about the walker and then later about adding an awl to it, maybe even a corkscrew too.

evenkeel

Gold Member
Assuming we’re limited to current-production models and swapping only (not adding), I’d swap the saw on the Walker for scissors. If adding a layer is allowed, I’d put scissors on a Waiter. For EDC I think a Voyageur-type mod with corkscrew, T&T would light my fire. I like the 91-111mm saw but that normally only comes out on weekends.

Gold Member
The Explorer style Phiilips is too thick to ride on the can opener spring. You can add a second spring and let the layer Phillips ride on two springs, though.

That is a pretty slick set up
I added a saw to a Waiter. Now I can open just about anything. View attachment 1618667
And that’s where I think a corkscrew and an awl to a Walker would be one nice 84mm little package to carry!