If you see me disappear from the net here's why.

Uncle Bill, your computer could be suffering from a Hardware problem or even a software problem. Am thinking that Formatting your hard drive and reinstalling all programs may fix a lot of problems (backing up the data first of course). After lots of use software can get messed up and can cause lots of problems. I sugest having the software checked first.

Checking out the software is a lot less expencive. And for someone with limited funds (like a college student) you normally have to go the cheepest rought possible. Here is an example: For $800 I could build my self a Dang Sweet computer, on the other hand $800 will pay for one Semester here at college or Rent for that Semester. For me it's better to Back up my data, format my hard drive and reinstall all my programs. Spending the $800 on college instead of that new computer, allows me to graduate sooner, get a good job and start making Big Bucks. More money = having more to spend on the ladies and Khukuris. :D Probably not the best compairision but I think you get the idea.

If I'm ever in Reno for a convention (This summer?:D) or family things I wouldn't mind stopping by and lending a hand.

FWI: I'm working on my AAS in Computer networking at a Junior College. Will transfer to a University after granduation. In High school I did an internship at a local family owned Computer shop, and have been building/servicing computers for many years.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Still too complicated.

If you buy a new computer from Dell or someplace like that and tell them what you want to do (that is, not lose everything from your old computer) they can probably do that, though you'll need to pay someone to do the 'set-up', unless you have a computer-savvy friend closeby.

B.

Bill, if it's not too complicated for my mother, it's not too complicated for anybody.

All you'll have to do is open the boxes and plug everything in -- and those people you have packing and shipping khukuris can do that for you -- so all you'll have to do is pay the credit card bill. You can post two specials per day instead of one for a couple of weeks -- call the extra one the "Uncle Bill's New Computer Special."

The way my mother's backup program is set up all she has to do is change to the alternate disk every morning. When she puts the other disk in the drive the computer senses that and it knows what to do all by itself. (We could eliminate the disk changing with a second drive and have it work purely on a schedule instead but it seems a little ridiculous to buy a second drive just to save five seconds of disk changing per day.)

I own a little Dell stock and was planning to buy one of their units. However, I am a bit concerned about a letter from renowned pistolsmith Jack Weigand at www.huntamerica.com in the Rifles and Riflesmithing Forum, entitled "Is Dell Computer Anti-Gun?". I value my pistol as much as my HI khukuri and would be reluctant to buy a Dell if they are discriminating against legitimate businessmen in the firearms industry.

Well, I hope you are backing up (that is, copying) your data regularly onto floppies, at least; e-mail, orders, mailing addresses, financial accounts, computer account information & passwords, etc., etc....

Back