If you were building the shop of your dreams, What would you have that you don't now?

Almost my favorite tool now as I get older is better lighting. I have two 50watt (low voltage) halogen lamps with 18" goose neck flex and magnetic bases. They put out a clean white light and very little heat. I can't imagine grinding with out them after having used them for a year. MSC or Graingers have them on sale often at around $80.

Originally posted by Sylvester
as long has the
fridge had Tequila in it (for after work )
:rolleyes:

Heh, my father has spent most of his life drunk (my whole life) and turned out some of of the finest works of mechanical art I have yet to see to this day.

Thanks for some truly magnificient ideas, lighting, refrigerator, running water, ventilation, they will be included. Library, dust collection system, yes! Power hammers, there will be at least four, two 50 Lb, one 100lb Little Giants, one 100# Beaudry. I am seriously considering a pistol range, why not? The idea of a maid puts a smile on my face!
Keep them comming, I love it.

Don't forget a knife throwing range out back;) I'm working on a indoors range for my shop.

Bobby

Originally posted by Ed Fowler
I am seriously considering a pistol range, why not?

Hey it's not that big a step from shooting range to some Cowboy Action Shooting, ya know some of us don't get to play cowboy every day. ;)

A couple of those metal halide lamp fixtures, 500-1000watts, like at the shows. Keep them on a seperate switch, use them to spot flaws in the finish.
A good size shower and sink area(hot and cold water), with storage behind the mirrors, and under the sink(s), for personal, shaving gear etc. 120V outlets in there, of the safety kind, for electric shaver, blow dryer :eek:, and the like. :D

I'm easily pleased I would like a couple of dust proof cupboards for storing all my sandpaper glue etc etc.

And I would like a bench with draws to store my tools etc.I end up with a pile you can't climb over on the bench.

Make that bench one that does not move when I file.

And every thing the others have already said.

10 x 10 shed not much room for dreams.... yet

well
kit's place sounds like mine I've got 2450 SqF with a den.
and it looks like a goat path.
room is always in need
I will add,, some good women that don't mind cooking for old farts.
and someone to clean up after me. after I make my messes
:D all of the formentiond is great stuff

I sincerely appreciate your thoughts, many of them will be included in the shop.
One thought, how about a central vacuum outfit in the walls?
The way my regular shop vacs are always plugged I wonder how it would be trying to clean a plug out when it is in the wall? Anyone ever been around such animal?

I plan on continuing with my wall to wall carpeting. I have it in my old shop, a friend lays carpet. When he has some old stuff he calls me and I just lay it down over the old. Over the years I now have a good 3 inches of carpet, it insulates the floor well and is easy on feet and knees. With all the steel dust sheep horn and regular dirt and stuff it is not very prone to fire.

Much thing was already said...
But in addition, I would like to have a clean area near of my shop with a
Macintosh G4 and a good laser printer... (to design my knives, surf on the
web and read this forum...)

Alain M-D

I'm not sure if I have read all of the posts or not, so, sorry if someone else has suggested this... In my dream shop I would like to have hearing protection (ear muffs) that double as wireless headphones so that I could listen to my favorite music instead of all of that pounding and grinding.

Rick

by the way... If these haven't been invented yet does anyone want to get a side business going with me???

i have most of the things that i could want in a shop.. but i wouldnt mind upgrades on most of them.

i do want/need a good ventilation system .. which you can immediately tell from all the yuck that is on the floor.
but i have often wondered if there wasnt some way of making the bottom part of my walls lift up so i could just sweep all the dust and stuff out with a blower.
:)

another thing that i am always keeping my eye out for is one of those dentists lights .. the moveable things that can give such good surrounding light.
i have pretty poor lighting in parts of my shop, so this would be a godsend for my finishing table.

personally, i would settle for a roof that doesnt leak when it rains.
:rolleyes:

D.

A shop, what's that? I'd love to have a place of my own. Working in someone else's basement is no fun. Someday I'd also like a real grinder like a Bader or Burr King to replace my Sears Crapsman belt sander. I'd also love a nice big drill press and a bandsaw.

A funny story concerning this...

A friend of mine up in Texarkana had been planning a shop "in the back" for a number of years. He finally retired from being a pharmacist and told his wife that he was really thinking of having it built.

She told him, "You've been talking about doing that for 20 years! I wish you would just go ahead and do it and stop talking about it!".

She goes away for a week long visit out of town at one of her friend's house.

When she comes back, there is a 50 X 70 metal building, complete with concrete slab "in the back". It is a lot bigger than "her" house. Although he had "mentioned" the dimensions to her before she left, I guess it never sunk in just how big a building this size would be.

He now has an "enclosed area" built inside on one side with a complete bathroom and shower. His pool table is there along with refrigerator, TV and air conditioning (and a really nice leather sofa.) I suggested the cleaning lady to him once but he doesn't need "woman-kind" out there getting into his business. He doesn't mind cleaning up after himself.

I must add that these are two of the happiest people I know. He finally got the shop of his dreams and he's out of her hair around the house. He doesn't get all that much done in his shop but at least he's not sitting around just watching TV thinking about all the things that he wished he had done.

C Wilkins

Dear C L:
That is a great story!!! Why do you think I am encouraging Ed to build the shop???

Dear Lifter:
Push me far enough and a frying pan is NOT all I will swing!!!! :)

I know enough now to NEVER be a maid in Ed's shop. I tried that twice...and did not enjoy the consequences. Ed can clean his own shop...in actuality, he would NEVER allow any "maid" in there...no matter how good looking she was!!!!
angie fowler:D

Back